Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Portarlington to Sandyford

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm a first time buyer and am seriously considering buying a house in Portarlington. I've been there a few times and I really like the town ....and the other posts seem to agree it's a good place to live. My concern is in relation to commuting times. I know that the trains are good and one of the reasons for choosing Portarlington is the train service in case I work in the city centre in the future. For now, I will be driving to Sandyford industrial estate. If anyone does this journey could they tell me roughly how long it takes and what time they leave at? I can start work anytime between 8am and 10am.
    Many thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

My better half drives from near Portarlington to near Dundrum which is around the same area. Takes her around an hour and a quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ClaudiaSchiffer

Personally I wouldn't buy in Portarlington cause there isn't much to the town in regard to facilities, however if it's purely for commuting reasons, like you say, well then that's an advantage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Personally I wouldn't buy in Portarlington cause there isn't much to the town in regard to facilities, however if it's purely for commuting reasons, like you say, well then that's an advantage.

for a town of its size id say its punching above its weight,....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 niavi

My better half drives from near Portarlington to near Dundrum which is around the same area. Takes her around an hour and a quarter.

thanks for that...what time does she leave at to do the journey in 1 hour 15?
    in relation to the other comments, I'm sure it isn't for everyone, but I think the fact it has a swimming pool etc, plus some independent retailers means it is doing pretty good for a small town - having visited kilcock last week i was shocked at the lack of shops/services. Plus it seems that there is a good sense of community which is what we're also looking for. still need to figure out if 1 hr 15 mins each way is a manageable commute for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I've driven to heuston station on an odd occasion, and also tallaght on occasion. Heuston took about an hour, tallaght about 50mins, both leaving round half6 to 7 am. JUst to give an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Can you expand on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Also to add when the schools are off the commuting time is even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 niavi

budhabob wrote: »
    I've driven to heuston station on an odd occasion, and also tallaght on occasion. Heuston took about an hour, tallaght about 50mins, both leaving round half6 to 7 am. JUst to give an idea.

that's really helpful, thanks a lot - looks like it will be early morning start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

niavi wrote: »
    that's really helpful, thanks a lot - looks like it will be early morning start :)

the earlier you go the faster obviously. It's not too bad a drive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Newlands Cross freeflow project is due to start this year, so it'll be two years of disruption and traffic jams. Once it's done though, it'll be a huge timesaver during rush-hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Newlands Cross freeflow project is due to start this year, so it'll be two years of disruption and traffic jams. Once it's done though, it'll be a huge timesaver during rush-hour.

This project is key to traffic in and out of Dublin. It's going to make such a difference. It will be similar to the N4 at Lucan I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

It all depends on what time you're leaving at. If you're leaving at 8am then you're talking at least an hour and a half because you'll be hitting Newlands cross around the 9am mark. If you were to leave Port at 9am then you should do it in an hour and 10 mins because you're avoiding rush hour traffic. And that's providing there are no accidents or road works etc. Also, as someone else said, it should be quicker in the summer months when the kids are off school and the weather is (usually!) a little better.

The commute really needs to be considered carefully if you plan on moving to Port. I did it for about four years from here to Ballymount and to be honest it nearly killed me but others handle it much better. I now work from home mostly so it's worked out for me. Would there be an option for you to work from home a couple of days a week. Might make things easier for you.

Advertisement