Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student advice!

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi everyone I've been lurking on boards for years now! I'm looking for some advice so I've finally signed up!

Basicly I'm 24 and want to return to college full time! I want to do social care in cit. I have all my application thought out personal statement etc but my main problem is relevant work experience and I haven't done any course related to this either . I do have alot of life experience which I think ive highlighted well in my personal statement. I have done a few weeks voluntary work experience in a rehabilitation centre( prefer not to mention name) and I'm doing a few hours here and there in a st v de Paul shop.

What id like to know is would I be better off not applying this year and doing a plc course in September? Or will applying this year stand to me if I was to reapply next year? I know I shouldn't be negative but I don't feel I have what it takes to be accepted this year!

Also if anyone can tell me if there's a difference between the ucc course and the cit? I know cit is level 7 ucc is level 8. I did start a part time course in youth and community work in ucc and I just felt lost totally panicked when it came to the assignment submitted it but never returned to the course. I did pass that assignment and I have gained a lot of confidence in the past year so I know now I can do it! Sorry I'm starting to rant! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Confused2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I'm no expert, but if I was in your position and I really wanted to get a place this year I would definitely go for it, concentrate on getting all your experience into your personal statement.
    If you do get turned down this year then you can ask them what exactly it is you need to do to improve your chances of getting a place next year. I don't think applying 2 years in a row would hinder your chances, if anything it would make your next application stronger as they will see that you really want it! Good luck with your application! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Hi everyone I've been lurking on boards for years now! I'm looking for some advice so I've finally signed up!

Basicly I'm 24 and want to return to college full time! I want to do social care in cit. I have all my application thought out personal statement etc but my main problem is relevant work experience and I haven't done any course related to this either . I do have alot of life experience which I think ive highlighted well in my personal statement. I have done a few weeks voluntary work experience in a rehabilitation centre( prefer not to mention name) and I'm doing a few hours here and there in a st v de Paul shop.

What id like to know is would I be better off not applying this year and doing a plc course in September? Or will applying this year stand to me if I was to reapply next year? I know I shouldn't be negative but I don't feel I have what it takes to be accepted this year!

Also if anyone can tell me if there's a difference between the ucc course and the cit? I know cit is level 7 ucc is level 8. I did start a part time course in youth and community work in ucc and I just felt lost totally panicked when it came to the assignment submitted it but never returned to the course. I did pass that assignment and I have gained a lot of confidence in the past year so I know now I can do it! Sorry I'm starting to rant! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Confused2011

Level 8 is usually an honours degree, so therfore if you are going to go for it, then why not get the best available qualification?

I did a PLC course prior to pursuing my degree (a different area than your chosen field of study) and I have to highlight, that were it not for the PLC course, I would be in extreme difficulty with assignments, exams etc. Also, it may sit better with the college, if you convey your participation on a PLC in Social Care at level 5. That said, why not try it this year if you feel comfortable with assignments, etc? If unsuccessful this year, it will reveal your commitment to the subject, if you return the following year with a PLC course under your belt.

With no intention of appearing condescending, UCC will probably wonder if you may drop out again. By attending a PLC you will alleviate this fear and will, I feel be decidely better equipped to cope with degree level.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Thanks for the replies! I've applied anyway and I'll be sitting the msap so I'll keep everyone updated on my journey! I also would like to thank larianne for all the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

Well i just want to wish you luck!

And also mention that last year i was in the same position as you are now. I wanted to apply for Occupational Therapy but thought i will never get in, it is only offerred in three universities in ireland and in total the places that are available each year are 90, thats split between 3 universities. And then to top it off Cork UCC has 25 places on occupational therapy 5 of which are reserved for mature students. :rolleyes: and they wonder why there is a shortage.

I did have the experience, luckily, but where i felt i lacked was the study side, assignments etc, and also being prepared to manage financially at college. So i chose not to do the cao application last year and not to embarrass myself. Instead i chose to start a pre-nursing plc course, which would give me 3 of the core modules of first year occ therapy at fetac level 5. I have to say i am loving my course, its the best decision i have ever made. I think it will look good on my application that i thought it through, planned to apply with fetac level 5 as a mature with work experience. I also did a patient handling and hygiene course, and an occupational first aid course this year. If you are unemployed these courses are free with fas and offerred in the evening. My plc course were very impressed that i did that. Every little bit helps.I definitely feel better about my application this year, i would feel comfortable doing assignments and confident about it, and hey ho i joined the library:eek: shock horror for me, but i love it and the library is just a need need need for assignments.

So if i were to give you advice. Apply to the cao, also go speak to fas, and also apply for a fetac level 5 course starting also in september too, to have a back up plan. I really hope you get in this year and i hope i am not putting you off, but i am just saying if you really want it cover all areas, show your interest and you will get there.

Good luck with your cao application!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Thanks very much Fiona! Well done on getting the course and best of luck with it!

My application is done and dusted so now all I can do is wait! I will definitely be doing a plc course if Im not succesful in getting in this year. I have my mind set so what ever happens I hope to be getting back into some form of education!

• Advertisement
Advertisement