Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC changed 20mb upload speed?

• 24-01-2011 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

HI,

I had the 15mb down / 1.5 up package and when they upgraded to the 20mb line they raised the 1.5 mb to 2 mb

now when I go back to http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/

they changed it back to 1.5 mb - anybody else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Must be new.
    And with no notice from UPC, they have yet again broken their contract with us. :(

tried to contact them with their webform, and the bloody thing doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Yes.. It did go up to 2MB when the download speed went to 20MB i noticed this. But wasn't getting anything close to 2MB upload. not even 1MB i remember posting here.

Then about week/2 weeks ago i noticed on there site is was back to 1.5MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

NeVeR wrote: »
    Yes.. It did go up to 2MB when the download speed went to 20MB i noticed this. But wasn't getting anything close to 2MB upload. not even 1MB i remember posting here.

Then about week/2 weeks ago i noticed on there site is was back to 1.5MB

Exact same thing happened to me, download was 19/20 mb - quite happy with it but the upload was awful, worse than the 1.5mb previously.

I even rang up to complain and tech support said there was a line noise problem with the upload and went upon fixing the issue. Got one of those automated calls a few days later saying the issue was fixed. Speeds marginally better, not even up to the 1.5 it was at with 15mb package.

Such sneaky handed slyness.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bestie wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened to me, download was 19/20 mb - quite happy with it but the upload was awful, worse than the 1.5mb previously.

I even rang up to complain and tech support said there was a line noise problem with the upload and went upon fixing the issue. Got one of those automated calls a few days later saying the issue was fixed. Speeds marginally better, not even up to the 1.5 it was at with 15mb package.

Such sneaky handed slyness.

UPC? Never!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

My upload speed remains at a fairly constant 1.4mb. It would be nice to get nearer to 2mb but the download speed is a very constant 19/20mb. At 15mb the download speed was very volatile so I'm happy. :)

1127338031.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My 15 went to 20 up alright from Jan 4th but the 1.5 never moved an inch, not bothered to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Teclo wrote: »
    My upload speed remains at a fairly constant 1.4mb. It would be nice to get nearer to 2mb but the download speed is a very constant 19/20mb. At 15mb the download speed was very volatile so I'm happy. :)

1127338031.png
    when it was 20mbps i was getting between 1.43mbps and 1.44mbps on speedtests which was fine, but it never went even a single kb above that when the 30mbps/3mbps upgrade came in.

it turned out there was some kind of issue on their end which required a hardware upgrade. maybe thats not your issue, but it strikes me as possible being as its an identical speed to mine.

of course if they've downgraded everyone on the 20mbps to 1.5mbps up again its all a bit academic at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jobinsp

Would anybody post the exact download speed on a 20MB upc connection, the maximum speed i ever got on my 20 MB connection while downloading a file from microsoft site for example the xp sp3 service pack file (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en) is only 2.52 MB/s

jobinsp wrote: »
    Would anybody post the exact download speed on a 20MB upc connection, the maximum speed i ever got on my 20 MB connection while downloading a file from microsoft site for example the xp sp3 service pack file (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en) is only 2.52 MB/s

Broadband speeds are advertised as Megabits per second, not Megabytes - i.e. 20Mb, not 20MB.

To get the actual downstream speed per second, you need to divide the advertised speed number (20) by 8. So, on a 20Mb connection, the maximum actual download speed you'll get from a website is around 2.5MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jobinsp

thanks for ur reply, but one more thing i noticed in case of upc , i am having upc 20Mb at my home in infirmary road D-7,but the actual d/l speed i get is around 2.5Mb ,but 10Mb upc connections near to coldcut road also getting 2.5Mb d/l speed for 10Mb connection, then whats the logic of speed/8 times .Also from upc technicians i came to know that for better speed the signal level received in the modem should be less than 14.9 dBmV(we can see the signal level from system menu in EPC 2425 router), the lesser the signal level the better is the speed ,and the signal level at homes in coldcut road in D-22. its 2.5 dBmV they are getting speed of 2.5Mb for d/l and for infirmary road area its's around 14dBmV .so if u can plz have a look at the signal level in your modem.

• Advertisement

jobinsp wrote: »
    thanks for ur reply, but one more thing i noticed in case of upc , i am having upc 20Mb at my home in infirmary road D-7,but the actual d/l speed i get is around 2.5Mb ,but 10Mb upc connections near to coldcut road also getting 2.5Mb d/l speed for 10Mb connection, then whats the logic of speed/8 times .Also from upc technicians i came to know that for better speed the signal level received in the modem should be less than 14.9 dBmV(we can see the signal level from system menu in EPC 2425 router), the lesser the signal level the better is the speed ,and the signal level at homes in coldcut road in D-22. its 2.5 dBmV they are getting speed of 2.5Mb for d/l and for infirmary road area its's around 14dBmV .so if u can plz have a look at the signal level in your modem.

A downstream power level of +14 is borderline too strong, it should be as close to zero as possible. I'd go as far as saying that it is too strong - the spec theoretically allows +15 to -15 but in real life situations it doesn't always work that way.

It's impossible to get a 2.5MB/s download speed on a 10Mb line so there must be a mistake somewhere.

Advertisement