Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is online Gaming so F****** in Ireland

Options
  • 24-01-2011 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Over the past 3 weeks it has been almost impossible to play online games.

Its been bad for a while or as far back as I can remember but lately its getting more and more annoying then fun.

For example today I played BFBC2, MW2 and Black Ops and every one of them I ended up rage quiting over the hit detection.

I have no problem getting killed in the games and I'm not the best player in the worldbut I can hold my own, when you get hit after hit and the guy can turn around and put one bullet into you then there is something seriously wrong with the gaming.

I have watched the replay's in MW2 and Black Ops and when the person I get loads of hits on turns and kills me I see that my bullets where going all around him but only one hit would show in the replay.

I've had people walk through claymore's with only a hit marker while I blowup even if the claymore is around the corner.

And before the LAG party join in, I have quite loads of games only to discover I'm the host.... dose that not mean everyone is connecting to me so my hits should register first???

At one time you would get 3-5 good games a night out of 10 or 15 now its just impossible to enjoy online gaming anymore.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that countries like the UK get priority in the games as they would be bigger gamers then us.

I have a friend living in the UK and he has a 5Mb connection. Most of the time he can wipe the floor with me. He figured he was red hot at the game until he came to visit and played from my Xbox..... He was gob smacked at the difference. It wasn't long before he was screaming at the screen and decided to give up.

PS
    I'm on a 30Mb UPC connection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

n00b :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭FooFighters

well im on 3 mb and i can get about 90% good connection in CoD. Its so funny though, i have to open the door in my room to have better connection.icon10.gif Lately though ive just been playin Faloout New Vegas and AC Brotherhood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ive never had problems playing online in any game and im currently on 2.5 mb with my brothers working laptops on that 2, whats your nat?

Your seriously deluded if you think this comes down to location..... get a proper connection.

Apart from that then it's the servers which no one has any control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I like how you've blamed the games, the connection and everything else.
    But noone else will come on here and take your side.

I play countless games online, no problem with any. This is from Eircom and UPC connections

I suggest give up on console FPS gaming online if it stresses you that much and get a PC for your listed games where you have a server browser.

Obvious conclusion is that you are the problem, suffering from being a noob or rage :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

jetpack101 wrote: »
    BFBC2, MW2 and Black Ops

Stop playing shit games. It'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I stick to the UK and French server to get the best ping. Strange thing though, I always get a better ping on French servers, anyone else have this?

Anyway, Irelands BB service and infrastructure is notoriously ****e nothing you can do except pick an ISP and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have no problems with online games and I am in Ireland using an Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I can't play between 8-10pm every day due to contention on the line (live near maynooth/celbridge and have dog**** ADSL from digiweb/eircom.

People I know from UK/Continental Europe either laugh or sound confused when I describe the issue - in you're case your prob just **** or have something wrong with your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hercule wrote: »
    I can't play between 8-10pm every day due to contention on the line (live near maynooth/celbridge and have dog**** ADSL from digiweb/eircom.

I used to have the same problem in Celbridge/Maynooth with Digiweb/Eircom, but then I switched to UPC when I moved house (again). Works like a charm now.

I still get butchered in TF2, but on the bright side I definitely know it isn't the connection so it's something I can actually do something to improve on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You sure You're Xbox is connected by ethernet, not wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I used to have the same problem in Celbridge/Maynooth with Digiweb/Eircom, but then I switched to UPC when I moved house (again). Works like a charm now.

I still get butchered in TF2, but on the bright side I definitely know it isn't the connection so it's something I can actually do something to improve on.

I am switching to UPC now when I move house too :D - Jim from eircom can go **** himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

It would be all so more enjoyable if we just organised more LANs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    n00b :p
    Grow up
    tonydude wrote: »
    ive never had problems playing online in any game and im currently on 2.5 mb with my brothers working laptops on that 2, whats your nat?
    My NAT is open. I have 3 Xbox in the house and all get open NAT...
    Your seriously deluded if you think this comes down to location..... get a proper connection.

Apart from that then it's the servers which no one has any control over.
    I disagree, They can set priority on the servers but I'm not getting into networking here.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I like how you've blamed the games, the connection and everything else.
    But noone else will come on here and take your side.

I play countless games online, no problem with any. This is from Eircom and UPC connections

I suggest give up on console FPS gaming online if it stresses you that much and get a PC for your listed games where you have a server browser.

Obvious conclusion is that you are the problem, suffering from being a noob or rage :P
    And there it is again....... If you read my post you would see that I have no problem getting killed, the problem is the hit markers or hit detection. There is a whole forum dedicated to problems like this in Black Ops alone. So it just makes you look stupid to say its me thats the problem.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Stop playing shit games. It'll help.
    I think that is starting to sink in now :D
    Krieg wrote: »
    I stick to the UK and French server to get the best ping. Strange thing though, I always get a better ping on French servers, anyone else have this?

Anyway, Irelands BB service and infrastructure is notoriously ****e nothing you can do except pick an ISP and hope for the best.

