Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of College Doctor

Options
  • 24-01-2011 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Having attended the UCD doctor lately I thought the €25 I was charged was a little saucey, I decided to do some research

UCD €25 (free before September 7th 2009)
    TCD €20
    UCC Free (but with fees for extras i.e. €10 for pregnacy test, €20 for bloods)
    UL Free
    Maynooth Free but with extras charged like UCC
    DCU Has no dedicated doctor but offers 30% off the regular fees of a near-by GP (probably the worst deal to be fair)

Couldn't find figures on NUIG

So, of the colleges with an on-site GP - why do we pay more now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

spagboll wrote: »
    Having attended the UCD doctor lately I thought the €25 I was charged was a little saucey, I decided to do some research

UCD €25 (free before September 7th 2009)
    TCD €20
    UCC Free (but with fees for extras i.e. €10 for pregnacy test, €20 for bloods)
    UL Free
    Maynooth Free but with extras charged like UCC
    DCU Has no dedicated doctor but offers 30% off the regular fees of a near-by GP (probably the worst deal to be fair)

Couldn't find figures on NUIG

So, of the colleges with an on-site GP - why do we pay more now?

The Students Union happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Because UCD sees students as challenges to bleed as much cash out of them as they can in the 3-5 years or more they'll be there. They should start putting that in the student guides they give out in Orientation week...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

given that local gp's in the area charge 65, 25 is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

isn't it even more than 25? Thought it was 25 if you paid the 40 for the quinn health insurance - this was welcomed by the SU president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

No its always just 25.

And its cutbacks in general. They have to buy all of their supplies (gloves, thermometers etc.) from the money the students pay. So when people don't pay...they run out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Bobby42 wrote: »
    isn't it even more than 25? Thought it was 25 if you paid the 40 for the quinn health insurance - this was welcomed by the SU president.

ah now - that's a different story....outrageous to promote private health insurance....

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Bobby42 wrote: »

Incorrect, its free if you buy the insurance up to a certain number of visits a year. As far as I remember it covered you for 4 so that works out as 10 euro a visit, if you actually visit 4 times that is. I don't think 25 is too bad considering how much local doctors charge and I can't see it being too long before other colleges start charging similar amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Free in UL, Maynooth, and UCC is a steal considering what local doctors are charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

NUIG is free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

TCD is also free, unless I've missed something lately. It's €20 for a physio visit, which is what you might have spotted on the fees list on the health service site.

Edit: "Student consultations are free of charge with modest charges for additional services" taken directly from http://www.tcd.ie/College_Health/healthservice/index.php.

It does seem to be a bit of a mess considering that pretty much all other colleges provide a free health service and seeing as UCD itself provided one for free until a year or so ago. I can understand why a charge was necessary, but was it decided directly by your SU, out of interest, or was there a referendum or was it implemented directly by the college?

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    TCD is also free, unless I've missed something lately. It's €20 for a physio visit, which is what you might have spotted on the fees list on the health service site.

Edit: "Student consultations are free of charge with modest charges for additional services" taken directly from http://www.tcd.ie/College_Health/healthservice/index.php.

It does seem to be a bit of a mess considering that pretty much all other colleges provide a free health service and seeing as UCD itself provided one for free until a year or so ago. I can understand why a charge was necessary, but was it decided directly by your SU, out of interest, or was there a referendum or was it implemented directly by the college?

http://www.tcd.ie/College_Health/healthservice/fees.php

"all student consultations €20" we have conflicting information, if TCD is free it think it'll really reflect bad on UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

http://www.tcd.ie/College_Health/healthservice/fees.php

"all student consultations €20" we have conflicting information, if TCD is free it think it'll really reflect bad on UCD

That "all student consultations €20" is directly under Physio! It really should be more clearly marked as a heading though. It's definitely free in TCD, I was at the college doctor not long ago there myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

DCU have their own health centre, it's a tenner for a consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Free in UL, Maynooth, and UCC is a steal considering what local doctors are charging!

I did my undergrad in UCD and now am doing a postgrad in UCC. I never thought how badly UCD's facilities are for students until I started down in Cork. For the same registration fee as in Dublin along with a free GP you also get free gym, free swimming pool, free sports facilities (you don't have to pay to join the club) and free societies.

Hell in UCD to get transcripts it's €22 for TWO copies where as in UCC you get 10 for €15 and in Trinity I hear it's free.

You pay for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

gubbie wrote: »
    Hell in UCD to get transcripts it's €22 for TWO copies where as in UCC you get 10 for €15 and in Trinity I hear it's free.

You pay for everything

Look for them before you leave and they are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Look for them before you leave and they are free.

I'm afraid that's untrue. What you get before is yes an official copy but you can only get your grades from your first year til your Christmas of final year. These manuscripts are only useful for getting jobs/postgrad courses straight after college but are useless in the long run.

But that's all trivial. The point is €22 is a ridiculous sum for 10 black and white sheets

I did my undergrad in UCD and now am doing a postgrad in UCC. I never thought how badly UCD's facilities are for students until I started down in Cork. For the same registration fee as in Dublin along with a free GP you also get free gym, free swimming pool, free sports facilities (you don't have to pay to join the club) and free societies.

You pay for everything

I'm the opposite of you, from UCC to UCD and I back up what your saying

It's constructive to compare these charges, more similar examples would be great

It was 10 for €20 in UCC last year for transcripts

And in UCC they tried to bring in a charge to attend graduation and the place went mental, and it got abolished! Not a fan of the SU president down there but infairness he went buck wild about it and wouldn't give up

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

DIT is free except if your getting an Sti screen or seeing the physiotherapist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

I just had a question :

Few months ago, I went to the UCD GP who sent me to do blood tests. I wasn't charged for these, but of course I was charged for the doctor, is that normal ?

I thought it was a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

MacieC wrote: »
    I just had a question :

Few months ago, I went to the UCD GP who sent me to do blood tests. I wasn't charged for these, but of course I was charged for the doctor, is that normal ?

I thought it was a bit weird.

I've had a good few blood tests done and as far as I can make out, GP's always seem to charge for them while public hospitals seem to be free. Effectively you're paying for the 'consultation' with the GP, which is bull****, you're there to get blood tests, you already knwo what you need to get done, you don't need to be examined. I used to get mine done for free at Vincents, just down the road from UCD, worth knowing in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Yep. The UCD GP sent me to St Vincent with the paper and all. The guy from St Vincent didn't charge me, so I thought it was weird. But then, I assumed the doctor fee was a package for everything.

I was just wondering because in my home country, you are charged 23 E for the doctor's consultation and 40 E for the blood tests and re 23 E for the doctor's consultation for disclosure of the results.

I gotta admit then, Ireland is definitely cheaper ! And the UCD doctors are way more understanding and have some kind of kindness compared to doctors in my home country who just see you as a " bar-code ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

MacieC wrote: »
    Yep. The UCD GP sent me to St Vincent with the paper and all. The guy from St Vincent didn't charge me, so I thought it was weird. But then, I assumed the doctor fee was a package for everything.

I was just wondering because in my home country, you are charged 23 E for the doctor's consultation and 40 E for the blood tests and re 23 E for the doctor's consultation for disclosure of the results.

I gotta admit then, Ireland is definitely cheaper ! And the UCD doctors are way more understanding and have some kind of kindness compared to doctors in my home country who just see you as a " bar-code ".

They charge you for opening an envelope for tests you've already paid to get done :eek:. Wow, talk about being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I'm afraid that's untrue. What you get before is yes an official copy but you can only get your grades from your first year til your Christmas of final year. These manuscripts are only useful for getting jobs/postgrad courses straight after college but are useless in the long run.

But that's all trivial. The point is €22 is a ridiculous sum for 10 black and white sheets

Em... no.

I got my transcripts the summer after I graduated. Got two official copies, cost nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

No I am right. I have worked at the student desk and have dealt with transcripts on occasion. I am not talking about what you get sent out in the post when you graduate or applying for them before you get your final results, I am talking about applying for your transcripts in the summer after you get your results. You are still a student until the following academic year begins. Current students are not charged. See the above poster for further verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I hear the average waiting time in trinity is something like 2:45. Which is almost getting to the stage where id pay to skip the queue, nvm the fact that lots of students with genuine illnesses won't go because of the queue and the doctors time is getting wasted.

Though this problem is now solved by being able to get birth cntrol pill over the counter at boots!!!!!!

Advertisement