Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course points question

• 25-01-2011 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Is it possible to get on to a course that you don't have enough points for?
    (I don't mean like 5 /10 points off)

Something like 40 points off..

Like if the places aren't all taken on that course..etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Depends if it ends up on the vacant places list. Otherwise no unless you have been approved for the HEAR or DARE scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I would very much dissuade you from pinning your hopes on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

I was thinking that, thanks for the replies:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Always another way - check courses for FETAC/PLC entry possibilities, or following diplomas/certs.

spurious wrote: »
    Always another way - check courses for FETAC/PLC entry possibilities, or following diplomas/certs.

Do you mean check the entry possibilities on the actual course I want to apply for?

Just checked it doesn't say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DMG_49 wrote: »
    Do you mean check the entry possibilities on the actual course I want to apply for?

Just checked it doesn't say

I mean check different routes into your chosen field.
    With the exception of the courses like Medicine/Law etc., (and even there sometimes) there are ways round, such as a diploma or certificate in an associated field, some experience and a sideways move into the course you want.

Talk to your careers advisor and explain you are open to all routes, no matter how long it takes.At the end of the day, it's the same qualification.

I mean check different routes into your chosen field.
    With the exception of the courses like Medicine/Law etc., (and even there sometimes) there are ways round, such as a diploma or certificate in an associated field, some experience and a sideways move into the course you want.

Talk to your careers advisor and explain you are open to all routes, no matter how long it takes.At the end of the day, it's the same qualification.

OK thanks, think the best bet is to go to the career advisor and see from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

The course that I want to do was 465 last year and to be honest, I can see myself getting that but if I didn't could I do a FETAC/PLC and then do the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DMG_49 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get on to a course that you don't have enough points for?
    (I don't mean like 5 /10 points off)

Something like 40 points off..

Like if the places aren't all taken on that course..etc

Your post doesn't make sense. A course is either filled or it isn't. If it is, then there are no places left. If there are vacant places in Round 2 or subsequent rounds they are offered to the next applicant on the list who meets the requirements and has the next highest points score. If that happens to be you, you get in.

If say there are 20 places on a course and only 10 people apply to do the course through the CAO and all 10 take an offer of a place on the course (to keep things simple), then there are 10 vacant places on the course. That course would then be advertised in the national papers or on the CAO website. If you have not got a course or wish to apply for that course and meet requirements (points don't matter) then you can apply directly to the CAO in August/September for a place on that course.

Advertisement