Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connectivity

Options
  • 24-01-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

We have Digiweb BB at work which is connected to a cisco 800 series router. A 16 port switch is then connected to the router which patches into the patch panel. We have 10 PCs wired all working ok. We just purchased 2 basic laptops and want to connect wirelessly. Can I connect a basic router to one of the ethernet sockets anywhere in the building that is connected to the switch in order to get wireless connectivity or will the Cisco router need to have a wireless card installed ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can just connect a wireless access point. Make sure DHCP is switched off on the access point. Also make sure you use at least WPA2/PSK encryption and a strong password.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nooneuno

Thanks FSL. So is that NO to the router then, will it work at all this way?? The reason I ask is we have a router here that we can use but I am wondering about IP address assignment as the Cisco 800 series is providing IP addresses via DHCP and we have no access to this router. The address range is 8x.xx.xxx.xxx.

What router is it. Most routers have a little button on the back which returns them to the factory settings. The IP address and default user and password are normally on a sticker on the back of the router. if not you can get them of the manufactures site.

Connect a PC or laptop to the router. Use a browser to get to the configuration page.

Change the default password. Turn of DHCP and set up the wireless with encryption, NOT WEP, and a strong password.

I am assuming the router you have is a wireless router.

When connecting the router to the laptop use a LAN port, when connecting it to the network switch use the WAN port.

I have no problem with the new routers configuration i.e. resetting defaults and logging into the router and setting an IP etc but i am not sure what IP address to assign as the router i intend to use is in the 192.168.0 range and the Cisco router is in the 8x.xxx.xxx range. i am unsure if I can assign an address from the 8x range statically to my new router as Digiweb are providing these address via DHCP. Essentailly I want to use a second router within the same subnet as an access point.

You shouldn't need to assign the router any IP address, as long as you turn DHCP off on the router.

I've not used a Digiweb router you may need to put it in bridge mode to just use it as an access point.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the slow pick up..now I know what your saying. Turn off DHCP on the new router. Bridge mode maybe the answer. Thanx alot.

Advertisement