Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Spec and Actual Build

Options
  • 24-01-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Guys, based on the thread at the bottom I'm looking at getting a new rig. With Solitaire's blessing (I think, not too sure if wanted me to keep this request to my original thread) he's ok with me asking the following.

I'm looking for help with speccing and building a new pc and then going through a few things like overclocking, some teaching as it were. I know that a lot of the responses for people building for the first time to just go at it and that's it's almost like lego and it's hard to put things in the wrong place. To be honest though I'm looking at spending in the region of €1500 and I think that's a bit too much money to spend to "have a bash at". Also, I'm sure that there are tutorials on overclocking but personally, for me, there's noting like learning things first hand. Obviously for the above I'll be paying for whoever's time/expertise.

This part is what Solitaire is comfortable with, if anyone is interested could they PM me, he doesn't want to see any offers on the thread to do it for x amount, that side has to be done privately. Also, if we run into any issues be it quality of build or other issues between me and whoever does it then this is just between us, there's no comeback/complaining on any issues on Boards.

About myself, I've a fair idea when it comes to sorting out problems software side so I'm not a complete noob although everything I know is self thought (isn't google great), I won't be pestering who ever does it with every little software problem/issue, I'll attempt to fix these myself.

I'm in North county Dublin so ideally I'd need someone close enough to me, I've no problem driving or the person coming to me. Only one issue is that I'd only be able to do this on a Saturday.

One final thing, whoever is interested (if there is any) I'll have to check through their posting history so I know that I'm not getting some 15 year trying his luck (not that 15 year olds nowadays don't know their stuff), and I'm afraid I'll more than likely discount people with low post counts or new sign ups, €1500 is a lot so preferably I'd be looking for someone who's done this a few times and is completely comfortable.

If anyone is looking to earn a few quid please PM me and we'll see how it goes from there.

One last thing (I promise), I'll be buying from HWVS and I'm aware they'll put it together for €20 but this is more about me educating myself a little better.

Thanks for reading (those who managed to get to the end).

Edit: Sorry meant to add, feel free to post your interest in the thread or if you have any suggestions if I'm going about this the wrong way.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056154377

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Would you believe, im building my first machine soon too (just waiting on the processor now)

To be honest, it is easy and watching videos on the web will see you through it. Its not difficult and you really cant break anything as long as you dont spill liquid on it/turn it on prematurely.

The only thing you need to be careful of is the processor and its pins, i.e. making sure you dont bend them. But the rest of it, the plugs will only fit into one place. The graphics card will only go into that PCIe x16 slot on your mobo, the processor will only go into the LGA1155 socket, the memory will only go into the 4 memory slots.

Seriously, you ain't got nothin' to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was recommended the ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard in my new rig build and what really sold it for me was the mouse based bios :o should make things easier to OC. Hopefully, although I know where your coming from on OCing. I have read loads about it and tried it once or twice but the fear of messing up my one and only PC always meant it was on the to do list.

Wasn't there overclocking clubs around at one stage? If you could get a few together somewhere to try it out, the more brains the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

One final thing, whoever is interested (if there is any) I'll have to check through their posting history so I know that I'm not getting some 15 year trying his luck (not that 15 year olds nowadays don't know their stuff)

I have my first build coming up, and I know my stuff*, but I'm 15. :pac:

*With regards to assembling. I have no idea how to OC a PC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Cheers lads, I've someone lined up to do the build with me (well for me). I think it's too much money to try myself even if everyone says it's not that complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cheers lads, I've someone lined up to do the build with me (well for me). I think it's too much money to try myself even if everyone says it's not that complicated.
    If you don't mind spending the money it's always going to be better to get a first hand apprenticeship and learn from their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Here's one, comes a bit over budget, but is a very capable system at 1920x1080 with room to expand to SLI/Xfire in the future if you feel the need to. To trim it back below 1500, recommend downgrading the SSD capacity, dropping the BRRW in favour of a DVDRW or even considering dropping to an i5 2500k instead of a 2600k unless you benefit noticeably from hyperthreading

i7buildhv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

build completed,
    hope vestanpance enjoys it =]

Advertisement