Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian TV via satellite

Options
  • 24-01-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I want to setup a system myself, that will pick up Brazilian TV.

So I need;
    1 LNB,
    1 freesat type box,
    1 satelitte dish and mounting bracket,
    length of cable from LNB to box,
    1 ladder
    1 Drill

Does that sound right to everyone?

My gf is Brazilian, and I want to set up a system so that she can watch 'novelas' all day and give me a break from the drama! :p

I have never done anything like this before. And I'm having trouble trying to get started with a plan. I had a look at some of the links posted in other threads, like kingofsat etc.. trying to find out what satelittes show brazilian channels. I found a few but they all seem to be encrypted with videogaurd.

I have a colleague in work who will lend me a sat finder gadget, and he mentioned that brazilian channels can be taken off the same satelitte that the polish channels use, but that the box needs to be of a specific type.

The house I'm in at the moment faces mostly south and ever so slightly to the west, has 3 dishes already, but I think they are all disconnected. There is a sky dish at the front of the house, one on the chimney and one at the back. They all seem to point south east across the face of the house.

I realise I will only be able to pick up a certain number of satelittes with a fixed system, but I dont need a motorised system, or anything fancy or complicated, just something that will pick up brazilian tv. If it could pick up a few english speaking channels that would be a bonus.

Can the other dishes be utilised to pick up brazilian tv?
    Would I be better off trying to get Portuguese TV on sat?
    Do I need a special sat box?
    How much would all the parts cost?
    Anything else I need to know?
    Am I getting in over my head?
    Will Yara find true love after Davi dumped her for the office secretary on next weeks novela?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Mmmmmmm - unlikely to be able to receive Brazilian satellite TV here, as the beam is not in the right direction or the satellites would be over the horizon from Ireland. The furthest west satellite I could receive here on the east coast was 58West.
    To save me trawling through listings, can you indicate on which satellite you found Brazilian TV in the listings?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

There are Brazilian channels that can be received here http://www.flysat.com/tv-br.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

record tv is fta that shows loads of shows ect on it , can recieve on sky or fta ect....

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

fat-tony wrote: »
    Mmmmmmm - unlikely to be able to receive Brazilian satellite TV here, as the beam is not in the right direction or the satellites would be over the horizon from Ireland. The furthest west satellite I could receive here on the east coast was 58West.
    To save me trawling through listings, can you indicate on which satellite you found Brazilian TV in the listings?

Eurobird 1 (28.2E) - 12524.00 V - Txp: F2 - Beam: Steerable 1
    [Record Internacional Brazil General Sky Digital Clear 9535 2346 2347 por 304 2346 2008-10-20 + ]

scaller wrote: »
    There are Brazilian channels that can be received here http://www.flysat.com/tv-br.php

So of all that is available A Bird 1 has the most with only 3 channels. Is this all i will get in my location? Thats not good at all.
    antocann wrote:
    record tv is fta that shows loads of shows ect on it , can recieve on sky or fta ect....
    What does FTA mean? Is that a satelitte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Also FTA on Hotbird, TV Globo Internacional:

11585 V 27500 3/4 (Hotbird 6)

FTA = Free To Air (no viewing card/subscription required)

Thanks pbirney. So what satellite should I be aiming for? Hotbird 6? Will I be able to get both channels on 1 LNB? Will any FTA receiver box work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Thanks pbirney. So what satellite should I be aiming for? Hotbird 6? Will I be able to get both channels on 1 LNB? Will any FTA receiver box work?

Atlantic Bird 1 would be the better choice as it has 4 channels. (Record Internacional Europe (11622 H) is not on the Flysat list)

You cannot get both satellites on the one LNB (unless motorised)

Any FTA satellite receiver will get these channels.

pbirney wrote: »
    You cannot get both satellites on the one LNB (unless motorised)

Would it be possible with 2 seperate LNB's on the one dish?

Atlantic Bird 1 and Hotbird 6?

She has told me that the number 1 station is 'Globo', and 'Record' is second. Would be a waste to setup for just 1 channel, or likewise 4 channels without the most popular 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Record International is a bit on the weak side. I suspect your gf wants Globo, which can be easily received on Hispasat 30º west, but it is subscription only through TV Cabo (Portugal).
    From their site (http://www.tvcabo.pt/OnlineStore/Services/Tv.aspx) it seems you can get a subscription for €25/month (Globo is an extra included on the price). Not cheap, but if that is was she really really wants...

• Advertisement

Zynks wrote: »
    Record International is a bit on the weak side. I suspect your gf wants Globo, which can be easily received on Hispasat 30º west, but it is subscription only through TV Cabo (Portugal).
    From their site (http://www.tvcabo.pt/OnlineStore/Services/Tv.aspx) it seems you can get a subscription for €25/month (Globo is an extra included on the price). Not cheap, but if that is was she really really wants...
    Thanks for the link Zynks. Nice to see whats available. If I can pick up Hotbird 6 then I would go for that option because its free. I would abondon the entire idea if I had to pay subscriptions.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

So of all that is available A Bird 1 has the most with only 3 channels. Is this all i will get in my location? Thats not good at all.

What you could do is combine 2 of your dishes with a disecq switch to pick up Hotbird 13 east channels Rede Internacional de TV, TV Canção Nova Internacional, and Eurobird 1 28.5 channel Record Internacional Europa. along with all the English channels.
    But really you should talk to a local guy in the Aerial/Satellite Business where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Eurobird 1 (28.2E) - 12524.00 V - Txp: F2 - Beam: Steerable 1
    [Record Internacional Brazil General Sky Digital Clear 9535 2346 2347 por 304 2346 2008-10-20 + ]

Sorry - I took it you were looking for domestic Brazilian TV channels. The international versions are unlikely to carry much in the way of local soaps etc. unless by subscription. Check out the programme listings before investing in dish set-up etc. You could look at Record Internacional on a SKY box to check it out - but it's aimed at the ex-pat community in the UK so I'm not sure of the range of programming in comparison to domestic Brazilian tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 macstrudel

Hi, Can anyone shed light on why Brazilian news channel TV Record has lost sound although the picture is perfect (we have a free-to-air receiver), but a friend has no problem using a Sky receiver.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

macstrudel wrote: »
    Hi, Can anyone shed light on why Brazilian news channel TV Record has lost sound although the picture is perfect (we have a free-to-air receiver), but a friend has no problem using a Sky receiver.
    There should be an Audio button on your remote control, which usually gives you a list of different audio options for some channels, eg, different languages for Eurnoews.

Maybe there's 2 options for Record, one of which has the sound, the other blank. Worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

byte wrote: »
    There should be an Audio button on your remote control, which usually gives you a list of different audio options for some channels, eg, different languages for Eurnoews.

Maybe there's 2 options for Record, one of which has the sound, the other blank. Worth a try anyway.

I just checked it and this is the problem alright. Mine defaults to the AC3 audio track and plays fine, but there's an MPEG audio track that has no sound on my Edision.

Switching to the 2nd audio track will sort it.

Advertisement