Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh Bray

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi

School placements are coming up for sept 2011, so far out of the schools in the bray area we applied to, we have had one offer of a place in Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh for our little boy. I would be very greatful if anyone has any feedback on this school.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

This was the school I went to, I was in the first class that graduated so I'd say it's changed a good bit since I was there but it was a nice school, small classes which is ideal for an all-Irish school. I presume they're still up near Loreto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oleone13

I visited this school recently and met with the principal and teacher of the junior infants and was very impressed with the school, in fact put my daughter's name down for September 2011. Now having done a bit of research on the school I am a bit worried. I believe that pupils are coming from Fassaroe and Palermo areas of Bray and one comment somebody made was something like this 'children are ruling the roost with their dysfunctional parents and their is violence and bullying'. Obviously now I am very worried about sending my daughter there. Would welcome any comments on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

oleone13 wrote: »
    I visited this school recently and met with the principal and teacher of the junior infants and was very impressed with the school, in fact put my daughter's name down for September 2011. Now having done a bit of research on the school I am a bit worried. I believe that pupils are coming from Fassaroe and Palermo areas of Bray and one comment somebody made was something like this 'children are ruling the roost with their dysfunctional parents and their is violence and bullying'. Obviously now I am very worried about sending my daughter there. Would welcome any comments on this.

I heard nothing but good about this school. You have to remember that no school is perfect and the poor kids of Fassaroe and Palermo have to be educated too.

From experience its the teacher and the child in question that make a good education. As you cant say kids from such and such an area cant be taught here you will be hard pressed to find a school without 'difficult' children.

Im living in a 'good' area of Bray and our neighbours kids are awful so I think your child will be fine where ever shes goes as long as the teacher is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

Hi Karl and Oleone
    I have had 2 kids through the school and one still in it and I have to say I have nothing but praise for the school. Sure there are problems, and problem kids, but every school has that, what is important is how issues are dealt with.
    Any problems my kids have had, including academic problems, bullying, and the normal day to day school issues, have all been dealt with promptly and sympathetically. The teachers are very dedicated, and because it is a small school, there is a lovely atmosphere, and most of the teachers know nearly all of the children in the school.
    The building which is being carried out at the moment should solve some of the space issues in the school. While there is a definite lack of facilities, the school more than makes up for in its ethos, atmosphere and dedication of the staff.
    Happy schooling!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

Hi all,

Just reading up on some feedback, the missus is up the walls about sending our little fella to the above school as she had been told the same things that have been mentioned in the posts, i know all schools have their problems but all we want is for our son to be safe and be able to learn without any hassle.

Thanks for the feedback all:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gone

Hi all,

My child has just been offered a place in Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh for 2012 and I'm just wondering if anyone has anything more to offer on the thread? We found principal and teachers all great and the new extension very pleasant but would appreciate anymore more info ... Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bonnnie

I believe that pupils are coming from Fassaroe and Palermo areas of Bray and one comment somebody made was something like this 'children are ruling the roost with their dysfunctional parents and their is violence and bullying'. Obviously now I am very worried about sending my daughter there. Would welcome any comments on this.[/QUOTE]

This statement is extremely offensive:mad:. Firstly, I went to St. Gerard's which is a fee paying school in Bray, where it is truly the case that the pupils " rule the roost" parents are paying the money and they will demand to have their say, and their way. On several occasions while growing up I heard my class mates telling teachers that "my dad pays your wages" (which of course is not the case anyway) and when teachers try to instill any discipline irate mothers arrive laying down the law. In fact, we used to get Saturday morning detention, which had to changed to Friday afternoons at parents insistence as it was interfering with rugby games!

My husband, on the other hand was raised in Fassaroe. He is in no way violent or dysfunctional. Actually, you might find it interesting to know that despite my education which includes a degree and H.Dip that I don't earn enough to get a mortgage alone, where as my husband who left school at 15 has run his own company for the last 12 years and not alone earns enough to pay our mortgage singlehandedly but also pays to send our children to private schools. I'm glad to say that I don't think he would look down his nose at you because you've decided to send your child to an Irish school as opposed to a private school. I'm sure it must be painful to have a plebeian being more financially successful than you! Ill be sure to ask him if he is ever to stab you that he have the decency to do so with a knife that has a mother of pearl handle!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thrrad. My child is heading there next year and have met loads of parents of kids in the years above and am very impressed.

My only issue is after school care, his creche no longer offers collection or after school care. Does anyone know of any in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jellybeanmom

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect a zombie thrrad. My child is heading there next year and have met loads of parents of kids in the years above and am very impressed.

My only issue is after school care, his creche no longer offers collection or after school care. Does anyone know of any in the area?

Hey CramCycle

My daughter is in junior infants at the moment,very happy with the school could not fault it .

Doesn't apply to me but I know this year Clare Elizabeth and little Harvard drop and collect from school?

Hope this helps

Hey CramCycle

My daughter is in junior infants at the moment,very happy with the school could not fault it .

Doesn't apply to me but I know this year Clare Elizabeth and little Harvard drop and collect from school?

Hope this helps
    Thanks very much, I know little Harvard as nephew went there. That would suit perfectly. Really looking forward to him starting as all the parents and kids we have met have been so nice. Teachers were also really great.

Hopefully they have space, if anyone else has any other options in the nearby area, that would be great, just in case.

• Advertisement

Alas they are all full and with waiting lists, hopefully they filter out a bit but this is stressful.

I can sort the drop off quite easily but it looks like I am out of luck for collection and after school. Hurrah. Current options are employing someone (I prefer the creche, accreditation, inspections, other parents, social interaction etc.) or quitting my job.

Advertisement