Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

canon 40D shutter issue

• 24-01-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hope someone can help me with this, my canon 40d suddenly developed a fault. Each time i press the shutter the mirror goes up and then the camera shuts itself off with the mirror only coming down again when I've removed and reinserted the battery.

I've done some looking around on the internet and it looks like it's an issue with the shutter, but was hoping someone here might know if this is something I can fix myself?

I have tried changing lenses, batteries and memory cards as well trying to see if the shutter worked without memory card inserted or with the battery grip and resetting the camera. I've also checked whether it works in live view and whether mirror lockup is on but no joy so far.

Not sure what else I can try myself so any suggestions will be much appreciated. If this is something that will need to be repaired by an offcial repairer does anyone know roughly how much this would cost? Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Could you have enabled mirror lockup in the custom functions by accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

That was my first guess (well when my moment of panic was over) but no, unfortunately not. Actually, I should have said that when the mirror goes up everything else stops working, there's response from any button and the top lcd screen goes blank too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Looks like similar problem>http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=165319

Send zerohamster a PM, he might be able to help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hey,

From your description it sounds like your shutter has died.
    It can be caused by a large number of faults within the shutter mechanism but to get to the shutter mechanism it requires complete disassembly and soldering and probably not a DIY unfortunately as parts are required.

I could take a look at it for you if you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Thanks that would be great - I sent you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

If Zerohamster cant fix it no-one can!!Highly recommend him:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

hoganpoly wrote: »
    If Zerohamster cant fix it no-one can!!Highly recommend him:)

+ 1 for that. Iv had repairs done by zerohamster and he is very good to deal with.

Advertisement