Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popup Message when powering on

Options
  • 24-01-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

When I power up my Laptop (Dell Vostro 1000), the following message pops up: "script../../../../sscommon/common/inc/ss_lockdown.js Failed to Load"
    I press "OK" and another window pops up:
    "script../../../../sscommon/common/inc/ss_log.js Failed to Load" and then I press "OK" again and I am good to go.
    But I would love to know what all that means. Should I do something about it or just ignore it as it does not seem to do any harm.

Thanks to all who take the trouble to respond. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That looks a bit suspect - something that's invoking a javascript is trying to automatically run when you start up/log in.

Easiest way to check it is to go to Start > Run and type "msconfig", then press OK. Go to the startup tab and check each entry, until you see one ending in either ss_lockdown.js or ss_log.js. Uncheck the tickbox for it, then look for another entry with the other .js file. Uncheck that too, then click OK.

Reboot, and see if it persists.

If it were my computer, I'd be loading up my legitimate and up-to-date anti-virus software and running a full system scan, in case anything dodgy's found it's way onto my machine. I'd strongly suggest you do the same. If you don't already have one, consider using one of the free offerings like AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, or Avira. You could also use something like Trend's Housecall or F-Secure's ONline Scan, or even the F-Secure Rescue CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Spartacus1811

Thanks for reply. I will try this tonight and tell you how I got on. Running "Kingsoft Antivirus" on this machine and also "Super Anti-Spyware" which I finde great (even better than Malwarebyts).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Spartacus1811

HI, have done all you suggested (did not finde anything in msconfig.) I did a full scan but its still there. What can I do now??

Advertisement