Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Downs Grade Separation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They certainly appear to be trying to keep the existing surface on the running lanes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Junction under construction....

IMG_1260-001.jpg

Link road to junction......

IMG_1258-001.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm amazed at how wide the central median between the concrete barriers is. Pretty roomy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how wide the central median between the concrete barriers is. Pretty roomy!

Yes, and that leas me to ask are they planning on widening the DC to have a hard shoulder at the sides?

I would think that the section being upgraded should have a complete resurfacing/new cat's eyes installed in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nice pics Bill :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, and that leas me to ask are they planning on widening the DC to have a hard shoulder at the sides?
    Pretty sure that's in there alright. I was referring more to the fact that if they give themselves such a wide median, where'll they get the room to add hard shoulders from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Pretty sure that's in there alright. I was referring more to the fact that if they give themselves such a wide median, where'll they get the room to add hard shoulders from?

IIRC this had a reasonable grass median with existing hard shoulders, so I don't think the hard shoulders will be too much of a problem.

See bills pic from earlier in the thread

IMG_0459-2.jpg

there's minimal shoulder on some sections though, 1 metre or so

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Are those concrete barriers with the room between them new, or existing?

tharlear wrote: »
    Are those concrete barriers with the room between them new, or existing?

New

The previous median was grass with a hedge/wire rope mess as the 'barrier'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Why two barriers? Why not just have one on one side:confused:

Typewriter wrote: »
    Why two barriers? Why not just have one on one side:confused:

Hmmmmm.....good question!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Was on the n4 near the roadhouse today and i see they have all the tm towards the downs,iam just wondering as a cost cutting measure is there a chance they ill hit the resurfacing on the head and just burn of the old road markings and repaint?

roadmaster wrote: »
    am just wondering as a cost cutting measure is there a chance they ill hit the resurfacing on the head and just burn of the old road markings and repaint?

Every chance :D!

First section of barrier they were working on (around the Roadhouse) is completed and all siteworks / cones are gone. It definitely looks like they are NOT resurfacing the road, which is a pity as there's even very visible markings left for the old (gone) turn lanes.

They're now working on the barrier around where the bridge is going in (the opposite end of the scheme); there was some concrete barrier installed here from day 1 which is mostly broken up now and most of the median is dug out.

Middle section is still untouched basically. Think there's only two unblocked median crossings left at the moment though.

I dont think they can touch the middle section untill the bridge is up and running cause if they block the downs exit people have a long detour from killucan etc. Maybe they are awaiting for all major works to be finished before they resurface as you could risk damaging a new surface with the a25s and machines knocking round. I cant believe they would leave the surface the way it is outside the roadhouse then again anything is possable these days

Drove through the work area today and had some comments:

- Less work completed than I expected. Concrete barrier is down but there appears to be no work done on widening the shoulders. Are they doing this within the current footprint (i.e. by narrowing lanes) or is this work being left to the end?
    - Some work completed on the new junction. Mainline is narrowed to 1 lane each way through the construction zone and abutments are up. Work area for the ramps is cleared, didn't see any progress on building those though.
    - Many of the road/median closures are already in place, with diversions marked (i.e. "Use Exit n").

It does look awfull tight in places for a HS also there seams to be a bit trouble coming down the line according to the barman in the roadhouse.when i poped in for some dinner the other nite apperently siac want to close the downs jnc now without the bridge in place which is not going down well in the area

roadmaster wrote: »
    It does look awfull tight in places for a HS also there seams to be a bit trouble coming down the line according to the barman in the roadhouse.when i poped in for some dinner the other nite apperently siac want to close the downs jnc now without the bridge in place which is not going down well in the area
    Saw the Roadhouse. Will access be via the new junction in future or what's the idea here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Saw the Roadhouse. Will access be via the new junction in future or what's the idea here?
    I don't think there's any real changes planned for the Roadhouses' junction. The plan is only to eliminate median breaks, not to upgrade the road to motorway specification.

• Advertisement

From what i understand u will still enter as usuall if going east but if u want to memback to mullingar u can either take a left turn up the road 100 meters about which will bring u back towards mullingar on back roads for some reason this road is not being closed or u head for the new jnc at flynns to get turned

Bridge deck was being worked on last week. Still a large section of the median installation in the middle of the stretch untouched but this goes up quickly as the section already done shows.

Bridge deck in, ramps have at least one layer of asphalt on them. Support pillars for the footbridge (which I forgot was being done) are in, and a long section of barrier at the Dublin end of the scheme has been put in.

Still no work on barrier between the bridge and the very first section they did near Mullingar though.

Still doubt it'll be all done before the end of the year by any means but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Signs up and barriers in place near Flynns Fuel Depot. Looks like they might have that section open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Signs up and barriers in place near Flynns Fuel Depot. Looks like they might have that section open soon.

Planning to drive this way home for xmas, how is the scheme shaping up? Do you think there'll be much delays from works still in progress?

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Planning to drive this way home for xmas, how is the scheme shaping up? Do you think there'll be much delays from works still in progress?

Little or no delays. The traffic slows up a wee bit when it goes from two into one lane but then it picks up again. Unless you get stuck behind a tractor of course. Other than that it's grand.

id say the junction will be open for christmass do the can close the current junction for the downs,but they have a couple months still of work a head with barriers and stuff to fimish. It was also in the original contract that carriageway would be resurfaced just short of lidl buti dont know if thats still goin ahead

Part of this opened today.

Part of this opened today.
    What exactly, the mainline, or part of the new junction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

What exactly, the mainline, or part of the new junction?

The new bridge looked to be open last time I past it on Monday night.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement