Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2011 *** READ FIRST POST before posting or risk being banned! ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If anyone had the DEB HL Irish, can they please pm me. I have a few questions about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 surfer18

heeeey can someone clarify the irish for me please?
    Which company had this in its aurel paper (HL) Spoiler:
    Smuggling drugs in the van and Bono

Its it DEB or Examcraft? :/ and does anyone have what coming up on that paper please? thaaanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I've been studying very diligently the past 6 weeks, only now it's midterm, I sat down and nothing seems to have stayed in my head. I think it's partly to do with an underlying stress problem. This is very worrying because my mocks are next week.

What are the most essential things that I should know in the following subjects

English HL
    Maths OL
    Irish HL
    History HL
    Business HL
    Music HL

What's the best way to study these(especially history)?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

In b4 thread is shut by mod for not making 2nd mock thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Hey, I was just wondering about one of the questions on the History paper I saw posted.
    To what extent did the treaty negotiations and the signing of the treaty expose serious splits within the Sinn Féin party?

Just finding it a bit difficult to know how to answer this, I'm trying to brainstorm for a few different essays and saw this one. Should I;

Talk about
    partition in one paragraph, oath of allegiance in another paragraph, the moderates such as Griffith against the militant republicans like Brugha who would accept no less than a full republic, maybe a paragraph of the relationship between de Valera and Collins too

or

is it more asking about
    effects on sinn fein, so have one paragraph on the split into pro Vs. anti treaty, cumann na ngaedhal spawning from the pro treaty, de Valera leaving the anti treaty party due to the policy of abstaining

Any sort of insight would be appreciated! Much thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

brownlad wrote: »
    In b4 thread is shut by mod for not making 2nd mock thread :cool:

I dont the op is looking for hints..... I think its just what to learn in the subjects would i be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I didn't mean it as a mock thread. I meant it as "whats the best way to study my subjects cos I'm freaking out and having panic attacks so please help" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

I dontdo any of the subjects that you do at the levels you do them apart from english ..... And for english well i am hopeless at it so i might not be the best to advise you on that. Sorry. But heres whAt i am plannonv on dojng for my subjects

1) learn anything which is gauranteed to come up.
    2) look at last years papers and what came up.... It will have a less chance of coming up tjis year
    3) dont just focus on the stuff you dont know if you kinda know something or like to learn it more than another section learn it..... Knowing one thing well is beter than knowing 2 half things
    4) dont panic about it you can only learn from making mistakes

Sorry about the spelling mistakes.... On my phone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Get ideas through the exam papers I would say. For something like History where the course is big, I'd try specialize in areas. Instead of learning of all of Europe, I've just learnt anything related to Germany as I expect something from Germany pretty much has to come up. I also studied Russia during the Red Terror too just as a back up. America, racial conflict is a big topic I expect to come up and have studied, taking particular care of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. The other big topic in that area would probably be Vietnam. For the Irish course, I have 1912-49 but that's the area I'm weak at. I'm just going to try study from 1912 up to the end of the Civil War.
    So for History I would recommend nailing down two or three big topics from each area to study. Then do different brainstorms on them, highlighting key events. Look for past questions or sample questions and write down the points you would use to see if you could answer them.

English poetry is something you can predict. If you know Boland, Frost and Wordsworth, I think you would be safe. I'm confident one of them at least will come up for sure. If you want to be safe, add in Dickinson and Hopkins.

Maths ordinary level, look through past papers. The same topics come up every year. e.g. question 4 paper one is always complex numbers which is handy enough. Past papers should show you what areas to study.

Business take particular care over units 3, 4, and 5. As apart from coming up in the long questions, they make up the ABQ.

Irish..there's a lot in it I find. Study issues for the essay I think is what I prioritize. Study topics like drugs, unemployment, the recession, crime, media, the general topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Get ideas through the exam papers I would say. For something like History where the course is big, I'd try specialize in areas. Instead of learning of all of Europe, I've just learnt anything related to Germany as I expect something from Germany pretty much has to come up. I also studied Russia during the Red Terror too just as a back up. America, racial conflict is a big topic I expect to come up and have studied, taking particular care of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. The other big topic in that area would probably be Vietnam. For the Irish course, I have 1912-49 but that's the area I'm weak at. I'm just going to try study from 1912 up to the end of the Civil War.
    So for History I would recommend nailing down two or three big topics from each area to study. Then do different brainstorms on them, highlighting key events. Look for past questions or sample questions and write down the points you would use to see if you could answer them.

English poetry is something you can predict. If you know Boland, Frost and Wordsworth, I think you would be safe. I'm confident one of them at least will come up for sure. If you want to be safe, add in Dickinson and Hopkins.

Maths ordinary level, look through past papers. The same topics come up every year. e.g. question 4 paper one is always complex numbers which is handy enough. Past papers should show you what areas to study.

Business take particular care over units 3, 4, and 5. As apart from coming up in the long questions, they make up the ABQ.

Irish..there's a lot in it I find. Study issues for the essay I think is what I prioritize. Study topics like drugs, unemployment, the recession, crime, media, the general topics.

+1 to all of this. As for history, which is personally my favourite (well maybe second favourite) subject, the examiners HAVE to put one case study AT LEAST in each section, by law. So, if you're worrying about the mocks, make sure you know Nuremberg rallies (tying in with nazi propaganda and control of mass media), show trials (tying in with Stalin's policies of collectivisation, industrialisation, and his consolidation of power i.e the totalitarian state). As for Jarrow, it is so hideously boring that I can't even approach it. If you learn those 2 case studies plus maybe anti semitism/hitler foreign policy or 2 other topics which branch from fascism, you will be sorted for the mocks at least.

America - for the mocks, considering you have a week to study, focus on Montgomery Bus Boycott in the context of the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam (reason for involvement, escalation and withdrawal). This should almost definitely see you through. We still haven't started the Ireland section so I can't advise on that. Naturally, the most likely case study for a document is Coleraine/Apprentice Boys so focus on these. The contextualisation question will be very basic, so just know the context of each in relation to the troubles/catholic vs protestant/cultural identity etc... To make your essays stand out, try and add quotes from key personalities - as an example, Hitler - "the most important part of Fascism is absolute trust in a wise and able leader", Goebbels "I consider radio to be the most modern and most crucial instrument that exists for influencing the masses". These will improve your marks, without doubt. Try and apply maybe 1 or 2 per essay. Hope this helps! Good luck. :D

P.S. The sample papers (i.e the ones at the back such as SEC Sample, Sample 1,2,3 etc...) are so good for history because you're not likely to get a question that has come up in the last few years. For the most part, these provide different angles for the questions and I know personally that a question from the SEC paper came up in my mock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

If you're starting to get so stressed about the mocks , there's a nice big thread with over 2500 posts,that will give you something to study!
    Basically asking for hints from a load of people who already done the mocks,is the same as asking for the questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 owenthorp

NO MORE MOCKS :) xxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mobile1541

please can i have irish?? i dont have any for a swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mobile1541

French higher level examcraft?? would realyy appreciate it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    If you're starting to get so stressed about the mocks , there's a nice big thread with over 2500 posts,that will give you something to study!
    Basically asking for hints from a load of people who already done the mocks,is the same as asking for the questions!

I disagree, for example what I just told him about history may seem like giving hints, but it's really not. The amount of study in what I just went through is huge, and that is not an overstatement. I am not giving him particular hints because clearly he wants to approach the exam like it's the real thing, which is wise. Plus, it would be useless for me to give hints based on my mocks cause in all likelihood it will be different from the OPs. I just went through the likely options of what will come up, and it is up to the OP what he wants to focus on. That is no way similar to directly looking at what questions will come up, which you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Still, keep it to this thread please.
    And if you want to be like that here's a quote from randylonghorn's most coveted post !
    My most coveted post? 0_o

Why would I covet it, Dave? :p
    brownlad wrote: »
    In b4 I'm slapped by mod for using textspeak! :cool:
    Fixed your post! :cool:

Still, keep it to this thread please.

My most coveted post? 0_o

Why would I covet it, Dave? :p

Fixed your post! :cool:

Probably a bad choice of words, it's more of a coveted desire for people to actually read the first post!
    Fair play to you tough i've been looking through these last 2600 posts for a few weeks now & the amount of changes you've had to make from different people would have pushed me over the top by now.
    Especially the people purposely trying to catch you out with ( Al dat txt tlk):D

Probably a bad choice of words, it's more of a coveted desire for people to actually read the first post!
    Ah ... there I concur wholeheartedly!!
    Fair play to you tough i've been looking through these last 2600 posts for a few weeks now & the amount of changes you've had to make from different people would have pushed me over the top by now.
    It's running at about a 10-15% edit rate. Luckily, I haven't been on my own. :)

Ah ... there I concur wholeheartedly!!
    It's running at about a 10-15% edit rate. Luckily, I haven't been on my own. :)

I can just imagine you sittting there with a bottle of champagne in the back of the fridge,just waiting for mock season to be over!:D

Wouldn't take oo much for granted yet,the mid-term is over Sunday.Then the big flurry of posts from desperate students asking the same questions already posted 15-20 times will materialise!;)

Wouldn't take oo much for granted yet,the mid-term is over Sunday.Then the big flurry of posts from desperate students asking the same questions already posted 15-20 times will materialise!;)
    I know, shaddap, don't even want to think about it!!! >_>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 psyco123

anyone have the physics hl paper from mocks.ie thanks,
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 coolio17

does anyone have the ACCOUNTING paper that had
    marginal costing with absorption costing
    in it. please help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JayLA47

Anyone with..
    BUSINESS HL EXAMCRAFT?
    CHEMISTRY HL EXAMCRAFT?
    IRISH OL EXAMCRAFT?

Looked throught the thread but all the posts seem unsure.

I have...
    ACCOUNTING OL EXAMCRAFT
    PHYSICS HL DEBS
    ECONOMICS HL.

JayLA47 wrote: »
    Anyone with..
    BUSINESS HL EXAMCRAFT?
    CHEMISTRY HL EXAMCRAFT?
    IRISH OL EXAMCRAFT?

Looked throught the thread but all the posts seem unsure.

I have...
    ACCOUNTING OL EXAMCRAFT
    PHYSICS HL DEBS
    ECONOMICS HL.

what came up in economics? :)

I have examcraft

English higher level paper 1 and 2
    irish ordinary level paper 1 and 2
    accounting higher level
    maths ordinary level paper 1 and 2

willing to swap any of them for higher level geography examcraft....

pm me

any chance
    marginal costing with absorption costing
    came up on your accounting paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dberry2011

i finished last friday and i would like to take the opportunity to thank all you nice folk at boards for helping me through the mocks.... to the rest of you still to finish i say:

ennnnnnnjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hendyniamh

would love some hints for the biology! have it after mid term and dreading it! x

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hendyniamh

And if anyone has hints for
    OL irish paper 2 DEBS
    HL Business
    HL Biology

help would be much appreciated :) I know they are probably in this thread somewhere but i can't find them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

Biology OL please does any1 know what came up???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RedBlueRedBlue

Could someone please PM me Examcraft HL English paper two, or Examcraft OL maths paper two?

I will swap:
    Geography HL Examcraft
    Maths pap. 1 OL Examcraft
    Irish pap. 1 HL examcraft
    Physics HL Examcraft
    French HL DEBS
    Art History HL DEBS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement