Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from Windows Starter to Windows 7

• 24-01-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Recently got a new Samsung netbook. Very happy with it but looking to upgrade from the Windows Starter platform provided to Windows 7 so programmes work that bit faster. Going to upgrade from 1 GB RAM as well, but not being altogether tech savvy, I'd appreciate a little advice.

Firstly, would upgrading the RAM do the job by itself and save me having to get the new platform.

Secondly, if I do get the new platform, any ideas on the cost of such an upgrade? Also, if it is installed, then does the installation wipe everything back to scratch in the same manner as a reformat, so do I need to save anything I've done so far?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Please help, running so slowly now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Starter is actually lighter than a full copy IIRC. Upgrading will theoretically slow you down(though practically it might remove a load of bloatware and speed things up).

Get the ram upgrade and clean starter. Run CCCleaner for a start, make sure you have at least 15% free storage and run a defrag.

What netbook is it? Specs? If its low end it'll likely only be suitable for browsing and basic wordprocessing etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the specs out many netbooks only have one memory socket / can't recognise more than one GB per socket

Vista starter is more limited than XP in many respects, the main limitation being how few programs you can run at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Thank you kindly for your replies, I found a good deal on a 2GB RAM chip on eBay so am waiting for that to arrive, will install it and see how that improves performance. Like I said, I'm not intending this little notebook for heavy duty use so that should do the job, on advice will hold off upgrading the operating system...

Advertisement