Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How dire is the situation in Ireland ATM?

• 25-01-2011 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

With the current state we are in. From what I can see where I live, people aren't too bad. A person nearby got a 2011 car, there hasn't yet been an increase in burglaries. But up live in a "upper middle class" neighbourhood of you will, no graffiti or bordered up houses, the area doesn't suffer from anti-social problems at all.

I would imagine in some places it is pretty bad, can somebody please give an example of the entire situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

CorkMan wrote: »
    But I live in a "upper middle class" neighbourhood of you will, no graffiti or bordered up houses, the area doesn't suffer from anti-social problems at all.

In Cork?

Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Its grand, We've just been reset to "Default".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How dire is the situation in Ireland ATM?

Don't worry. I got 50 quid out this evening from an AIB one with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

With the current state we are in. From what I can see where I live, people aren't too bad. A person nearby got a 2011 car, there hasn't yet been an increase in burglaries. But up live in a "upper middle class" neighbourhood of you will, no graffiti or bordered up houses, the area doesn't suffer from anti-social problems at all.

I would imagine in some places it is pretty bad, can somebody please give an example of the entire situation.

There's 450,00 people unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

From what I can see where I live, people aren't too bad.
    A person nearby bought a 2011 car.
    There hasn't yet been an increase in burglaries.
    But I live in an "upper middle class" neighbourhood if you will, no graffiti or boarded up houses, the area doesn't suffer from anti-social problems at all.

Education standards are on the decline for a start

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    There's 450,00 people unemployed.

There's probably a lot more than that.

The media & politicians always quote the figures on the live register as unemployment figures, though in truth, the live register is just an account of the number of people signing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It can be difficult, but if you look hard enough there are plenty of girls over here that like to suck the chocolate off after a good root in the Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ireland's ATM is empty

EDIT; Damn, beaten to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Things seem a lot better than people are making them out to be, that's for sure.

Unemployment is high, but that's because our government and most of the people in this country are saving rather than spending... which is the exact opposite of what we need to do to get our economy moving again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I've seen two 2011 cars so far. . .. maybe it was the same one twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

There are a lot of people in financial trouble but there are lots more who seem to pretend to be for the trend. Any time my parents go on the phone at least 10 minutes will be dedicated to how poor other people are and purchases aren't talked about.
    And every other joke nowadays seems to be about the lack of money, or how its the governments fault.

OisinT wrote: »
    Things seem a lot better than people are making them out to be, that's for sure.

Unemployment is high, but that's because our government and most of the people in this country are saving rather than spending... which is the exact opposite of what we need to do to get our economy moving again.

As far as I recall, we have one of the highest - if not the highest - savings rate per capita in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Pretty bad Joan Burton just went loco on V.B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

due to our opposition being so poor and out of practice in running the country the cowboys fianna fail are gonna to bump into contention.

Pretty bad Joan Burton just went loco on V.B

You mean she jumped him & rode him like an demented cowgirl?

On live TV?!!

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

From what i can see, your either badly effected by the downturn (lost job) or not really affected at all (maybe only a few tax hikes).
    People like to complain about tax hikes, but that means your working so, not the worst off.
    People always complain about the price of good, it just during the bubble days people were embarrassed to say anything encase the neighbours would think they were poor.
    People like to complain about negative equity, but if you can pay the mortgage and aren't forced to sell, then your fine.
    I'd say the majority are coping with the situation, but there are plenty who have no light at the end of the tunnel.
    We can only hope the majority don't become the minority.

Senna wrote: »
    We can only hope the majority don't become the minority.

If the majority become the minority, then the minority are actually the majority & then the previous majority are actually the new minority.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Gettin' worried are ya, Finbar? Don't worry, we'll be bashing your door down when we need a bit o' Barry's Tae! Until then.....continue dodging your taxes and being a cheap oul langer. We'll get round to you and your family in good time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

From what i can see, your either badly effected by the downturn (lost job) or not really affected at all (maybe only a few tax hikes).
    People like to complain about tax hikes, but that means your working so, not the worst off.

"A few tax hikes" is what's crippling people who work for a living actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I would say we are in dire straits, so I would imagine any mention of us will be banned off Canadian airwaves by the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Another year i'd say before things really start get interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Degsy wrote: »
    "A few tax hikes" is what's crippling people who work for a living actually

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if your crippled now, you'll be fcuked when the next round of cuts come. Not to mention interest rates hikes and an end to the few remaining tax reliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if your crippled now, you'll be fcuked when the next round of cuts come. Not to mention interest rates hikes and an end to the few remaining tax reliefs.
    Yeah the majority of IMF conditions haven't even begun to kick in yet. And if government expenditure doesn't miraculously shape up, the Croke Park deal is gone, so we can look forward to widespread strikes from public sector unions. Genuinely, I think its going to get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Another year i'd say before things really start get interesting.

Yep - still alot of denial among the populace ATM, especcially given the p*ss poor standard of irish politicians. Tonights VB show has me very depressed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I haven't seen people walking around the place begging for food or anything. I hope it doesn't happen but it good.

I wonder if many are starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

When I left in November it was thoroughly depressing (I'm from the midlands).

I imagine it's a lot worse now with the IMF bailout happening and the harshest budget in the history of the state been implemented.

Family wise, my brother has left for the UK, I'm in Canada and my sister will probably have to leave when she graduates in May (teacher). My Dad lost his job last summer after 25 years in the same company.

Grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

But up live in a "upper middle class" neighbourhood of you will, no graffiti or bordered up houses, the area doesn't suffer from anti-social problems at all.

On a serious note,what part is that? I ca only think of places like Rochestown and Blackrock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Media reports yesterday stated that the State Coroner has said that suicide levels in this country are at epidemic levels, sadly.

No doubt the harsh economic times are a contributing factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Genuinely, I think its going to get messy.

Messier - I think we're already the dictionary definition of messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Terrible. Stay in Cork.

hinault wrote: »
    Media reports yesterday stated that the State Coroner has said that suicide levels in this country are at epidemic levels, sadly.

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

well if the banks fail the ATMS will follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Dont get me wrong, things are bad for a lot of people but there are also a lot of people who are screaming and moaning yet still sitting on nice savings and enjoying a pretty good lifestyle-the moaning isnt from genuine hardship, its from simply not wanting to give up any part of their nice lifestyle.

I know so many people, public sector and private, who are moaning left right and centre, yet they still have their weekends away and holidays booked, have the latest gadgets etc etc. Of course they are perfectly entitled to have these things but theyre not exactly going hungry just yet, they just really need that trip to barcelona with the bird ye know......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the only real problem seems to be that there's a lot of delusion going on in Cork, or Cork 90210 as they now appear to be calling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

OisinT wrote: »

This.

But at the same time, you can't spend thin air :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

has your granny been thrown on a trolley yet and left there for a few days? No? is it because she is with the VHI and gets priority treatment - Yes? Where is she going to get the 45% more they want to charge her now? Will your granny be thrown on a trolley in future? Yes? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

hinault wrote: »

whgat was that that big face ahern guy said about the "begrudgers" when they were trying to tell the fool the country was in trouble???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think everyone in AH and in the country should have to read this post. It eloquently describes the situation in easy terms and is the most truthful and factual post regarding the recovery I've seen on boards.

has your granny been thrown on a trolley yet and left there for a few days? No? is it because she is with the VHI and gets priority treatment - Yes? Where is she going to get the 45% more they want to charge her now? Will your granny be thrown on a trolley in future? Yes? No?

My Grandmother died in 1995, but currently I don't know anyone who has had to use a trolley. I have the medical card BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Do you have a link?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0124/suicide.html

The recession has impacted everyone differently. I would say some far worse than others but everyone has felt the pinch in some way. People have lost their jobs, homes. I heard a guy on the radio who couldn't afford to go to the dentist so I would say the situation appears to be dire, Similarly to you OP I haven't noticed anyone in my area too badly affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

A person nearby got a 2011 car, there hasn't yet been an increase in burglaries. But up live in a "upper.

Holy chr*st, I can't believe people are still gauging the state of the country on whether or not you can buy a new feckin' car. That's the very definition of the celtic tiger right there.

Depressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Honestly, the country isn't in as "good" a state as it was back in, say, 2007 but it's still nowhere near as bad as people are letting on.

What you have to remember is that our economic boom was built largely on credit, so in some ways you could say it didn't really happen at all because borrowed money isn't actual wealth. The country is re-adjusting now to an actual viable, sustainable situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I'm working, so I'm one of the lucky ones. My salary is a fair bit above minimum wage but miles below the national average.

However:
    I have needed extensive detal treatment for three months and am saving up for it, can't afford to just get it done (estimate is 300 euro).

I've had to give up learning to drive, which shouldn't be a massive aspiration for someone in their late twenties but I had to leave it too long between lessons to make progress.

I have absolutely no prospect of a pay rise, a promotion or a better job in the foreseeable future, which at my age is starting to affect whether or not I will ever be able to have a family.

So from my point of view, I'm doing grand at the moment, getting by, meeting all my bills, but I have no prospect of ever having a better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Debthree wrote: »
    Holy chr*st, I can't believe people are still gauging the state of the country on whether or not you can buy a new feckin' car. That's the very definition of the celtic tiger right there.

Depressing.

Any 2011 cars you see are likely to be company cars.

Or bought on credit, which is hilariously stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

In Cork?

Are you sure?

no. his location says 'the real capital' so its somewhere in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

it's simple really. everyone's going to emigrate. if you turned on a tv or read boards these days you'd be convinced the whole island is moving en masse to austrailia.

so that's it really...as soon as everyone's just f'ucked off i'll have the country to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'm emigrating in 3 weeks, but not to Australia. Doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

OSI wrote: »
    Lol

BTW OP, the medical card pretty much puts you on the bottom of the pile when it comes to receiving healthcare.

i'm more worried about why someone in an 'upper middle class neighbourhood' has a medical card.

queue clíche...THAT'S WHATS WRONG WITH THIS F'UCKIN COUNTRY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

I don't understand the people who ARE emigrating to Australia; pay huge amount on flights etc, a year later your visa expires and you're kicked out and sent home anyway. Doesnt seem like a fresh start to me

• Advertisement
Advertisement