Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Little Funhouse (Semi) Appreciation Thread

• 24-01-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Formed in Kilkenny in 1991 by brothers Brendan and Anthony Morrisey, as well as bassist Gary Deevy, My Little Funhouse didn't have much of the same career most other bands on here that usually get their own appreciation thread do. The difference being that the band were an Irish band signed to a major recording label (Geffen) in a relatively short space of time. I'd also like to apologise to Alan Lawlor, who posted below, for forgetting to include his name as well. Sorry.

My+Little+Funhouse.jpg

The band released their debut album (and also their only album), Standunder, in 1992 - picking up drummer Derek Maher and later ex-Therapy? drummer Graham Hopkins, before touring extensively and supporting the likes of The Ramones, Faith No More and even Guns N' Roses (who they personally thanked in the linear notes of their album). The band's most successful European concert was undoubtedly their opening slot at Slane 92

They moved to LA and began writing a second release, but soon imploded, and pretty much disappeared off the map. With some fans comparing the bands sound to U2 and Pearl Jam there could have been a bright future for this group (especially considering most Metallica fans had to suffer the likes of Candlebox being shoved down their throat as a replacement for Alice In Chains). Perhaps if anyone knows the band members here personally they can shed some light on why it never worked for them?

Anyway, enjoy their rarely seen video for Raintown now....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Used to remember their vinyl records on sale in HMV for 50p!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Cracking Rock band. I'd never heard of them when i turned up at Slane in '92,thought they handled playing on a huge stage at such a huge gig quite well. I think they suffered badly from the "next GN'R" tag that they got lumbered with(supporting GN'R and signed to Geffen).

Standunder is an excellent album,some great tracks with my personal favourite being Catholic Boy. Great Guitars complimented by a solid rhythm section and stunning vocals make it a great listen.

Seen them again in late '92 iirc at the Tivoli,there must've been only 100 people at it despite their increased profile. I met one of the Morrissey brothers at a Velvet Revolver gig at the Ambassador a few years ago,said they were going to get back together again and give it another shot. They've said on their Facebook page that they're working on new material but no news yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    I met one of the Morrissey brothers at a Velvet Revolver gig at the Ambassador a few years ago,said they were going to get back together again and give it another shot. They've said on their Facebook page that they're working on new material but no news yet.

Cool, I must ask for a link for that

Personally I would love to see a revival of some description and I would hope there would be a few people around who would be interested in going to a few dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

never got these lads at all :confused::confused::confused:

what did they go onto do when the band broke up the first time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Dreadful name for a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alan lawlor

believe me lads there was never any hope of the band getting back together

believe me lads there was never any hope of the band getting back together

Well I never expected this to happen!

Thanks for posting man, could you share some information that I might have missed in my post, or is there anything you might like to add from a personal standpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I still remember Slane '92 when everywhere else in Europe got Soundgarden but we got these. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

haha what next, a Kerbdog appreciation thread?! :pac: why did these remind me of Ugly Kid Joe or something..

I still remember Slane '92 when everywhere else in Europe got Soundgarden but we got these. :(

I'm sure you got plenty of more chances at seeing Soundgarden

Personally, I would have given my right arm to see Brian May:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Metallergy wrote: »
    haha what next, a Kerbdog appreciation thread?! :pac: why did these remind me of Ugly Kid Joe or something..

Kerbdog were a pretty decent band in their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Kerbdog were a pretty decent band in their time.

got a lot of exposure on headbanger's ball too.. good scene in kilkenny through the '90s i remember battle showed up at a party at my pals' digs. good memories of that place

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Luffas

Alan Lawlor is by far the best singer ever to come from Ireland. He is so unique. He has a good acoustic called Laughing on soundcloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Such a disappointment missed out on soundgarden for that crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Kerbdog's second album was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Didn't some (at least 2) of this band reform as "Tripswitch" back in '97? I saw them at the Conna gig in Cork that summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

On The Turn was a superb album. polished, full of hooks and easy to listen to.

shame it was a case of right place at the wrong time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

miece16 wrote: »
    On The Turn was a superb album. polished, full of hooks and easy to listen to.

shame it was a case of right place at the wrong time

Happened to numerous bands. I remember Battle making some snide comment about At The Drive In. Something to do with there afro's. More or less saying if we had the same style, we'd have been huge too.

Computer says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Saw M.L.F in the "Back of the Mansion" in Waterford around 92,
    I remember them tripping the fuses because they were soo loud!! :)
    Great band, great gigs.
    I still have their songs pop up on my Shuffle list ....
    When i was in a cover band back around that time , we actually covered "I want some of that".... our poor singer had no chance with that vocal !!!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement