Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VJing/Mapping

Options
  • 24-01-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Just wondering if anyone here is into VJing or artwork/performances using projection mapping? I'd like to hear from anyone gigging/exhibiting/hobbying to see what other people are up to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Haven't quite gotten into projection mapping yet, although it's been on my mind to work on a basic project on it recently. What software do you use for performing it live?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Distance

Hey Daddio, great to hear from you.

I used to use Resolume Avenue - it has a good corner pinning feature for mapping and mixing in real-time. I use mapping for installations rather than performances so I use vvvv (PC only) - I've read it's not the ideal piece of software to use if you want to jump between multiple clips, but for a completely modifiable way to map objects it's the best I've found.
    These are my latest couple of projects of my work using vvvv on Vimeo.

For a set-up where you know where the projector will be during performance you can work from photographs - just make sure your camera is set to your projector's lens (usually 28mm) and use any software for the performance - I like ArKaos or VPT for that kind of set-up because it allows you more layers than Resolume, so you can keep layers as masks without compromising your content.

Checked out your stuff, very impressive (also added you on vimeo - would be interested to see your future uploads ;) ). I know technically how projection-mapping works, but it's still awesome to look at! Really must give it a go and see what I can come up with. I've used vvvv once or twice, but I've mainly used processing or pd/gem in the past for video projects so I'd be approaching it from a slightly differently. Do you exhibit your installations with your own sound too?

Just checking out your stuff - that's some seriously impreesive work - top class! The way you're approaching it is a totally different direction from me. I've no background whatsoever in programming, so I work with animation software and only use vvvv for the output. It's only lately that I've been trying to get a handle on ActionScript and thinking about Processing (I'd like to get into using Arduino). It's fantastic that all your stuff is open source - I try for it as much as I can but I tend to fall back on After Effects for convenience sake. I'm interested in seeing any new work you post in the future - mapping or otherwise. Loving the relationship you have between music and visuals - the Fibonacci work is excellent.
    Are all your visuals created purely in Processing and then handled by pd?
    Only one of my two works on Vimeo have been exhibited yet. nEuclid was displayed without audio. But pUSHER will have original audio - it'll probably be re-edited as well. Creating my own audio, along with programming, is something I've to work on.

Thanks! There's a load of random crap on my vimeo too - works in progress/abandoned projects etc.

Processing and Arduino is surprisingly easy to get into, definitely don't be put off if you haven't any experience with coding/physical computing. As for integration with pd - yeah I try to just handle the sound end of things in pure data, as its much more powerful than processing in that regard. I send messages between the two applications with OSC, so stuff like the fibonacci composition/visuals are generated in real time.

Definitely give processing a go at least - it's free to download and very well documented so you can do some pretty cool things quite quickly ;)

• Advertisement

I definitely will. I'd love to make my stuff that bit more dynamic and flexible, and it looks as though coding is really the way to go with it.

You might enjoy this - it's live/interactive projection mapping. http://vimeo.com/19572876

The artist built his own software, so by clicking the four corners of each section of wall on a video feed, he could construct his 3d model easily and scale his grids to the correct proportions. He then left a microphone hanging in the space, and FFT Analysed the values getting the frequency spectrum - the result is a nice augmented reality room. :cool:

Nice! Excellent project - cheers for the link. I really like that method of initial mapping - would make for a much more dynamic set-up. Aalto seems to have something similar to construct his models http://vimeo.com/18402677 and Legoman looks to have some really nice stuff to work with too http://vimeo.com/14632509 . . . then again, the two boys are from AntiVJ so you'd hardly expect anything less :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

Hey, I use Modul8 to VJ - apparently you can use it for mapping too, but I've not tried it yet.

Hey Janneke. Modul8 looks a really nice program - I don't use it as I only work on PC but I've seen a few nice installations done with it. Having 10 layers to play with can make mapping that bit easier than it is with Resolume.

• Advertisement

Distance wrote: »
    Nice! Excellent project - cheers for the link. I really like that method of initial mapping - would make for a much more dynamic set-up. Aalto seems to have something similar to construct his models http://vimeo.com/18402677 and Legoman looks to have some really nice stuff to work with too http://vimeo.com/14632509 . . . then again, the two boys are from AntiVJ so you'd hardly expect anything less :D
    Very good, enjoyed checking those out!

Advertisement