Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn your canon EOS into web cam :)

• 24-01-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi
    Just found interesting application that enables your canon camera to use as webcam.You can use it with skype or messenger in video chats.
    Site is bellow.You can try it for free.
    http://www.extrawebcam.com/

Just i could not manage to control aperture in settings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

it's about all they're good for :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Ha ha, good one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm just jealous you guys are getting all the fancy HD movie stuff :(

damn you Nikon :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I have used something similar before a year ago with my 500D because I was lacking a webcam but I tried to use it as sparingly as possible before I could get my hands on a proper webcam.

Just a word of warning if you are going to use your DSLR as a webcam.

#1 Having the sensor on for periods of time as long as webcams are used causes it to heat up massively and drastically reduces its lifetime as well as possibly causing failure from reaching temperatures hot enough to melt the solder connecting the sensor to the PCB as well as damaging the main PCB with the CPU on it as that gets pretty hot too.

#2 not a major one but shutter being open for longer exposes the sensor to dust etc...

#3 If the sensor fails in a DSLR it is usually nearly as expensive as buying a used camera then if you were to repair. The sensor is very expensive and adjustment software is required when replacing the sensor as each body is calibrated to the sensor for white balance and timing with the shutter so its not in your best interests to ever have the sensor fail or you will have a nice paperweight.

In saying all that, having the ability to use as a webcam helped me when I needed it but its not something I would make a habit of doing as I only needed it for a week before I could get a €30 webcam rather then risk hundreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

I was reading something similar on internet about what zerohamster says.
    That might be true,just then i was reading that cameras in any case designed to shoot videos anyway,has that heat protection even,if it get very hot it will shut down.But i agree it is not the best way to treat your expensive EOS :) I would not use for hours my camera like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement