Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

deluded and sick person?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

steddyeddy wrote: »
    how does a person saying what goes around comes around about a innocent woman considered simply immature? A immature person wouldnt imply an innocent person would bring about their own death.Only a bigot would display sectarian views around a persons death! Were the troubles down to immaturity?

We don't know they're sectarian views. They may be and then again, they may not. She didn't say 'She got hers because she's a catholic'.

It's immature because it's a stupid ignorant (possibly sectarian but there's only circumstantial evidence of that) stance to take, from a 19 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Snakeblood wrote: »
    We don't know they're sectarian views. They may be and then again, they may not. She didn't say 'She got hers because she's a catholic'.

It's immature because it's a stupid ignorant (possibly sectarian but there's only circumstantial evidence of that) stance to take, from a 19 year old.

who only a mentally il person would condemn a innocent person to deserving death? she was either sectarian or ill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Admit it now how many of yas searched for her on facebook to see what she looks like?:rolleyes:

I know I couldnt find her either!:mad:

Susanne Morrison apparently....

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/harte-tragedy-newspaper-photographers-sick-facebook-messages-about-michaela-15062387.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

who only a mentally il person would condemn a innocent person to deserving death? she was either sectarian or ill!
    Maybe neither, maybe just a nasty person?

She didn't kill anyone. I've often said Sean FitzPatrick should be shot. Now do I seriously mean that or am I venting frustration?

She didn't kill anyone. I've often said Sean FitzPatrick should be shot. Now do I seriously mean that or am I venting frustration?

what??? Did i say she killed anyone? sean fotzpatrick got away with sh1t yes but what did micheala do that people should be angry about let alone pin blame on her murder squarley on her

what??? Did i say she killed anyone? sean fotzpatrick got away with sh1t yes but what did micheala do that people should be angry about let alone pin blame on her murder squarley on her

I don't know what Michaela did. You don't either. I'm not saying she did anything at all to deserve it. I'm saying that immature people say stupid things, and to deem it mentally ill betrays a basic lack of understanding of human nature.

Unfortunately people can say mean things, without being evil or disturbed.

I don't know what Michaela did. You don't either. I'm not saying she did anything at all to deserve it. I'm saying that immature people say stupid things, and to deem it mentally ill betrays a basic lack of understanding of human nature.

Unfortunately people can say mean things, without being evil or disturbed.

yes i do i know she dfidnt do anything to deserve murder, i dont think its immaturity and if it is immaturity has dropped a few level.

yes i do i know she dfidnt do anything to deserve murder, i dont think its immaturity and if it is immaturity has dropped a few level.

Well, that's the thing about immaturity. It always surprises you.

I'm not trying to annoy you, and if you knew her sorry for the loss.

Well, that's the thing about immaturity. It always surprises you.

I'm not trying to annoy you, and if you knew her sorry for the loss.

i know your not tryin to annoy me thats the thing about free speech you can call my posts retarded and i wouldnt take offence :P everyones entitled to disagree. i didnt know her and i dont think her death was more important than say the two killed in limerick the same weekend. i just got the impression there could be more too it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is there a precedent for this though, I may stroll over to the legal eagles over in Legal forum.

She wrote something on her own personal facebook, it was discovered and she got sacked.
    It wasn't a newspaper article and nothing to say it was even done in the office.

I don't know, sounds like an interesting legal case that someone may take to a tribunal

I spend half my time on boards over in Ranting and Ravings fuming over various topics! Nothing controversial but maybe you're saying if my boss finds my boards username and disagrees with me I can be fired?
    Sounds wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

It's a personal opinion that she didn't attempt to put out at the paper, that wasn't racist sexist, homophobic or apparently bigoted. She was saying there were more important things going on..

It was a personal opinion that she should have had more sense to post. Her facebook was totally public, and the fact that she alluded to 'what goes around comes around' and comments like that suggest a lot more than what was reported.

Its common knowledge (I would have thought at least) that you dont post opinions of a controversial nature than can be realted back to your industry as it will impact negatively on your career. As I said earlier, I completely understand where she was coming from, I actually agreed with some of her sentiment, but it was naive for her to post publicly considering she is so closely related to the media industry. She also put her comments across in a pretty vulgar way that wasnt really helping her case imo...
    stovelid wrote: »
    She would probably have a technically half-decent case against her sacking - given that her posting was in no way related with the paper - but she wouldn't have a hope in hell of being heard fairly given the emotive nature of the topic she was discussing and the mob emotion it can stir - especially in the North.

When I said she 'deserved it' , I probably should have been more careful in my wording. I meant deserved on an emotive level, not a legal one. As I said, hard lesson learned but maybe she'll be a bit more savvy with her opinions/public posting in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

Is there a precedent for this though, I may stroll over to the legal eagles over in Legal forum.

