Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton on Vincent Brown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Labour don't want to win the election. If they did, they would send out Gilmore and Rabbitte to television debates and not Burton. The fact that she suggested Joe Higgins was a sexist was the last act of desperately immature and vague performance.

Before anyone says that Rabbitte was on Prime Time last night or Vincent Browne two months ago, RTÉ don't have Browne and people want to see the leaders of the party close to elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

FG policies are more draconian than FF but basically the same party with generally the same ideals.FF results:IMF/EU running the country,almost HALF a million signing on(in some shape or form),BILLIONS of TAX handed to bankrupt companies/banks,approx 1000 Irish people leaving every WEEK!!!!!!defunct banks allowed to give out bouses,no recruitment of police,teachers,nurses,doctors etc for the past two years.I can tell you that most police,teachers ,nurses etc dont make anything near 40 grand for the first ten years of service.You say FG/FF are trying to cut back middle management in public service????They have done absolutely nothing only allowed normal retirements to go as usual.Middle management is the cancer of the public service,its the front line people that Labour want to protect,hence my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

fliball123 wrote: »
    Are TDS not part of the PS there fore core pay cannot be touched under the CPA..

Where did I say that Labour are not supporting the Finance Bill.

But the fact is that they did originally oppose it but now they are supporting it. Talk about a complete uturn

They did not support it they voted against it, as it was proposed!

Does continuing with the CPA stop the governemnt from reducing ministers salaries?

tweedledee wrote: »
    Reading the posts here just explains why soo many people in Ireland will still vote for FF or FG(same as FF,just different letter).All the two-faced,clean shaven people in very expensive suits who ruined the country by stealing,cheating and bluffing the Nation for TEN(recently) years,who rarely say anything close to the truth and show no pride or passion seem to have great appeal to the politically inept Irish people.Although Burton does come accross as a bit nuts and loud,she is actually very qualified in the finacial sector and I honestly like her passion.She takes no bull from anyone,including a **** stirrer like Browne.Look at Harney,Coughlan and Hanafin,rarely a beep out of any of them but when they did speak it was utter garbage,and they all made a mess of their portfolios.YES Joan Burton is nuts but we need big change so she gets my vote.

FG and FF aren't the same. That's a lazy opinion to have. FG have traditionally had far more honour when dealing with corruption within the party. Labour are helping to fast track the Finance Bill, don't forget.

Richard Bruton could do a far better job in Finance than Burton.

Vincent Browne over any other political commentator or analyst on Irish television anyday... unless we can get Paxman in, that isn't going to change any time soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Yes she is a bit nuts and loud,but very qualified to "do the books".Shes a breath of fresh air to the secretive,dull,inept performances of the past decade.Shes a woman in a mans world.When Cowan shouted EVERYBODY down on every platform,people said he was tough,a great debater,a great leader!!!!!!!!!!!For reason people supported him???????

• Advertisement

Labour are helping to fast track the Finance Bill, don't forget.

How so and in what way are they doing things differently to FG at the present time?

Was there not a FG representative at the meeting at the weekend just gone who also agreed to this fast tracking of the Finance bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

tweedledee wrote: »
    Yes she is a bit nuts and loud,but very qualified to "do the books".Shes a breath of fresh air to the secretive,dull,inept performances of the past decade.Shes a woman in a mans world.When Cowan shouted EVERYBODY down on every platform,people said he was tough,a great debater,a great leader!!!!!!!!!!!For reason people supported him???????

Couldnt diagree more you make less sense than Joan did the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

They did not support it they voted against it, as it was proposed!

Does continuing with the CPA stop the governemnt from reducing ministers salaries?

Well thats what a hatfull of them have said that they cannot be touched under CPA but I aggree it doesnt stop them but alot of them are hidding under this

How so and in what way are they doing things differently to FG at the present time?

Was there not a FG representative at the meeting at the weekend just gone who also agreed to this fast tracking of the Finance bill?

In fairness do FG never hid away from the fact that they were supporting it..Labour did and are now rushing it through the dail so a complete uturn for labour

Well thats what a hatfull of them have said that they cannot be touched under CPA but I aggree it doesnt stop them but alot of them are hidding under this

So your making assumptions about labours intentions with regards to ministers pay?

• Advertisement

I was replying to a point which described FF and FG as being the same thing, just with one letter different. I replied that Labour are in the same boat as FF and FG, pushing through FF/IMF/EU legislation quickly. Gilmore told Tubridy that he would not be in a position to change the Bill after it went through. Why do people tarnish FG with the FF brush but not do the same to Labour?

So your making assumptions about labours intentions with regards to ministers pay?

What assumptions some on the Vinny browne show have said it that they cannot touch the pay. As I said some are hidding under this guise. Not saying all but some

In fairness do FG never hid away from the fact that they were supporting it..Labour did and are now rushing it through the dail so a complete uturn for labour

FG did not support it they also voted against it as it was proposed.

Im sorry where are labour hiding the fact they support something they just voted against, Im confused!

Are you confusing the fact that both parties agreed to allow the finance bill to go before the dail with actually voting for the bill?

What assumptions some on the Vinny browne show have said it that they cannot touch the pay. As I said some are hidding under this guise. Not saying all but some

No that does not mean they cannot introduce a ministerial levy!

I very much doubt that TD's would take a legal challange should the standing government choose to cut ministerial pay, wouldnt that be political suicide both for the party and the individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was Hilarious stuff, normally Joe Higgins manages to rile opponents but in this case Burton just seems to have lost the plot. I never rated her as a good politician and at times seems clueless. Not entirely sure how she got into the high profile position she is in. She often reminds me of Mavis in coronation street. Mad and surreal stuff to watch but amusing none the less!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

golfball37 wrote: »
    I don't know of any other politician in this state who went to jail for his constituents on a point of principle, like he did over the bin trucks.

Half of the FF front bench should be in jail for valid reasons yet they won't even give up their pensions on principles?

If your gonna blacken somebody as irrelevent try keep some modicum of perspective anyway...

I'm familar with this particular episode.... what did it accomplish in the end?

FG did not support it they also voted against it as it was proposed.

Im sorry where are labour hiding the fact they support something they just voted against, Im confused!

Are you confusing the fact that both parties agreed to allow the finance bill to go before the dail with actually voting for the bill?

labour where the only main party b4 xmas to vote against the finance bill now they are pushing it through WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Well since he's never been in government it'd be a big harsh to judge him on his accomplishments in Ireland I guess. Quite easy to judge FF, GP, FG and Lab on their atrocious policies mind you as they've destroyed or facilitated the destruction of Ireland as a viable economic entity.

Sorry he's been an MEP for while now, what has he done? I don't see how it's "quite easy" to judge the "atrocious policies" of Fine Gael or Labour, they didn't bring this country to economic collapse. Their alternatives, and they proposed many in opposition, were ignored by Fianna Fáil. So you say it's wrong to expect Joe Higgins to have accomplished anything but it's quite all right to criticize Fine gale and Labour when they haven't been in power? Just a bit of hypocrisy there don't you think?

Sorry but the truth is Joe Higgins is irrelevant and has accomplished very little for his constituents.

He did help expose that GAMA Endustri, a Turkish construction firm working in Ireland, had been secreting up to €30 million in Turkish workers' wages but these are more the effective actions of an investigative journalist, not a TD.

All he is a poster boy for Irish communists who's ideology has been proven time and time again to be a failure. I'm not saying capitalism is a better solution but that a centrist approach is the best option we have now.

labour where the only party b4 xmas to vote against the finance bill now they are pushing it through WHY?

Right, and they voted against todays bill too! :confused:

Sorry how did Labour push through this bill?
    Their support was vital as Fianna Fail lead a minority Government. The coalition fell apart at the weekend after the Greens withdrew from power but said they were committed to voting in favour of the Finance Bill.

The electronic vote in the Dail revealed the Government won by two votes - 80 in favour and 78 against.

But opposition party Fine Gael called for a "walk through" vote in the Dail to force TDs to openly declare for or against.

The walk through, which is the official record, showed a Government victory by three votes, 80 to 77, after independent Mattie McGrath abstained.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/finance-bill-clears-first-hurdle-2512038.html

Right, and they voted against todays bill too! :confused:

Sorry how did Labour push through this bill?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/finance-bill-clears-first-hurdle-2512038.html

They have aggreed with FF to push it through have you not been following this Moan burton and Gilmore have been getting a lashing on newstalk as we type about it

They are saying they are still against it yet they have aggreed to push it through. It is in the dail as we speak

• Advertisement

They have aggreed with FF to push it through have you not been following this Moan burton and Gilmore have been getting a lashing on newstalk as we type about it

They are saying they are still against it yet they have aggreed to push it through. It is in the dail as we speak

All the parties except Sinn Fein, so FF, FG, Labour and the greens agreed to speed the process of a bill going through the dail and the seanad by clearing all other business and dealing with this alone!

Your continued posting of one parties name as doing this is very misleading, and clearly points to you having an agenda against Labour.

Labour oppossed the vote on the finance bill in the dail, it passed that stage because the green party and the independants lowry and healy rae supported the minority governments proposal.
    Had it been rejected it could have been repropossed with amendments.

All parties i named above have agreed that certain elements of the bill are needed to meet our requirements under the EU/IMF Loan but this does not mean Labour supported the bill as it has been passed.

Labour are not pushing this through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The outcome of all this rush through exercise is an election a whole two weeks earlier than originally declared and bragging rights about who brought about the election.

Pure electoral politics and I think both Labour and FG have introduced a cross for their backs over the next four weeks.

All the parties except Sinn Fein, so FF, FG, Labour and the greens agreed to speed the process of a bill going through the dail and the seanad by clearing all other business and dealing with this alone!

Your continued posting of one parties name as doing this is very misleading, and clearly points to you having an agenda against Labour.

Labour oppossed the vote on the finance bill in the dail, it passed that stage because the green party and the independants lowry and healy rae supported the minority governments proposal.
    Had it been rejected it could have been repropossed with amendments.

All parties i named above have agreed that certain elements of the bill are needed to meet our requirements under the EU/IMF Loan but this does not mean Labour supported the bill as it has been passed.

Labour are not pushing this through!

Well proof in the pudding it will come out if labour facilitated this bill

Well proof in the pudding it will come out if labour facilitated this bill

You mean fine gael, labour and the Greens facilitated this and Sinn Fein oppossed it entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

As far as Burton goes, the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yes indeed, I heard news of her had spread so far that even berlusconi now looked like a model statesperson. :rolleyes:

One bad interview by a mnister does not suddenly present a nation as a bunch of incompetents.

Well she's not a Minister for a start. If there was only one of these gombeens around you may well have had a point, however this along with Golf-gate, cowen being drunk on radio and many many other examples then yes there is a SHAME following the Irish around because of these sc*mbags.;)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Get Ruari Quinn up and consign Joan to the backbenches

Just saw it trending there on youtube so it's gone global
    People don't take to loudmouthed bullies

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Joan is Mavis's long lost sister!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JWZZSSz-qmU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And people are telling me not to vote for SF ? Should I vote for Joan Burton for finance minister then as an allternative ?

No thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I had two labour canvassers and one labour candidate to the door earlier and I asked them about this. They all admitted that this wasn't Joans best performance but they blamed Vincent for haranguing her last year (or something :D)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement