Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton on Vincent Brown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

God you lot are all so sensitive.

I thought she came across passionately and strong enough not to be one who can be rolled over.

You clowns want it both ways - someone who's nice and mannerly BUT who won't get taken advantage of by European counterparts, or large corporations.

I'm not affiliated to any party and wont be in the country to vote, but still have to say the opinions expressed by people in this thread are shameful! "Oh she's a bully". Grow up FFS.

Joe Higgins might have all the nice answers but his policies are ridiculous. Simon was lovely, someone your mother would be happy for you to bring home, but would you want him negotiating on your behalf?

I would vote Joan Bruton. You can vote for a Jamie Redknapp type politician with all the right answers and a friendly face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Passionate <> Deranged

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

colsku wrote: »

I thought she came across passionately and strong enough not to be one who can be rolled over.

You clowns want it both ways - someone who's nice and mannerly BUT who won't get taken advantage of by European counterparts, or large corporations.

I'm not affiliated to any party and wont be in the country to vote, but still have to say the opinions expressed by people in this thread are shameful! "Oh she's a bully". Grow up FFS.

Joe Higgins might have all the nice answers but his policies are ridiculous. Simon was lovely, someone your mother would be happy for you to bring home, but would you want him negotiating on your behalf?

I would vote Joan Bruton. You can vote for a Jamie Redknapp type politician with all the right answers and a friendly face.

there is resolute and passionate

and then there is abrasive and petulant

Ms. Burton fell into the latter category yesterday, I'm afraid. She even tried to play the sexism card at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

11l6khf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

Colsku, there's a difference between assertive and just shouting for the sake of it. At times she wasn't coherent at all and just shouted out to be heard. That's not constructive at all.

Pearse Doherty, on the other hand, makes a point passionately and assertively and sticks to his principles. He walked out on the Finance Bill the other day. Whether you think it necessary or not you have admire the fact that he voted against the budget because of its unfairness in Decemeber and kept to that precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

Or maybe just someone who can do both, but knows when to be mannerly and when to play hardball? I see your point, but from my experience the kind of bluster and indiscriminate wailing on display last night gets you precisely nowhere fast in business or elsewhere. Sure, it might intimidate people now and again but soon enough people just learn to stop returning your calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

another clip of her embarrassing herself last night:

The most interesting thing ( politically ) was that she was adamant under questioning that Gilmore said one thing on the Late Late (beginning of this clip below ) and when Vincent got the transcript of the Late Late at 6-8 minutes in and read it out to her she tried to rant her way out of it knowing she was caught.

The rest of it is pure ignorance of the highest order :( At the end she smiled happily when she heard she was trending worldwide on twitter .....genuinely with no idea why I fear. :D No need to watch anything else, it is all in this 10 minute vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

All politicians are in it for the money "simon is lovely" will you go and ask my arse...No politician in this country is in it because they love politics if this was the case then they would do it for free. Burton is an absolute cnut. When pushed on issues she wailed the same sentence over and over. Play it back and see how many times she said "We want a gov for jobs, small busnesses" or some variation on that. I reckon it was at least 5/7 times. No matter the question she started off with that.. She is a muppet of the highest calabre and although I dont support the bearded left it made the exmtreme left look competent and Coveny dittered too much .. If he is to repeesent FG he needs to be shaper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

the opinions expressed by people in this thread are shameful! "Oh she's a bully". Grow up FFS.

We all have our opinion.
    But she in my opinion she failed to answer in any meaningful way the questions put to her and instead concentrated her 'passion' in what was IMO sometimes vitriolic abuse of Joe Higgins.
    I for one am sick of slagging matches and politicians slating each other. The country is on its death bed and all she can come up with insults.
    Now is the time for the Labour to show us what it is made of.
    Decent policies that can be scrutinised and be backed up with figures or more empty policies/promises that has brought Irish politics to where it is.
    What I saw last night from a senior member of Labour only puts a greater fear into me for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Just saw the clip that a poster had embedded from last night show... Jesus. A while ago I said on here that I would post a picture of myself eating my own hat, while naked, if she ever became Finance Minister. If this is how she behaves among her colleagues, I'm certain that my hat is safer than ever and that no compromising photographs will indeed surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Passionate and strong?

Try petulant and sulky. Some of the stuff she was coming out with was completely childish and unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Thought Simon Coveney was good, no waffle - just very matter of fact and to the point.
    He has certainly secured my vote anyway in CSC.

Joe irritated me beyond belief.
    So much fcuking waffle and takes him an hour to make a point!

Moan let herself down very badly, but I have to admit, if I was sat there next to Joe, my blood would have been itchy.
    The thing that infuriates me most about Moan is her inability to answer a question, she just resorts to the same old strategy - either attack Fianna Failure or talk about labour reforming everything when they come to power without ever explaining how.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not easy viewing. Joan doesn't come out of this well.

Love the way the girl in the purple top down the end is smiling to herself and appears to be texting or cleaning her nails while the arguments rage on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

All I can say is WOW. If this crop of politicians are the next leaders of the country we are in for more serious trouble.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'd be very reluctant to vote for labour ,mostly down to joan brutal.
    I couldn't afford to buy a new tv every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I'd be very reluctant to vote for labour ,mostly down to joan brutal.
    I couldn't afford to buy a new tv every week.
    Apart from her appearance and cringeworthy voice, what have you got against her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Voltwad wrote: »
    Apart from her appearance and cringeworthy voice, what have you got against her?
    Her insulting petulant immaturity? How much do you have to have "against" someone to know you don't like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dreenman

Just how drunk was Joan Burton last night?
    Tipsy? Merry? Hammered? ... or the full Cowan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Her insulting petulant immaturity? How much do you have to have "against" someone to know you don't like them?
    Politics is a dirty game sometimes. She didn't react well to the bullying tactics of Browne and she should have held her contempt for Higgins more intact. Last night shouldn't hide the facts though. She warned Lenihan about potentially bringing the IMF into Ireland in 2007. He laughed at her and dismissed her. Under her advice, Labour opposed the bank bailout as well.

All that has been learned from this is that Labour need to put Gilmore, Quinn and Rabbitte to the fore in order to handle the media. Politicians who are not media-savvy will be eaten alive over the next few weeks, hence Enda Kenny's hiding.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    All I can say is WOW. If this crop of politicians are the next leaders of the country we are in for more serious trouble.

Yes we are :(

Maybe if RTE did things like Vincent Browne more would be exposed and there would be a quicker turnaround....maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yes we are :(

Maybe if RTE did things like Vincent Browne more would be exposed and there would be a quicker turnaround....maybe not

But that implies that RTE would have to do their job and if theres one thing we know about RTE it's that they most certainly tow the Party line.

With clowns like this one on TV and now on the Internet I feel even emigration may not be an option as this SHAME will follow us everywhere.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

JRant wrote: »
    But that implies that RTE would have to do their job and if theres one thing we know about RTE it's that they most certainly tow the Party line.

With clowns like this one on TV and now on the Internet I feel even emigration may not be an option as this SHAME will follow us everywhere.

Yes indeed, I heard news of her had spread so far that even berlusconi now looked like a model statesperson. :rolleyes:

One bad interview by a mnister does not suddenly present a nation as a bunch of incompetents.

Joan Burton is Deputy Leader of the Labour Party and Finance spokesperson. Not just any old grunt. Seán Sherlock was much better on the Frontline....maybe make him Deputy Leader and Finance spokesperson instead.

At least Sherlock can handle Pearse Doherty where Burton would probably rant apoplectically at him given her suspect temperament and tenous grasp of her leaders words to Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭golfball37

She lost Labour 2 guaranteed 1st preferences in my house anyway. I'm sure that was replicated in a lot of homes?

The spoilt child attitude of her was an affront to Irish manners let alone politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

golfball37 wrote: »
    She lost Labour 2 guaranteed 1st preferences in my house anyway. I'm sure that was replicated in a lot of homes?

The spoilt child attitude of her was an affront to Irish manners let alone politics.

You're changing your vote on the basis of one terrible interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I saw a few minutes of the programme, and thought Burton's performance looked appalling. But I was reminded of an acute comment that I heard on radio at the weekend: Joe Higgins could get under the skin of an armadillo.

[Sorry that I cannot give due credit: I forget who said it.]

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

Look folks, the subplot to all this is that Labour are terrified ot the left sneaking up on them, and FG doing well enough to go into gov with anyone else. (say fg get 70+ seats, it opens up a whole range of possibilities)

Therefore they feel they have to demonise the lefties (ragbag via shortall etc).
    It now seems that the pendulum might be swinging towards FG, and EK seeing this has played his cards very well (also his monc in the taoiseach as opposed to labours monc in the gov was telling).

Keeping his tactics "well timed and well judged":D just might get them close to an overall majority, and as "taoiseach Gilmore" fades they just might drop a few clangers like this. With what they thought was victory in sight they are starting to get insecure, but thankfully FFs implosion might soften the potential damage to them.

It's still all to play for, but they need to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Watched most of VB last night. Burton was terrible. I hate it when politicans talk over each other on shows like VB. But I do not think I have ever seen it as bad as Joan Burton last night. Every time Higgins opened his mouth for a while, she immediately interupted him. Then she shut up for about 5 minutes and I was relieved. Then she asked could she get in as she hadnt said anything for over 10 minutes and started on with the same **** again. I dont think people should not vote for labour just based on last night though - they need to make the decision based on much more than last night.

I actually thought Coveney was quite good for the most part, except when he was asked why should the tax payer take some of the burden. Vinny B wasnt letting him off lightly there. And Coveney was very stumped - He hadnt prepared for that question at all which was a bit strange...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

@InchicoreDude
    I actually thought Coveney was quite good for the most part, except when he was asked why should the tax payer take some of the burden. Vinny B wasnt letting him off lightly there. And Coveney was very stumped - He hadnt prepared for that question at all which was a bit strange...

I think Covney was stumped because Browne was harping on about the morality of the guarantee. Covney was probably a little bit puzzled because whilst the morality of it makes for a good polemic, its not realpolitick.

The reason why the banks problems are the problems of the Irish people is the Irish people elected Fianna Fail and the Greens to make decisions on their behalf, and FF/Greens chose to take on all the losses of the banks and their speculators. FF/Greens werent some random bunch - they were put in power by the Irish people in free and fair elections.

The Irish people elected and backed a bunch of clowns based on their profile in the locality, or their proficiency at sorting out local problems. They didnt value national politicial skills other than backstabbing and jeering. If you vote in eejits, dont be surprised when you get awful decisions.

That people are credibly considering voting for hard left/provos candidates on the basis of some sort of spite/anger/toys of out pram nonsense shows many in the Irish electorate have learnt nothing.

As for Joan Burton - she and Gilmore are 2 of the worst examples of vaccuous non-politicians in the country. Her performance last night was woeful, but then it always is - no facts, no policies, no honesty: just blather. All she added last night was a bit of shouting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement