Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Working & Summer Work in Australia

Options
  • 24-01-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Thought passed through my mind today about going to Australia to work for June to August 2011 (Not spur of the moment, I've traveled a good bit but never as far) I'm a full time student here in Ireland. Two questions:

1) What type of Visa do I need to work in Australia for the summer?

2) What type of weather can I expect? From talking to a friend who is Australian he said its varied by where you go. I'd be looking at Perth, Sydney or Brisbane. I'm aware of the climate difference but would it be worth going in our summer to Australia's winter?

Any tips or advice gladly welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

The visa your looking at would be

Working Holiday

The weather

Well there winters really are like our summers . Prob better as the days don't get as hot as they do in Oz Summer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Might be a bit of a waste to use your WHV for 3 months as you'll only get one (a year long visa, which once started cant be stopped or 'paused'). Do you think you'll ever look to go to Aus to work again?

Also might be hard to land a job for such a short period. Then again temping would work out well.

Weather in Sydney and Melbourne isnt great at all in June/July/Aug, you wouldn't be hanging out on the beaches etc. Perth probably be better weather wise for those months.

Bit of a pessimistic post...sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Doop wrote: »
    Might be a bit of a waste to use your WHV for 3 months as you'll only get one (a year long visa, which once started cant be stopped or 'paused'). Do you think you'll ever look to go to Aus to work again?

Also might be hard to land a job for such a short period. Then again temping would work out well.

Weather in Sydney and Melbourne isnt great at all in June/July/Aug, you wouldn't be hanging out on the beaches etc. Perth probably be better weather wise for those months.

Bit of a pessimistic post...sorry!

I agree. It would be a waste to use the 1year visa for only a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I agree, 2 months to work and that is your visa gone forever

Do a google for the weather
    Brisbane would be nice enough (but not amazing)
    Sydney would be cold in July (yes cold) and okay in August (can get nice days, but get very cold wet days too)
    No idea about Perth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Be advised you are wasting that visa on a 3 month trip. Borrow some cash and use a tourist visa , do not play the WHV card just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I imagine the OP was looking for some sort of short-term student work visa, basically a J1
    The bas news is that these isn't such a visa in australia.

So options are;
    1) A tourist visa, typically 3 months, 6 month option available - Cannot work on this visa
    2) A working holiday visa - 12 months - you only get 1 - (a 2nd is only possible if you do 3months farm work).

As mentioned, it's be very stupid to waste your only WHV on a short holiday. you may not have plans to return to Oz for 12months not, but you might in a year or two. look at how many people who were very secure 4 years ago who are looking at every option now. A WHV is often a gateway to a longer term visa such as 457 or residency.

My advice, get part time job now, save up and take 2-3 mnoths to see as much of oz as possible. Return with a little insight to australia, and the option to return on a WHV.

or

Go to america on a J1 if you absolutely 100% need to work during your holiday to support yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

What he said ^

Borrow some money, travel around a bit..
    If you came here for 3 months to work it won't be too much different to working at home (if you can get it). You wont get to see much of Australia if you're working full time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I arrived in Perth in sept and it was still a bit cold. So if you cant work I dont think it'd be worth your while. As already said there is no point in wasting the working holiday visa.

Maybe go to South East Asia, super cheap and right craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Sydney is depressing in winter. Apparently it used to be at the standard of our summer, but climate change and all that jazz means its more like out October or late March these days- not freezing but nippy and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Cheers for all the replies folks. I was talking about the Visa today with a mate and he mentioned the once-off 12 month nature. So I take that onboard. I'm sort of at a junction where it would make sense to work a summer abroad as it would be one of my last chances to. A J1 is an option but securiing work would be more difficult (I may have a contact in Australia for near guaranteed work). On the plus side, better weather.

Thanks again folks. I'll keep milling away :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement