Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol price controls

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

We should introduce alcohol price controls in Ireland. Alcohol is being sold to cheap and this leads to poor public health and violent crime. I also suggest that it should be illegal to drink in public and the gardai should clamp down on people who do so.

In my area I see children getting intoxicated every weekend so obviously alcohol is to cheap. We need a price floor, I suggest that the prices should roughly double for any kind of alcohol.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

*pops open can of Bavaria*

Eh, sorry... did you say something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd be more concerned about where the childrens parents are if they are able to get drunk every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You sound suspiciously like a Vintner's Association troll. Cheap alcohol does not cause any of those problems, stupid people will do stupid things. Until we grow up as a nation and mature to escape this infantile pastime it cannot be solved by the government helping the publicans make even more money.

Look at France and other EU countries where alchol is both cheap and plentiful in social situations, where the problem is almost non-existant by comparison. Your suggestion benefits only the greedy publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Why do you think it is the price of alcohol specifically and not other factors such as culture and upbringing that leads to drinking problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bite me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

whiteonion wrote: »
    We should introduce alcohol price controls in Ireland. Alcohol is being sold too cheap, this leads to poor public health and violent crime.
    I also suggest that it should be illegal to drink in public and the gardai should clamp down on people who do so.

In my area I see children getting intoxicated every weekend, I therefore wrongly conclude alcohol is too cheap. We need a price floor, I suggest that the prices should roughly double for any kind of alcohol.

You are dead right, raising the price of cigarettes worked so well in reducing the numbers smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

We should introduce alcohol price controls in Ireland. Alcohol is being sold to cheap and this leads to poor public health and violent crime. I also suggest that it should be illegal to drink in public and the gardai should clamp down on people who do so.

In my area I see children getting intoxicated every weekend so obviously alcohol is to cheap. We need a price floor, I suggest that the prices should roughly double for any kind of alcohol.

It is illegial to drink in public and stop looking at children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You sound suspiciously like a Vintner's Association troll. .

Is this not the same OP that started the nonsense about taxing sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Cheap compared to where?

It is illegal to drink in public places unless licensed.

Scotland tried to introduce minimum alcohol prices and they could not under eu laws.

Tell parents to be more responsible with the amount of money they give their kids.

Suspicions of a trolling thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

red menace wrote: »
    You are dead right, raising the price of cigarette worked so well in reducing the numbers smoking

I hope you're being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

squod wrote: »
    Bite me.

I might... What do you taste like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

flame bait this is.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Yep and also editing the OP for mild comedic effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

**** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Your views will change when you're old enough to drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

oh thats kewl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

In my area I see children getting intoxicated every weekend so obviously alcohol is to cheap. We need a price floor, I suggest that the prices should roughly double for any kind of alcohol.[/

1-Alcohol prices in Ireland are already quite high by EU standards with the exception of the Scandinavian countries.
    2-If people wish to cause themselves cirrohis of the liver, alcohol poisoning etc, let them fire ahead. If you're old enough to abuse alcohol you're old enough to suffer the consequences.
    3-It is illegal to drink in public and has been since around 2006 or so. Guards in general do seem to take it seriously within reason. Clearly if there are several thousand people drinking al fresco a la Paddys Day, it would be impossibe to confiscate every container.
    4-Children should not be getting intoxicated, its illegal. Your logic seems to be because a gang of 15 year olds decide to get drunk my alcohol cost should double. This makes no sense. Furthermore kids will always consume alcohol in some form or another regardless of price.
    5-The highlighted part of your Op, I'm presuming this only applies to off licence sales somehow. You can't be seriously suggesting pubs start charging €10 for pints???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Yes, pubs can keep their current prices for all I care. It's just that I think its to cheap to get a six pack of beer for €6.

The cheaper something is the more of it people are likely to consume. When the prices goes up, people will have to cut down on the consumption.

Alcohol should be much more strongly regulated in this country. I suggest also increasing the drinking age to 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Blast the prices with piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Everyone drinks underage. For most people it's not a problem, just part of growing up.
    I don't see the big deal about it.

• Advertisement

Yes, pubs can keep their current prices for all I care. It's just that I think its to cheap to get a six pack of beer for €6.

The cheaper something is the more of it people are likely to consume. When the prices goes up, people will have to cut down on the consumption.

Alcohol should be much more strongly regulated in this country. I suggest also increasing the drinking age to 21.

Well if there's children getting drunk every weekend, as you say in your opening post, then being 21 won't really affect them will it? They will still get drunk. And lets face it, there's nothing funnier than a drunk child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

La-dy fucking-da. Loadsamoney here wants a tax on booze that directly effects only poor folk. Up fuckin' yours.

squod wrote: »
    La-dy fucking-da. Loadsamoney here wants a tax on booze that directly effects only poor folk. Up fuckin' yours.
    Poor people can do something else instead of drinking booze and destroying their physical and mental health.

Poor people can do something else instead of drinking booze and destroying their physical and mental health.

Yep, there's always drugs to fall back on.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Well if there's children getting drunk every weekend, as you say in your opening post, then being 21 won't really affect them will it? They will still get drunk. And lets face it, there's nothing funnier than a drunk child.
    In the case of kids getting drunk social services should take the kids from the parents because the parents are obviously not fit to raise children.

http://www.pricewiki.com/blog/2010/04/05/price-of-alcohol-in-europe/

We are second most expensive in Europe according to this, maybe price isn't the way to go about this?
    Any other ideas? How about banning glass as that is a delivery method for alcohol?
    Or maybe taxing water as it a vital ingredient in the manufacture of alcoholic products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

You have clearly destroyed the latter.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sorry OP, but you should put a link up, just in case someone thought it was your idea.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0124/breaking49.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

easyeason3 wrote: »
    And lets face it, there's nothing funnier than a drunk child.

Two drunk children.

• Advertisement

In the case of kids getting drunk social services should take the kids from the parents because the parents are obviously not fit to raise children.

Really? Then I should have been taken into care when I was 13. Admitedly I was a late starter, afterall I was a teenager when I started drinking. But in fairness who was thinking about my mental & physical health then? I wasn't because I was drunk.

Advertisement