Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

players wages/transfer fees

• 25-01-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

right lads here's the deal i think that footballers deserve every penny they get. here's my arguement right they earn up to 200,000 quid a week and go for huge fees ie ronaldo £80m or whatever. some people say they whinge whine moan fall over if a gust of wind blows at all. and yeah some arent the best role models or whatever. some have been in jail some have taken drugs and all that stuff.......blah blah blah if ye ask me.

but my point is trust me folks ill get to it, movie stars,musicians earn more than these guys and prob do worse things or at least as bad but no one bats an eye lid when they do somethin wrong or says that they dont deserve all that money not a peep from anyone but as soon as ronaldo falls over he's accused of divin and bein a cheat or whatever and he doesnt deserve a penny of his wages. john terry and ashley cole cheat on their wives/girlfriends and dont get me wrong im not condoning it but there hated and if a movie/musician star does it its yesterdays news even before it comes todays news. footballer misses a penalty all of a sudden how dare he ask for 50 grand/100 grand a week, movie star makes a really bad film and still gets millions for it and nobody says they should handback their pay cheque or a musician makes a terrible song/album they're already signed to a label so they're already paid.

people might argue actors/musicians are entertainers but so are footballers they entertain 40/50,000 people every week

anyway rant over feel free to cast your opinion if not then thats ok too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That was incredibly difficult to read, but anyway.....

Value is all relative imo. Something is only worth what somebody willing to pay, if even one person is willing to pay an amount for any commodity in any walk of life then it is worth that amount.

My 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

€200,000 a week is scandalous money whatever you do be it Football or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

yeah its late and im half asleep sorry its hard to read but thanks for your 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

cson wrote: »
    €200,000 a week is scandalous money whatever you do be it Football or otherwise.

Yes bit is it scandalous for the person to take it or it scandalous for the people paying it in the first place.

right lads here's the deal i think that footballers deserve every penny they get. here's my arguement right they earn up to 200,000 quid a week and go for huge fees ie ronaldo £80m or whatever. some people say they whinge whine moan fall over if a gust of wind blows at all. and yeah some arent the best role models or whatever. some have been in jail some have taken drugs and all that stuff.......blah blah blah if ye ask me.

but my point is trust me folks ill get to it, movie stars,musicians earn more than these guys and prob do worse things or at least as bad but no one bats an eye lid when they do somethin wrong or says that they dont deserve all that money not a peep from anyone but as soon as ronaldo falls over he's accused of divin and bein a cheat or whatever and he doesnt deserve a penny of his wages. john terry and ashley cole cheat on their wives/girlfriends and dont get me wrong im not condoning it but there hated and if a movie/musician star does it its yesterdays news even before it comes todays news. footballer misses a penalty all of a sudden how dare he ask for 50 grand/100 grand a week, movie star makes a really bad film and still gets millions for it and nobody says they should handback their pay cheque or a musician makes a terrible song/album they're already signed to a label so they're already paid.

people might argue actors/musicians are entertainers but so are footballers they entertain 40/50,000 people every week

anyway rant over feel free to cast your opinion if not then thats ok too

On the salary thing,they operate in a free market,they are paid what they are worth.

On the media thing,the british media are all over them but thats a cultural thing,I dont think they are hassled to the same extent in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's all a big bubble. It will burst with devastating consequences.

It's all a big bubble. It will burst with devastating consequences.
    Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Heres my take on footballers wages, for what its worth.

Seeing as the figure being chucked about is 200K, lets take Wayne Rooney as an example. (And lets say he's on form! :pac:)

Now "Our Wayne" plays infront of 30,000+ live people every week, sometimes twice that number and often twice a week, generally at an average ticket price of 30quid a pop.
    Further to that the English Premiership, English FA Cup and Champions League are beamed to millions of people worldwide.
    These worldwide showings create billions of pounds in revenue through sponsorship deals, and it because of people like Wayne's presence that these deals are so lucrative.
    So we have revenue going to Man Utd, The English Premiership and FA, UEFA, FIFA and the TV stations directly through the talents of people like Rooney.

Beyond that, and as a product of these TV deals, it is not unusual to go anywhere in the world and find a kid in a Man Utd top, often with Rooney's name on the back - Again creating millions in revenue for Man Utd.

These shirt sales have a sponsor on the front of them, because the company who sponsor them know that the sheer power of having millions upon millions of Utd jerseys, many of them bought because of Rooney, on people all over the world will in the long run create more business for them.

So with all that in mind, not only does Rooney make money for football, he is also indirectly responsible for the creation of jobs and the success of businesses outwith football. From the people who make the shirts, right up to the advertising executives who chose to use Rooney, Man Utd and Football as ther vehicle for showing their clients wares.

So, players like Rooney can directly be worth billions of pounds to the economy of football, and indirectly to the economy overall.

With all that in mind you have to ask yourself one thing.
    Would you prefer that money to go to the players, or to the likes of the Glazers who "own" him?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I dont see the point of what your saying?
    Footballers a whiney bitches, some arent great role models, some have been in jail and some have done drugs?
    OK...
    but my point is trust me folks ill get to it, movie stars,musicians earn more than these guys and prob do worse things or at least as bad but no one bats an eye lid when they do somethin wrong or says that they dont deserve all that money not a peep from anyone but as soon as ronaldo falls over he's accused of divin and bein a cheat or whatever and he doesnt deserve a penny of his wages.
    Have you ever heard of those gossip magazines? The minute a musician/actor makes a fook-up its nearly on sky breaking news.
    Plus they get the job done (i.e release an album/movie) What ever they do in their personal life if up to them once they do the job they were paid to do.

Also diving is cheating, people will be mad that he does it and it can change a game etc. Still who cares what people think? He's worked hard to be where he is and a few people arent going to take that away.

Still dont see you point btw.

john terry and ashley cole cheat on their wives/girlfriends and dont get me wrong im not condoning it but there hated and if a movie/musician star does it its yesterdays news even before it comes todays news. footballer misses a penalty all of a sudden how dare he ask for 50 grand/100 grand a week, movie star makes a really bad film and still gets millions for it and nobody says they should handback their pay cheque or a musician makes a terrible song/album they're already signed to a label so they're already paid.
    Once again, no sports fans gives a **** what they do in their personal time. Its the WAG magazines that blow it out of proportion. And yes actors and musicians do get into the spotlight for the same personal reasons too.

*claps hands*

Are you saying players deserve their wages/transfer fee's?

If so you could have spared yourself the few minutes and rambling by saying it.

Its hard for me to say they dont deserve it or they do, but they have dedicated alot of time and effort into the sport thats driven by money. And that can only mean one thing. Big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think if a club can afford to pay high wages ie €200,000+ that is no issue they are trying t bring success to their club and are using there financial power while not compromising the future of the club at the same time. On the other hand if I'm being paid €200,000 a week and the club I play for can't pay for it then it is scandalous the club should come before the players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In a sense it's 'morally' (for want of a better word) wrong tp pay anybody that amount of money at what were once community clubs that were affordable to all (including low-income) supporters of the club and it's sad to see that distance between the stars and the supporters that pay their wages. This is before you even get into the fact that most clubs can't really afford the wages they pay.

That said, given the amount of money generated by the players off-field, they certainly deserve far better recompsense than players of other eras and if clubs are willing to pay it, what can you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's the world we're living in; you're worth what someone is willing to pay.

having said that, not one person in the world deserves to earn as much as Premier League footballers earn.

unless you cure cancer or AIDS.

then you can argue it.

but not one person 'deserves' that sort of money.

it's fúcking obscene, and if looked at outside of the bubble of football, would make you fúcking vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You'd swear they were robbing money off people. If that's what people are willing to pay then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dsmythy wrote: »
    You'd swear they were robbing money off people. If that's what people are willing to pay then so be it.

Exactly, if they were civil servants or TDs I'd have a problem with it, but they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There's no justice in the sport when scum like El Hadji Diouf and Charles N'Zogbia are set for life, where Jermaine Pennant 'forgot' that he owned a Ferrari, and a legend like Garrincha dies in poverty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

There's no justice in the sport when scum like El Hadji Diouf and Charles N'Zogbia are set for life, where Jermaine Pennant 'forgot' that he owned a Ferrari, and a legend like Garrincha dies in poverty.

In fairness that was as much to do with Garrincha's alcoholism and the fact he fathered at least 14 children. Garrincha always had a compulsive personality and thus was always likely to fall off the wagon at some stage.

Look at Pelé for example, he's from the same era but he's financially set for life.

I think the likes of Jimmy Hill don't get the credit they desreve because previous to that footballers were essentially treated like slaves. And we can't revert to that kind of situation either.

Advertisement