Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I tell my manager that Ive been approached

Options
  • 24-01-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Im unregged for this as im looking for some advice.

Ive been working for a large organisation for about 3 years now. I enjoy aspects of my job, but the downsides seem almost as good.

Until now, i hadnt been looking for anything outside of where i am. However, over the past 2 months ive been getting alot of emails from recruiters i was with last time i was looking for a job and some through LinkedIn etc asking me if i would be interested in going for jobs they have available.

Now, some of these ive been sent over the past fortnight have been actually quite interesting and ive been more tempted to look into them.

The question I want to ask is, should i tell my current manager if i want to look further into these jobs, or should i wait to see if anything comes up from it. I dont see the point in saying anything unless anything comes of it, as i wouldnt want to damage any working relationships. However a friend told me i should, as it could otherwise be seen as disloyal by 1) my current employer and 2) any future employer.

this got me thinking that this might not be the best way to proceed, and i dont have much to say if i ever get to the interview stage if asked if they know im looking around, or if they ask why im leaving my current employer other than "you offer a better package and aspects of my job currently annoy me"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't say anything. It doesn't really sound like you've really been "approached" yet - just marketed at.
    However a friend told me i should, as it could otherwise be seen as disloyal by 1) my current employer and 2) any future employer

I don't agree with this at all. For a start, you're not even at the stage of submitting a CV to anyone. This could change in a week's time, but you are still at the very earliest stage of the process. You have very little to gain by telling your current boss that you're looking around. You're not really in a position to bargain with your current employer at this stage.

When it comes to the new employer; I really doubt they'd expect you to say anything until you hand your notice in.
    i dont have much to say if i ever get to the interview stage if asked if they know im looking around, or if they ask why im leaving my current employer other than "you offer a better package and aspects of my job currently annoy me"

No interviewer wants to be told that the candidate is there because they're pissed off in their current job. They want to be told that the candidate is excited about the job with the new company. Seriously - brush up on these types of questions. Negative responses about the old job really piss interviewers off; it doesn't send a good message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi

However, over the past 2 months ive been getting alot of emails from recruiters i was with last time i was looking for a job and some through LinkedIn etc asking me if i would be interested in going for jobs they have available.

This is very common.... recruiters are trolling for CVs all the time (especially in certain industries). Dont be TOO flattered unless an actual employer contacts you.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

3DataModem wrote: »
    This is very common.... recruiters are trolling for CVs all the time (especially in certain industries). Dont be TOO flattered unless an actual employer contacts you.

+1, Even if a recruiting agency phones you up directly, it's still not a "direct approach".
    If an employer comes to you with an offer and a position, then you might say it to your boss. Until then, it's just pie in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

You're nowhere near the point of telling your employer. Unless you're on a very friendly standing with them, say nothing.

LinkedIn are a third party business and are not prospective employers. Of course they'll send offers as they are on commission and in certain large online recruiting firms you may just have been communicating with a computer matching your job preferences on its database.

Imo, only on the day you are called in writing for an interview with an actual employer, is the day you can start thinking about saying something to your current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice.

Just to be clear, one of the positions i was looking at was directly from a recuiter in the company, not through a third party agency. They also requested an up to date cv. ive never been too bothered with LinkedIn and stuck up a really old CV years ago.

however, on the other hand, they didnt exactly give loads of info on the position, just a brief outline of it. im not even sure if its going to be what im expecting, its still too vague.

Anyway, i appreciate the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I wouldn't say anything until a formal offer is on the table.

Some managers can deal with employees that keep their eyes open, others might take it as a personal insult that you would dare to be interested in feeling the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's not always a personal thing. If you know that someone on your team is looking around, then it would be a bit short sighted not to take that into consideration (however unofficially) when it comes to things like upcoming projects, training courses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I get the "I'm a headhunter" line either by phone or email a couple times a month at least OP, it doesn't mean they have remotely enough details about you. I know if I told them my details they would switch off again!
    So no, not even remotely at "telling employer" stage yet

Advertisement