Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yolo?

• 25-01-2011 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

has anyone been to YOLO. is it nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Carry wrote: »

but theres nothing about it on google . its a bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It's the old 'Library' pub across from the Queens. I know a couple who went there on Sat and they said it was nice. I personally think the name is pretty cheesy as it's an acronym for 'You Only Live Once'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is this the third name change in as many years for that place? Kings, Library and not YOLO. I haven't been there yet so I will hold judgement until I do frequent the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Who is running it now? The name changes every time a new owner comes along.

The Cloister has changed owners three times since it re-opened as well. Between rent and rates it's hard to keep the doors open on a place that size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The same folks who have Charlie Stewerts as fair as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

The photos on FB look amazing! Will be going there on Sat night with a few of the girlies to check it out!!

maiden wrote: »
    The photos on FB look amazing! Will be going there on Sat night with a few of the girlies to check it out!!
    You shouldn't be saying things like that, you'll have every girl in the place accousted by boardsies going "are you maiden from boards?", it'll be the new "how are you doin'?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yes it is under new management (Charlie Stewart's guys). Had a good night in there over Xmas, very busy hopefully it will keep it going. Good alternative to Knox's and THAT place across the road.
    Big bucks spent there by all accounts.

Clareman wrote: »
    You shouldn't be saying things like that, you'll have every girl in the place accousted by boardsies going "are you maiden from boards?", it'll be the new "how are you doin'?" :D

Ha ha Clareman very true! Mightnt be so bad though because myself and a few of the girls are single!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think it's quite nice. The Library was a big improvement layout wise on Kings, and the new tweaks have improved it further. The bars are more sensibly located so you don't have to shove past people (not that that's as much of a problem as it used to be!)

Decor is attractive. The smoking area is sheltered and has lots of heaters.

It'll be down to wether it attracts any regulars now. I quite like the Cloister but it's been a bit empty in recent months. The smoking area is a bit on the exposed side as well.

I like Charlies and the staff - must check that place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Don_Corleone

In fairness it looks very well and theyve obviously spent a lot of money on it. But is it really going to do much more business than the library did for the investment?
    Should last longer than the others though, the owners have deep pockets
    but the name is retarded man yeah (said in best ennis accent):D

Is it aimed for the young ppl or are they keeping it anyones preference

There was a mix when I was there. 18 year olds upstairs having a birthday party. Older people downstairs. Music wasn't too loud. Decor is contemporary but not too flashy. Seems aimed at anybody really.

Until the council decides to fix the rates and owners fix the rents, it's probably doomed to a short existence.

For example, you know the spot that used to be El Pasos and then was Shenanigans and has been a few names since then? They ask for €3200 a month rent. Thats €800 a week. Then you pay another €200-€400 a week for rates.

So thats about €1200 a week just for rent, before you get into an ESB thats about €250 and another €200 a month for heating if it's winter.

Put in costs for having Sky, various distributor fees, and some other various charges (too many to list) and you are looking at about €2000-€2500 a week for a spot BEFORE you pay any of your employees, which run even more. Considering YOLO and The Cloister are both twice the size I'm betting all those prices are even higher, especially for heating and ESB.

That's a LOT of pints you have to sell to even break even for a month.

Combine that with the fact you have places like the Queens where the owners own the building and don't have to pay rent and are willing to drop the prices to below cost for a month to drive out any new competitors and you have a mix that promises no new business.

CptSternn wrote: »
    That's a LOT of pints you have to sell to even break even for a month.

Ya i heard drinks are bit expensive

Had the opportunity to head to Yolo Saturday - it was a nice. They had a good crowd, the staff were brill and the prices were decent sure.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/yolo-ennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Johnny56

Ive been to this place a few times since it opened and think its brilliant!! The place lookes amazing, it has a state of the art lighting system that even changes to the music (thought i was imagining things when i first noticed this) :) The staff are excellent and you can get served in no time at all even tho its really busy

Any time ive been there its been an older crowd with no young ones there to wreck your head (a welcome change from going to the queens) the smoking area is the best in town i think - well heated and even has an outdoor tv.

drink prices are normall i think & the girlfriend was very impressed with getting a cocktail for only a fiver, all in all a great new addition to the town & a welcome new late bar - it was badly needed.

Johnny56 wrote: »
    Ive been to this place a few times since it opened and think its brilliant!! The place lookes amazing, it has a state of the art lighting system that even changes to the music (thought i was imagining things when i first noticed this) :) The staff are excellent and you can get served in no time at all even tho its really busy.......

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but do you work there? I'll eat my hat if you've no connection with the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Johnny56

ha no i dont but one of the lads does work there so maybe i am a wee bit biased :)

Johnny56 wrote: »
    ha no i dont but one of the lads does work there so maybe i am a wee bit biased :)

Well I doubt you'd go to the trouble of setting up a boards membership just to make one comment, esp. for a business.
    I'm not knocking ya, and I wish ye the best of luck with your future venture, sincerely.

I love when people do thinly veiled advertisement posts. Get nabbed every time.

I like it when people use the report post function to report posts they think might not be legit, pity it didn't happen on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I didn't realise it was a late bar, so its in competition with knoxs?

Its nice having another option other than Queens or Knoxs (or Brandons for some)

I was there a few weeks ago with a few of the girls, while I was delighted with the place, we had to leave because it was soooooo dark in there!

It was dark to the point that we honestly had a problem seeing people, it was brighter in the smoking area!

What time does Yolo Close?. Thanks everyone for the advice. its helped a lot. just wanted to get the background info on the place. So all that is left now is for me to go there and experience it first hand :D

What time does Yolo Close?. Thanks everyone for the advice. its helped a lot. just wanted to get the background info on the place. So all that is left now is for me to go there and experience it first hand :D

It's a late bar, so half one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Late Bars in Ennis are 2am. At about €420 a night for the privilege they would want to get at least that ;)

• Advertisement

croker95 wrote: »
    Late Bars in Ennis are 2am. At about €420 a night for the privilege they would want to get at least that ;)

True, but they stop serving @ around 1.30AM.

Advertisement