How do you pick UK or French servers, I'd like to give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

MAybe you need to configure your router? I changed the "port forwarding" and all that and my connection improved quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I had similar problems with the xbox. I have 15mb with upc and the lag made the games unplayable. About a year ago a friend brought over his PS3 and I tried it and there was no lag. Both were on wireless connection. I eventually just bought a PS3.
    I was convinced the problem was with the xbox but it was annoying and I just gave up.
    I had problems with my previous isp were I was disconnected from live when it rained. Thankfully I don't have issues anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Spray and pray comes to mind :D

If your wireless try wired. Or if you still have the generic router you get from UPC upgrade to a better one.

You could be just unfortunate and be playing against lag switchers all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

How do you pick UK or French servers, I'd like to give this a go.

Well in BFBC2 for example, Many of the french servers are denoted by [FR] tag at the start of the server name. UK use similar or you can look out for names like
    "(clan/server name) multiplay.co.uk"

You can use bfbc2 filters to limt the search to european servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

Jet Black wrote: »
    I had similar problems with the xbox. I have 15mb with upc and the lag made the games unplayable. About a year ago a friend brought over his PS3 and I tried it and there was no lag. Both were on wireless connection. I eventually just bought a PS3.
    I was convinced the problem was with the xbox but it was annoying and I just gave up.
    I had problems with my previous isp were I was disconnected from live when it rained. Thankfully I don't have issues anymore.
    Interesting.... this is not the first time I have heard this. Now if I could only get my hands on a PS3 to test this out :)
    eioneill wrote: »
    Spray and pray comes to mind :D

If your wireless try wired. Or if you still have the generic router you get from UPC upgrade to a better one.

You could be just unfortunate and be playing against lag switchers all the time.

I dumped the UPC router a good while ago and replaced it with a Linksys Router.... I was told to look for one that is Windows 7 or Vista compatible as this will give open NAT on all 3 Xbox if they are on together. It works great.

My setup is now UPC Modem, Linksys Router, Linksys VoIP box (blueface)
    The good thing is, if I ever want to switch providers its just a simple modem swap and I'm done.
    Krieg wrote: »
    Well in BFBC2 for example, Many of the french servers are denoted by [FR] tag at the start of the server name. UK use similar or you can look out for names like
    "(clan/server name) multiplay.co.uk"

You can use bfbc2 filters to limt the search to european servers

Going to try that later on this evening. Will the servers be listed in BCBF2 where I can pick them???

I really want to get back into BCBF2 as I got the Triton Headset for Christmas off my wife and the sound is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

With PCs we get the ability to choose servers with the best pings, latency, lowest packetloss, use netgraphs, dozens, even hundreds of micro settings to adjust.. I don't know how the high level xbox and ps3 gamers do without these things.

Amongst games like counterstrike etc there are wails of hitreg, i.e. certain shots not regging like normal, half the time its just rage but the other half.. yes it does exist in a lesser form, usually if I feel its happening consistently then I restart, reconnect, etc.

With no form of netgraph showing the pings, latency, packetloss then I see how it might be hard to identify the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jesus you console gamers hurt my head sometimes. A basic understanding of networking would help matters. And how your console handles online gaming.

Speed does not equal latency.

Games use **** all bandwidth, they need low latency.

Xbox mainly uses residential connections to host games(MW) and bfbc2 has some pretty **** hitbox's regardless of being hosted on a dedicated server.

A decent ping on a pc is considered under 40ms, for most xbox games for it to go down a bar it needs to go above 120ms.

UPC route traffic through their own links rather then other ISP links to save on costs. This can mean higher latency due to longer trips to certain locations.

Wireless depending on signal strength and noise can put between 5-50ms on your ping.

You will rarely if ever host a game or be connected to a server in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jonny7 wrote: »
    With PCs we get the ability to choose servers with the best pings, latency, lowest packetloss, use netgraphs, dozens, even hundreds of micro settings to adjust.. I don't know how the high level xbox and ps3 gamers do without these things.

The PS3 does use server lists and depending on the game has a good few filters on most 1st party games like killzone but any multi-platform games tend to copy the require system from the 360, and just throws you into a lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Interesting.... this is not the first time I have heard this. Now if I could only get my hands on a PS3 to test this out :)
    Fúck wireless. Get a Homeplug. Plug one side into the wall next to the router, the other next to your xbox. The connection goes through your electrical cables.

Router-homeplug~~~~~~~homeplug-Xbox

As opposed to

Router - - - - - - - Xbox

With anything from microwaves, florescent lights, wireless phones, etc, causing interference in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

For example today I played BFBC2, MW2 and Black Ops and every one of them I ended up rage quiting over the hit detection.

No dedicated servers. You're literally fighting ghosts who were there 2 seconds ago. I mean you almost get to witness your own death every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Another example of how everything is dumbed down on consoles.

"Shall we display latency with a ping number in milliseconds?"

"Nah they're console gamers, they're too stupid and will think the higher number is better. Just give them a crappy obscure green bar instead" :mad:

I was so tuned into ping back when I was an admin on a BF2 server I could tell what country people were connecting from by looking at their ping. With americans I could tell if they;re east coast or west coast and so on.

Really ****in annoying to go from this to this ****ty green bar crap when I play on my ps3.

Advertisement