Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts/Self Defence advice?

• 24-01-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to take up a martial art and have been looking into Bujinkan, Muay Thai and Krav Maga. Which do you think would be most effective/practical for self defense on the street?

Advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

for what its worth...

im training various martial arts pretty much my whole life. nearly 10yrs at a 'professional' level, have a BB in BJJ and fought mma bunch of times etc...after that length of time i honestly wouldnt feel confident i could 'defend myself against 1 or more people on the street'

why?

too many factors. what if after all this training i get hopped on while im feeling very sick, or injured. what if someone comes up behind me and hits me with a brick in the back of the head. what if what if what if....

but

training in combat sports has kept me in shape and surrounded me with a bunch of very good friends. i honestly dont worry about 'street' fighting, find it very easy to avoid trouble...and if something happens, well it happens...not going to spend my life worrying about it :)

so my advice....try them all and do the one you enjoy the most...not because one will 'teach you to beat up 10 guys in a weekend course' but because you enjoy it...fact is you wont stick at it anyway if you dont enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I think that's the best response to that question I have seen! Should be quoted in future as it's sure to come up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

surprise can any skill which I have seen many many times. Karate kid has a lot to answer for ... Most people who do marital arts are very calm people and this gives them an edge that they are less likely to be surprised by a physical attack as they may be able to deal with it. But avoidance is generally the best as thought in the traditional martial arts that I have studied. There is an impress that you do or are Black belt/ proficient at a martial art then you are like a supper hero. You would not think the same as someone who played for their local soccer team that they could play for Man Utd. like everything only a few put in the hrs to be really good at it. I known high ranking Martial able artist in 3 sports and (would get a hiding) but I could catch them off guard. Real knowledge is knowing that you know nothing or very little. For example a black belt is an advanced beginner. (maybe not BJJ :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

Hi,

I think it's an impossible question to answer. We can all pick one of those arts you mentioned and extoll it's virtues, but the truth is, how good anything is on the street depends entirely on you and who you are fighting at the time. With that in mind, I say do whatever you enjoy and forget about the street because in my experience, martial artists don't streetfight anyway (except maybe a few doorman who get attacked while working - and most of them do specific training for that job).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

antybots wrote: »
    martial artists don't streetfight anyway (except maybe a few doorman who get attacked while working - and most of them do specific training for that job).

What kind of training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

What kind of training?

I was referring to Lee Morrison style training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Some great advice there and I'd like to add my own recomendation in terms of how to pick martial art and at the same time see how it relates to "self defence"....

1) Firsly read, from top to bottom, and then read again this website
    http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

.. for me the one stop shop for actually making uyou think what "self defence" really means before you try and train in the physical side of applying it.

2) For those three arts you mentioned or indeed any others, find a reputable club and join them for about two months to get a feel for how they do things. Even better, find about three different clubs in EACH art and see how each one does things, because even in the same art, instruction can vary hugely. So thats 3 x 3 clubs you'll have to research!

3) Analyse the info in the website above and see how it relates to what you're learning in those clubs, perdiodically over your self-imposed probabtionary period. Ask the instructors lots of questions(after and before class) in relation to what you're finding out about actual Self-defence.

4) Only then will you get the gist of whats out there for yourself and, within that what sort of quality you'll find.

This sounds like a lot of work but its really a small effort for something that I think is really an endlessly enjoyable life-time study.

I did this, to a small degree, in my teens. I went through 10 years actually of different MA's before settling in 2001 on a decent instructor. (Bujinkan)

My training now, under a proper teacher fits in perfectly with http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com's/ outlook on Self Defence and my own take on martial arts training. I HAVE been jumped on from behind and dealt with weapons and multiples and found that my training now really helped.... but it took a LOT of groundwork to get there.

As an aside I do believe training on-the-job like bouncerwork/security/policing can give you many shortcuts to self-protection skills but at a cost of possible serious injury because you may just get unlucky on that job. Martial arts training takes longer but should be safer.

I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Thanks for the advice lads :)

I'd prefer not to start another thread so i'll ask here.. just wondering if you could recommend some instructors/clubs for muay thai and krav maga?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

not what you'd ask for...but if you'd like a free months training at sbgireland.com pm me your details :)

we've got thai, bjj, wrestling, boxing, mma etc classes completely suitable for beginners

• Advertisement

street wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to start another thread so i'll ask here.. just wondering if you could recommend some instructors/clubs for muay thai and krav maga?

Thanks

OP, take up this offer. You'd be absolutely start raving bonkers not to.
    not what you'd ask for...but if you'd like a free months training at sbgireland.com pm me your details :)

we've got thai, bjj, wrestling, boxing, mma etc classes completely suitable for beginners

Thats exceptionally generous of you JK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

For just Muay Thai it depends on where you live

South Dublin - Warriors Thai
    City center southside - Chuppasart
    City center - Bridgestone Muay Thai
    North Dublin - Dublin Thai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Man i always thought i was well able to handle myself in any altercation outside a pub, before christmas 3 lads looking for trouble called out me and my mates, followed us down the road, i pushed one away, ducked a punch and then ate a timberland boot to the cheekbone - bleeding behind the eye, scraped retina and now my right pupil is permanently dilated.

You want self defence? join your local running club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Chris89 wrote: »
    timberland boot to the cheekbone - bleeding behind the eye, scraped retina and now my right pupil is permanently dilated.

You want self defence? join your local running club.

Sorry to hear about that - it's awful... :( Great advice tho - run like fek if you can.

Out of those three Martial Arts that the OP mentioned I'd personally go the Thai route - you'll get so much from that type of training.

If Longmile road wasn't so far from me I'd definitely take you up on that offer SBG, but thanks very much. :)

Peetrik wrote: »
    For just Muay Thai it depends on where you live

South Dublin - Warriors Thai
    City center southside - Chuppasart
    City center - Bridgestone Muay Thai
    North Dublin - Dublin Thai

Thanks Peetrik, sorry i forgot to mention i'm based in Drumcondra on the Northside.. So i'll check out Dublin Thai and Bridgestone, nice one :)

Dublin thai is in kilbarrak and Bridgestone is just beside Smithfield so Bridgestone is probably closer to you

http://www.bridgestonemuaythai.com/

Good luck :)

Thanks Peetrik, sorry i forgot to mention i'm based in Drumcondra on the Northside.. So i'll check out Dublin Thai and Bridgestone, nice one :)

for a month of free training you cant get to the longmile road?!! weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Yeah dude seriously. You shan't regret it.

If Longmile road wasn't so far from me I'd definitely take you up on that offer SBG, but thanks very much. :)

I'll put it to you like this.. If you were to stay training in martial arts, what you'd learn from JK and the guys and girls in SBG will stay with you throughout your martial arts journey, no matter the style.

He's offering you a month free training, with no obligation to stay - its a great offer.

However on the northside your still spoilt for choice. I can't recommend you a Krav Maga school, but off the top of my head and with in easy reach of Drumcondra you have Yomchi's club (YOMCHI is a Mod here) in Cabra west - he does reality base combatives.

For Muay Thai you've Barry Oglesby IP Proformance in Glasnevin, plus BJJ and MMA.

Honestly a search here will show you your spoilt for choice.

• Advertisement

I'm inclined to think that if you can't drive, bus, luas or cycle across a small city like Dublin to practice martial arts then I'd be wondering how dedicated you'd be to training.

Personaly I bussed/cycled from Monkstown to City centre twice a week for a few years in my teens for training. Now I drive/train to Dublin once a month to my own teacher as well as drive and hour EACH way to teach classes in Tralee every week.

Pick three clubs to research, get a bike and commit traveling to them and give yourself a month or two to figure out what it takes to train hard to get to a place where you MIGHT be able to handle a random assault, where, if its serious, a weapon/multiples could be involved. Otherwise do you want to be one of those filler students who simply just supports the club overheads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

I'm inclined to think that if you can't drive, bus, luas or cycle across a small city like Dublin to practice martial arts then I'd be wondering how dedicated you'd be to training.

work commitments/ hours could easily prevent him from making the sbg intro classes...i know mine do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Emm, given that he's a beginner who hasn't even found a club yet, I think you're being a bit harsh.

That said street, you really should look into training at SBG for a bit. Both John K and the international SBG group as a whole have excellent reputations, and the training you get will be top notch. More importantly, if you go there for a month and see their way of doing things, you'll be in a much better position to judge any other club you plan on joining in the future, regardless of style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Jesus lay off man. There are any number of reasons why someone couldn't make it across the city. Family, work, girlfriend?

Anyway it's a generous offer and I think you should take it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

OP! you'd be mental not to take that offer up! :) Trust me! I know people who would bite the hand off JK at that offer ... even if it took a jockey back off their own Granny to get there! :)

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    OP! you'd be mental not to take that offer up! :) Trust me! I know people who would bite the hand off JK at that offer ... even if it took a jockey back off their own Granny to get there! :)

Thats how i get there anyway.

Hey I'm just going on the info supplied by the OP... "long mile road is too far for me".

I'm actually encouraging the guy and and am sure he's not so sensitive to think I'm laying into him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

for what its worth...

im training various martial arts pretty much my whole life. nearly 10yrs at a 'professional' level, have a BB in BJJ and fought mma bunch of times etc...after that length of time i honestly wouldnt feel confident i could 'defend myself against 1 or more people on the street'

John do you really believe that?
    Ok more than one guy and your fuc ked but in a one on one situation my money would be on the bjj black belt against any non professional fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Hi,

I want to take up a martial art and have been looking into Bujinkan, Muay Thai and Krav Maga. Which do you think would be most effective/practical for self defense on the street?

Advice appreciated :)

As has already been said you need to be realistic in what you can achieve as regards street fighting/self-defence. The majority of violent encounters on the street involve alcohol or drugs so avoidance is your best bet.

As regards which of the styles you mentioned being the most effective? All styles have their own merits and any training is better than none.

Thai boxing will give you incredible fitness and toughen you up physically. It is also recognised as being an awesome striking art so you will learn to punch, kick, knee and elbow which are all effective techniques for self-defence. However muay thai does not cover aspects such as weapons, locks, throws, ground-fighting as it is a stand-up combat sport.

Krav Maga varies wildly depending on where you study it. At its core is a very efficient and effective system of self-defence. If you have a good school near you this might suit your needs.

Bujinkan. Don't know much about it but I don't know too many real life ninjas and stuff I've seen from Simon Yeo in London was less than impressive.

Check out a few classes of each and see which you like best.

• Advertisement

Hey,

I've decided to go with Muay Thai. Would love to do Muay Boran but it only seems to be available in belfast..

Gonna give Combatives and/or KM a try also. I like that they're practical for the street and the focus on strategy and tactics. They both seem pretty similar!?

Would there be much of a difference between SBG and Bridgestone for the Muay Thai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Hey,

I've decided to go with Muay Thai. Would love to do Muay Boran but it only seems to be available in belfast..

Gonna give Combatives and/or KM a try also. I like that they're practical for the street and the focus on strategy and tactics. They both seem pretty similar!?

Good choice mate! Muay Thai is fantastic for just about everything. :)

That was a very nice offer from Jon at SBG all the same.

One thing I'd say on a personal note that Combatives and KM are not that similar at all. They have similar objectives, but the way these are achieved is very different. Have a go at both tho'...and see which you prefer.

And enjoy the MT! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

If you're heading to Bridgestone, seek out Ray Lakes there for some pad work he's top notch and very obliging. He had me wrecked there one morning with them pads :o

Enjoy!

Would there be much of a difference between SBG and Bridgestone for the Muay Thai?

I'll admit up front that Im totally bias... however... yes :)

SBG, while Im sure are top level strikers, have to split their time between standup, takedown and grappling, Bridgestone can concentrate all their time on Muay Thai.

Thats just my opinion

Baggio... wrote: »
    Good choice mate! Muay Thai is fantastic for just about everything. :)

That was a very nice offer from Jon at SBG all the same.

One thing I'd say on a personal note that Combatives and KM are not that similar at all. They have similar objectives, but the way these are achieved is very different. Have a go at both tho'...and see which you prefer.

And enjoy the MT! :)

Thanks man :)

yomchi wrote: »
    If you're heading to Bridgestone, seek out Ray Lakes there for some pad work he's top notch and very obliging. He had me wrecked there one morning with them pads :o

Enjoy!

Will do, thanks!

• Advertisement

Peetrik wrote: »
    I'll admit up front that Im totally bias... however... yes :)

SBG, while Im sure are top level strikers, have to split their time between standup, takedown and grappling, Bridgestone can concentrate all their time on Muay Thai.

Thats just my opinion

Ok cool that makes sense, thank you :)

Advertisement