Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an invite...

Options
  • 24-01-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Well lads. Unfortunately my .270 permit came through too late to get deer stalking permission organised for this season. I thought I had it sorted in a few places but you know how these things work out...

Anyway, I was hoping that one of you fine fellows might take me out for an afternoon's stalk before the end of the season. I know I'm sticking my neck out a bit, but sure if you don't ask...

I can of course return the favour, the best I have to offer is some pretty good rabbit ground and goat stalking. This is of course in Co.Antrim- but if you don't mind the miles you're more than welcome!

I'm not looking to poach anyone's permission; I'll have my own copper-fastened for next season...

Anyway lads, thanks in advance- it'd probably be best to reply by PM, if I am lucky enough to get an offer the whole country will be asking you to take them too! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

If you fancy a trip this far south (Kerry) we might be able to shake out the odd sika...if we can't find one(they can be scarse) you can always enjoy the sceanery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Glensman wrote: »
    Well lads. Unfortunately my .270 permit came through too late to get deer stalking permission organised for this season. I thought I had it sorted in a few places but you know how these things work out...

Anyway, I was hoping that one of you fine fellows might take me out for an afternoon's stalk before the end of the season. I know I'm sticking my neck out a bit, but sure if you don't ask...

I can of course return the favour, the best I have to offer is some pretty good rabbit ground and goat stalking. This is of course in Co.Antrim- but if you don't mind the miles you're more than welcome!

I'm not looking to poach anyone's permission; I'll have my own copper-fastened for next season...

Anyway lads, thanks in advance- it'd probably be best to reply by PM, if I am lucky enough to get an offer the whole country will be asking you to take them too! :D

Is it that you have your deer cal rifle first and then you get permission.
    It's the other way around down this way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

4gun wrote: »
    If you fancy a trip this far south (Kerry) we might be able to shake out the odd sika...if we can't find one(they can be scarse) you can always enjoy the sceanery

True enough. Was down yesterday and it's as beautiful as ever.

True enough. Was down yesterday and it's as beautiful as ever.

shooting at An Riocht?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Is it that you have your deer cal rifle first and then you get permission.
    It's the other way around down this way

Up here's actually worse. I have the .270 for control of goats. To get a deer legal calibre here you have to pass a Deer Stalking certificate, but then even if you do pass- deer are fairly scarce and are mostly belong some Lord of the Manor absentee lanlord and they charge big money for the pleasure of shooting Irish deer around Irish forestry...

I wouldn't necessarily use my own rifle if I was going out with someone else, I have my European Firearms Pass and my non-resident certificate, but I don't yet have a deer stalking permit.

If there were deer around here the way they are around other parts of the country I would have no bother getting permission to shoot them here, and so would do my DSC- but the deer just aren't on the ground...

• Advertisement

Jesus it's a while distance! I might see if I can swing it though- I took the girlfriend to Tralee last year and we enjoyed it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Up here's actually worse. I have the .270 for control of goats. To get a deer legal calibre here you have to pass a Deer Stalking certificate, but then even if you do pass- deer are fairly scarce and are mostly belong some Lord of the Manor absentee lanlord and they charge big money for the pleasure of shooting Irish deer around Irish forestry...

I wouldn't necessarily use my own rifle if I was going out with someone else, I have my European Firearms Pass and my non-resident certificate, but I don't yet have a deer stalking permit.

If there were deer around here the way they are around other parts of the country I would have no bother getting permission to shoot them here, and so would do my DSC- but the deer just aren't on the ground...

Well as 4 gun said you are welcome down to Kerry. I shoot with him down there. We have goats there also so you could bring along your .270 as you have the proper paper to be legal in the south

Jesus it's a while distance! I might see if I can swing it though- I took the girlfriend to Tralee last year and we enjoyed it! :D
    if she liked Tralee, she'll love Killarney
    ..bring her down for Valentines...just dont tell her your going shooting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

shooting at An Riocht?

No, stalking, though I have been down to An Riocht before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Just on a side note I would not hesitate bout doing your DSC, it's a very very informative course run by 2 very knowledgable guys. I know it's not that cheap but well worth every penny. I did mine few years back in Colebrook near fivemiletown, theres course starting in feb
    http://www.bds.org.uk/course_dates.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

dan, do your dsc through S.A.C.S Mate £100 and only over 1 day. Oh Did you know its not a necessity. PSNI know this.

tfox wrote: »
    Just on a side note I would not hesitate bout doing your DSC, it's a very very informative course run by 2 very knowledgable guys. I know it's not that cheap but well worth every penny. I did mine few years back in Colebrook near fivemiletown, theres course starting in feb
    http://www.bds.org.uk/course_dates.html

I was going to do in in Colebrook and had studied for it, but I just couldn;t afford it at the time.
    Mayfly36 was telling me that SACS are now doing the same course for much less money so I think myself and him might do it this year... I love learning and would like to do it for my own benefit, but it wont get me any stalking up here!

if she liked Tralee, she'll love Killarney
    ..bring her down for Valentines...just dont tell her your going shooting :D

We're actually going to Killarney for a wedding in April (I think)- Too late for deer stalking :o

I'll actually run it by her! Thanks for the invite lads, if I could bag one deer before the end of this season I'd be over the moon!

I was going to do in in Colebrook and had studied for it, but I just couldn;t afford it at the time.
    Mayfly36 was telling me that SACS are now doing the same course for much less money so I think myself and him might do it this year... I love learning and would like to do it for my own benefit, but it wont get me any stalking up here!

TBH you wont get through much in a day, I'm sure you've seen how thick the manual is :rolleyes: If ya can I'd save up for the four days, definitely worth the xtra bucks in the long run. Can offer Fallow in the midlands if you're interested...?

psni have come to an agreement with s.a.c.s, here in the north that the full course would not be necessary. So sacs have come up with the minimum relevant parts off the course that would meet the psni criteria. In other words instead off the 4 or 5 parts that are studied ofr on the lmainland, only 2 sections have been agreed here.

mayfly36 wrote: »
    psni have come to an agreement with s.a.c.s, here in the north that the full course would not be necessary. So sacs have come up with the minimum relevant parts off the course that would meet the psni criteria. In other words instead off the 4 or 5 parts that are studied ofr on the lmainland, only 2 sections have been agreed here.

Not to get side-tracked from the generous offers of deer stalking... But out of interest, what 2 parts are in the test?

Not to get side-tracked from the generous offers of deer stalking... But out of interest, what 2 parts are in the test?

I'm guessing they have omitted anything to do with roe, muntjac and CWD :confused:

Dan no further update yet, but this is form their latest magazine, just a small clip.

"DMQ Level 1 is not necessary at all – the actual wording in the
    guidance notes is ‘Hunting large animals with powerful rifles
    requires particular skill and applicants should have completed
    a recognised deerstalking course.’ and it is therefore only a
    matter of deciding what would be accepted as a ‘recognised’
    course.
    SACS is now preparing a
    course which will address all of
    the aspects of the DMQ which
    we feel are relevant, together
    with some sections which we
    feel would be useful but are
    not currently contained in the
    DMQ.
    apparently 1 section has to do with firearms regulation here. Dont hold me to that.
    Good luck on your invite, no better man to tag along.

i also heard that the refrigeration part is ommited.

tfox wrote: »
    I'm guessing they have omitted anything to do with roe, muntjac and CWD :confused:

That would make sense. When I was studying for the DSC the first time around there was a lot of stuff that was basically unnecessary. Although a lot was very interesting!
    Dan no further update yet, but this is form their latest magazine, just a small clip.

"DMQ Level 1 is not necessary at all – the actual wording in the
    guidance notes is ‘Hunting large animals with powerful rifles
    requires particular skill and applicants should have completed
    a recognised deerstalking course.’ and it is therefore only a
    matter of deciding what would be accepted as a ‘recognised’
    course.
    SACS is now preparing a
    course which will address all of
    the aspects of the DMQ which
    we feel are relevant, together
    with some sections which we
    feel would be useful but are
    not currently contained in the
    DMQ.
    apparently 1 section has to do with firearms regulation here. Dont hold me to that.
    Good luck on your invite, no better man to tag along.

Let me know when SACS get the course set up mate. £100 is more than fair for another qualification on the CV ;)
    I didn't renew with BASC this year so I'll probably join SACS when I get a few pound together...

• Advertisement

They have it set up now, i have my application here to fill in, so need to get the cash away for the relevant information to be sent. Contact the scottish branch to get your forms, you dont have to join to do the course, unlike other well known orginisations, they have opened the course to anyone. Now thats a association to belong to.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭driller2

well glensman i am living in south tipp. you are more than weclome to come down for a days shooting here.its all fallow shooting down here .i am looking for a days goats shooting in return with a buddy of mine.:D

They have it set up now, i have my application here to fill in, so need to get the cash away for the relevant information to be sent. Contact the scottish branch to get your forms, you dont have to join to do the course, unlike other well known orginisations, they have opened the course to anyone. Now thats a association to belong to.

Well i'll talk to about it in person mate and we'll see if we can do it on the same day...
    driller2 wrote: »
    well glensman i am living in south tipp. you are more than weclome to come down for a days shooting here.its all fallow shooting down here .i am looking for a days goats shooting in return with a buddy of mine.:D

Driller, thanks very much. I might take you up on that one!
    You and your friend are more than welcome to goat stalking as I said, like deer stalking it's half luck. One day you'll find them straight away and the next it's little goat, a lotta stalking!

When does the deer season actually end? :confused:

dont know about the south, but here its........
    NORTHERN IRELAND
    RED
    FALLOW
    SIKA
    RED/SIKA HYBRIDS
    STAG HIND
    Aug 1st – April 30th Nov 1st – Feb 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭driller2

The last day of february.

driller2 wrote: »
    The last day of february.