Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Web site advice

Options
  • 24-01-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a final year marketing student looking to publish my own blog. Content will just be my marketing interests, course work and some personal adventures. The idea behind the blog is the help keep myself up to date with my area of study through blogging about it and secondly for potential employers too see I have an online presence. As this was noted by many employers as important within the digital marketing area.

I'm somewhat torn between purchasing a .com for €8 and going with register365 €20 p/a hosting plan or a free service like xxxxxx.wordpress.com or blogger. Would you guy's be able to share any advice with me about my options. I would ideally like to be able too use google analytics tools as learning these again relates to my course.

Thanks for the help
    dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well, with Wordpress and blogger you cant use Google Analytics. You can use Webmaster tools though, but thats kinda like a "lite" version of GA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't know about blogger for sure but I don't see a reason why GA won't work with it, blogger is owned by Google after all. GA does work with Wordpress, although it may not work with a xxx.wordpress.com blog. If you install wordpress on your own private domain it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

GA only allows one GA account per domain, ie *.blogger.com or *.wordpress.com.

WordPress themselves are in charge of their GA account for the whole of all the blogs. Members cant access it. they can only use webmaster tools.
    The same can be said for blogger.com. Google own the GA account so nobody else can access it.

You're right about your own domain though. I have a wordpress blog on my own domain and I have both the GA and Webmaster Tools working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Not sure about that, Google Analytics works fine with Tumblr blogs, for instance;
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22598/use-google-analytics-to-get-detailed-stats-about-your-tumblr-blog/

I would have assumed it'd work the same way for Blogger, WordPress, etc.

OP, if you want a lightweight, easy-to-use blog that has good support for images and videos and such along with regular posts, I'd definitely recommend giving Tumblr a try, very straightforward.

Advertisement