She wrote something on her own personal facebook, it was discovered and she got sacked.
    It wasn't a newspaper article and nothing to say it was even done in the office.

I don't know, sounds like an interesting legal case that someone may take to a tribunal

I spend half my time on boards over in Ranting and Ravings fuming over various topics! Nothing controversial but maybe you're saying if my boss finds my boards username and disagrees with me I can be fired?
    Sounds wrong

It may be their personal page on Facebook but, if it's open to everyone, then they knowingly post comments that can be seen by anyone from anywhere; therefore if they post controversial comments, they shouldn't be surprised when there is a negative reaction.

For instance here in the US, people have been fired for posting negative comments about their employers on their Facebook pages. You'd think that people would have the common sense to set their status to private if they feel the need to vent, but they'd rather take the risk of being caught just to reach more people with their complaints. Then they're shocked when it comes back to bite them in the ass!

In this case, Suzanne Morrison voiced her negative opinion publicly; if she wanted to keep it between friends, she should have set her page to friends only. Unfortunately for her the 'wrong' people saw it and now she's paying the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

This is just another reason for me to know I did the right thing a few weeks ago of closing my FB page. too many sick people out there and soap boxes is what they dont need.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

“Thousands of people die terrible deaths every day through diseases and whatever so what makes her so special."

I sort of share that sentiment.
    While it certainly was horrible what happened, I had never heard of this Michaela woman before, and after 2 weeks got rather sick of the issue taking up so much news coverage. I had to go back to non-Irish and even non-English news sources to find out what actually interesting and important things were happening in the world while RTE reported on nothing but that poor woman being murdered for weeks. Yes, it annoyed me. Let her rest in peace, and get her out of the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Think that above comment is well off as RTE were one of the ones not to report much on this murder - even the BBC had latest news on arrests etc while the RTE site were about two days behind events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Renn wrote: »
    Think that above comment is well off as RTE were one of the ones not to report much on this murder - even the BBC had latest news on arrests etc while the RTE site were about two days behind events.

I wouldn't know how up to date they were with their coverage, as I said I'm not interested in somebody I never heard of getting murdered.
    It happens thousands of times a day all over the world, it's not news to me.

I don't usually watch the BBC news, so I first heard about it on RTE, as they devoted their entire 6 o'clock news to the story. Apparently, nothing else had happened anywhere in the world that day that was worth even mentioning, and it stayed that way for pretty much a week.
    I tried to avoid it and find out what was going on in the world by actually watching the BBC, only to find the same non-news stories there as well.
    In short, I relied on US and German news for about 2 weeks to actually get any news coverage at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Who really cares what some teenage muppet thinks? She's an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

the 'what goes around comes around comment / karma' was bang out of line implying that the girl deserved her fate.....instant sackable offence imo & just a horribly nasty thing to say

....but a lot of her other comments were not out of line but were printed in the papers implying they were as bad....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Shenshen wrote: »
    I wouldn't know how up to date they were with their coverage, as I said I'm not interested in somebody I never heard of getting murdered.
    It happens thousands of times a day all over the world, it's not news to me.

I don't usually watch the BBC news, so I first heard about it on RTE, as they devoted their entire 6 o'clock news to the story. Apparently, nothing else had happened anywhere in the world that day that was worth even mentioning, and it stayed that way for pretty much a week.
    I tried to avoid it and find out what was going on in the world by actually watching the BBC, only to find the same non-news stories there as well.
    In short, I relied on US and German news for about 2 weeks to actually get any news coverage at all.

Nah I was just pulling you up on your "while RTE reported on nothing but that poor woman being murdered for weeks" comment which is clearly just a load of bull. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't devout a good chunk of time to the story when it happened.

Just relax and check the internet for news if you get so worried from time to time that you're missing out. I wouldn't rely solely on the tv if you're that desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭barnaclebill

There is definitely some strange people out there, especially in Down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

KeithAFC wrote: »
    As a loyalist and from a Protestant background,

Religion is irrelevant Keith, I am from a Protestant background and you don't hear me proclaiming it whenvever the oportunity rises...
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    She should know better if she looks at her own history on this Island.

It is called Ireland, and why do you have island spelt with a capital I, it is a noun, nouns don't begin with a capital unless they are the first word of a sentence,it is laughable people like you try to avoid using the word Ireland no matter what,because you are so prejudiced.

In regards to the main post, I see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

humanji wrote: »
    Wait? A teenager said something silly on the internet? Has the world turned topsy turvy?

I thought Stevejr hit the nail on the head but hat's off to Humanji's brilliant and brief sum up. I've worked with teenage girls for twenty years.... and this girls facebook posting is the kind of gossipy crap that tumbles out of their mouths ALL THE TIME!! God bless them, but they can be awful self righteous eejits. That's teens for ya!! And boy did that lassie pay for it.:rolleyes:

Advertisement