Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to Rent Allowance?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I was just wondering am i capable to appeal for rent allowance before I bother filling in the appliciation form.

I'm 19 years old and I currently live at home with my mother and brother in a 2 bedroom house but want to move out just because I dont really have my own space if you know what I mean.

I am unemployed right now but trying everyday to get a job but no luck so far so I do get jobseekers benefit of 100 euro a week.

I do understand that I would be getting rent allowance of 529 a week so was wondering how that works like does the rent of an apartment have to be around that price or what exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Hi as far as im aware there are new rules such as you need to have been in the accomadation for six months paying the rent yourself before they will grant RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Not sure where you're getting you're figures of 529 p.w. - I thought it was based on the location and size of rental accommodation - I think 900 p.m. is the max you will receive.

I think you need to have a very good excuse to be moving out of home - but you may be best off speaking to your local Community Welfare Officer (Health Centre) or go down to your local Citizen's Advice Centre.

You must also remember that you will have to pay heating, electric, ntl, food - just before you jump ship make sure you can manage - good luck btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

does the amount you pay every week on rent have be under or over a certain amount for them to accept it?? it confuses me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Very, very unlikely that you will qualify. First thing you have to do is register with your local council and get on their housing list.You will be very low priority for housing as you are single and young.The Community Welfare Officer will only deal with you when you have got on the housing register.

deelite wrote: »
    I think 900 p.m.

900 per month is the figure for a single parent with one child in Dublin, which is one of the highest rates you can claim. A single person wouldnt get that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

ladypip wrote: »
    900 per month is the figure for a single parent with one child in Dublin, which is one of the highest rates you can claim. A single person wouldnt get that amount.

Oh I thought it was the same for everybody - I wonder what the rate is for a single person with no children (didn't know there were different rates)

deelite wrote: »
    Oh I thought it was the same for everybody - I wonder what the rate is for a single person with no children (didn't know there were different rates)

Well a person and a child would require a bigger therefore more expensive place. Where are you hoping to rent as in which county?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishguy316

ladypip wrote: »
    Well a person and a child would require a bigger therefore more expensive place. Where are you hoping to rent as in which county?

Dublin, preferably on the northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CollegeProbs

AFAIK you do not qualify. You have a place to live now and on 100 euro a week you would not be able to prove you could afford the place when you moved in. Have you thought through how you will afford bills and food etc on 100 euro a week???

Where did you get your figures from? I think a single person who meets the criteria, ie living in private accomodation for more than 6 months and can no longer afford rent, would only get about that amount a month.

Look into this a lot further before you jump ship as it looks like some of your info is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 irishguy316

AFAIK you do not qualify. You have a place to live now and on 100 euro a week you would not be able to prove you could afford the place when you moved in. Have you thought through how you will afford bills and food etc on 100 euro a week???

Where did you get your figures from? I think a single person who meets the criteria, ie living in private accomodation for more than 6 months and can no longer afford rent, would only get about that amount a month.

Look into this a lot further before you jump ship as it looks like some of your info is wrong

Sorry, I did mean to say 529 euro per month so im aware of that so just to make sure currently I wouldnt be qualified for rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

There's a major scam going on around Dublin at the moment on the rent allowance.
    a) a man has a mortgage on a house which he lists for rent
    b) girl with baby rents this house from him and the rent practically covers his mortgage.
    But the scam is that he and this girl are partners and the child is his but not official on the birth certs etc.. And they live happily in the house together with the mortgage paid all courtesy of the HSE.
    I know a good few people doing this at the moment and for the past few years. I know its slightly off topic but its a route you could consider if you want a free mortgage rather than having to pay rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Dotsey wrote: »
    There's a major scam going on around Dublin at the moment on the rent allowance.
    b) girl with baby rents this house from him and the rent practically covers his mortgage.
    But the scam is that he and this girl are partners and the child is his but not official on the birth certs etc.. And they live happily in the house together with the mortgage paid all courtesy of the HSE.
    I know a good few people doing this at the moment and for the past few years. I know its slightly off topic but its a route you could consider if you want a free mortgage rather than having to pay rent

That's also known as fraud pal, and I wouldn't advise anyone to do/engage in this type of stuff, if you get caught doing so. You will find yourself up **** creek very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I hope that you're going to report them. If you know a 'good few' people doing this then that's a few grand every month out of OUR pockets by way of taxes etc. As the previous poster stated, it's known as fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CollegeProbs

Sorry, I did mean to say 529 euro per month so im aware of that so just to make sure currently I wouldnt be qualified for rent allowance?

Rent allowance is given to people that are identified as having a housing need, not people that are looking for a nicer place. As you have a home at the min whether you're happy with it or not i doubt you would qualify for ra. They will also look at your ability to pay bills which on 100 euro job seeker a week and no way currently to earn your own money...you don't. You would also have to had lived in the residence for 6 months and be able to show you had the ability to pay rent but your circumstances have changed in order to qualify.

I guess at 19 you have itchy feet to move out and be on your own two feet but with no job and at such a young age and not much money you should think this through as it doesn't seem like a great idea from the outside. Also the quality of a place tht you would get at 529 a month wouldn't be very nice.

At 19 you have a whole life of paying bills in front of you, use your rent free time to focus on a job or education so you can get yourself a nice place someday instead of planning your future around social welfare. Thats just my 2c, but good luck with whatever avenue you go down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I hope that you're going to report them. If you know a 'good few' people doing this then that's a few grand every month out of OUR pockets by way of taxes etc. As the previous poster stated, it's known as fraud.
    I know quite well its fraud. It part explains why the HSE is crippled as its quite common in my area considering I know of five people doing it. Including the next door neighbour of a friend of mine in Ratoath with a four bed house that when originally bought was over €400k. A lot of non-nationals in Swords and Blanch that i'm familiar with are following a similar line but with their tendancy to have four or more children they also get a bumper childrens allowance payment as the icing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

2 week ban for advocating fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I know quite well its fraud. It part explains why the HSE is crippled as its quite common in my area considering I know of five people doing it. Including the next door neighbour of a friend of mine in Ratoath with a four bed house that when originally bought was over €400k. A lot of non-nationals in Swords and Blanch that i'm familiar with are following a similar line but with their tendancy to have four or more children they also get a bumper childrens allowance payment as the icing.

So have you reported any of the five people that you're certain are doing it? If you're concerned, then take action.

Advertisement