Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton on Vincent Brown

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Joe1919 wrote: »
    I see Labour is down 11 points according to Sunday Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fg-despite-enda-may-form-government-alone-2516785.html

Yes, just read that, I doubt Joan's performance is helping. In addition i think people are seeing red over the parties cosy arrangement to permit the finance bill pass in order to conveniently pass the book after the next election. I for one am very disappointed with both FG & Labour, is it just going to be more of the same one wonders!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Joe1919 wrote: »
    I see Labour is down 11 points according to Sunday Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fg-despite-enda-may-form-government-alone-2516785.html
    It is ,if you believe the one and only poll that had it up 11 points..
    paper
    Ink
    no refusal
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To the backbenches so

Move somebody else up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

111q87s.jpg

The man in the photo is Joan's stunt double. :P
    Bad idea to start a war with Vincent, he's one intelligent man. Labour need to sort out the 'Joan problem'.

"Thou shall not question Stephen Fry. . . . . . . . . or Vincent Brown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

Joan has proved herself to be the ultimate tool this week.

She blames Vincent for the ridiculous things she was saying. She was aggressive and stupid at times. It was cringe!

I've decided not to give Lab a vote on the back of that interview. Not just because of how she behaved but also the way she defended the Universal Tax and proved Lab not to be so left wing. They are very much central. The only real alternative party I can see on the left is Sinn Féin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Feeona wrote: »
    She was harangued at the start by Vincent Browne, but then she spent the rest of the time haranguing Joe Higgins. What an eejit. Well done to Joe Higgins for keeping his cool.

I saw Joe Higgins smile for the first time since he was 5 years old.
    It was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laoisman67

alan85 wrote: »

The only real alternative party I can see on the left is Sinn Féin.

And if any party is capable of sorting out the banks its them:eek:

Read article in MOS - Joan just cant button it and the article is jsut a further extension of her whining. 'I wouldn't say it was my best performace' she says. When you have a nervous breakdown on live tv its never is...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

I'm a member of the Labour Party. I know Joan Burton. I know her as someone who works extremely hard to advocate Labour Party policy and from talking with her and with other politicians of all parties over my time involved in politics, she's very considerably less egotistical than most of them.
    She will always talk with you and always engage. She is really nice and hugely knowledgable.

Since you know Joan that well, you might tell us about Pat Carroll and how she shafted him in Dublin Central a few years back. Or you might tell us how she shafted David Thornley and Griff Cashman a few years back.

I know Joan too. Ask her about her Stoneybatter days ??????
    A very capable girl no question but if EVER there was a career politician who would hang anyone for position and power Joan is it

The outing on Vincent Browne wasn't good but in all fairness to her, she is the Finance spokesperson, she was working long hours over the weekend, and was tired when she was on the show. Being interrupted didn't help. She lost her temper. She's human. Big deal

So when Cowan has a few pints after working hard and turn up with a hangover its sackable offence according to Joan. But when Joan has a hissy fit because of work pressure we have to forgive her. BL who is the current MOF in fairness under severe pressure both health wise and work wise. To be fair I never saw him remotely behave like Joan did.
    I have watched the show today and I have to say the reaction I've seen online is over the top.

So all in all, consider the circumstances - she was tired, constantly interrupted by Vincent Browne, and was debating with a constituency rival, Joe Higgins. In fact, I'd guess she was invited onto the show in the hope that there'd be fireworks.

If the heat of the kitchen is too much, then leave the kitchen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The immediate playing of the "sexism" card was shameful and derogatory to women who genuinely experience it. I didnt see or hear anything sexist. Did anyone else?

In fact VB treated her as he has treated every one else on the show, man or woman but poor Joan is being harangued by the nasty men.... aww diddums. Wait till she has to deal with Berlusconi. :rolleyes:

I wonder if those IMF *men* will be as bastardly to her when Lab goes to renegotiate the loans. I hope they dont harangue her or interrupt her or the poor dear will have another fit. She's a disgrace to all previous female politicians in Ireland, I dont remember Mary Robinson playing the sexism card like that.
    Politics is cuthroat Joan, for men and for women alike.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 challenges

Joan was an embarrassment to women, and if she ever gets to Europe she will make a show of the Irish!! Christ!! As if our reputation isnt bad enough!
    Its a long time since we have seen such a power hungry, vicious, arrogant and dangerous politician !! God help us if Labour gets in ...they will take every cent of our disposable and non-disposable income!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

111q87s.jpg

The man in the photo is Joan's stunt double. :P
    Bad idea to start a war with Vincent, he's one intelligent man. Labour need to sort out the 'Joan problem'.

"Thou shall not question Stephen Fry. . . . . . . . . or Vincent Brown"

Do you know who is the one on the left?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

DeVore wrote: »
    The immediate playing of the "sexism" card was shameful and derogatory to women who genuinely experience it. I didnt see or hear anything sexist. Did anyone else?

I wonder if those IMF *men* will be as bastardly to her when Lab goes to renegotiate the loans. I hope they dont harangue her or interrupt her or the poor dear will have another fit. She's a disgrace to all previous female politicians in Ireland, I dont remember Mary Robinson playing the sexism card like that.
    Politics is cuthroat Joan, for men and for women alike.

and it isn't the first time:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70366839&postcount=245

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

ISAW wrote: »
    Do you know who is the one on the left?

Catherine Heaney, Chairwoman of Women’s Aid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52718848@N00/sets/72157622789323379/detail/

Taken from here, there's a photo of a fat-headed Dan Boyle, the man is well fed anyway. He doesn't look 'environmentally friendly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Taken from here, there's a photo of a fat-headed Dan Boyle, the man is well fed anyway. He doesn't look 'environmentally friendly'.

There's no need for that kind of comment. The physical being of a politician is irrelevent. Politics is meant to be a serious-ish forum, and the discussion should reflect that.

/mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Joan Burton Minister For Social Protection that has to be the most misleading department name in the history of this state after Budget 2012. Take my advice traitor Burton join the Blueshirts just like Dimples O'Leary did. The Labour Party has lost all credibility as they have Enda's arse licked clean. What party will Gilmore join next he has jumped ship a few times he'd probably be viewed as two right wing for Fianna Fail I know the Ulster Unionist Party would suit him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Joan Burton Minister For Social Protection that has to be the most misleading department name in the history of this state after Budget 2012. Take my advice traitor Burton join the Blueshirts just like Dimples O'Leary did. The Labour Party has lost all credibility as they have Enda's arse licked clean. What party will Gilmore join next he has jumped ship a few times he'd probably be viewed as two right wing for Fianna Fail I know the Ulster Unionist Party would suit him.

To be fair, Fine Gael made concessions when entering into a coalition and so have Labour. Areas needed to be cut in her department so where would you expect her to make the savings? Tough calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

mccarthy37 wrote: »

MOD NOTE:

A few points:

1. Don't resurrect zombie threads - this one is almost two years old. If you find an old thread on a topic that interests you, just start a new thread.

2. That said, this would be a completely inappropriate OP for this forum, and frankly is not even the kind of post that we want to see here. Please read the charter before posting here again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement