Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aluminum rifle gun case

• 25-01-2011 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi anybody know where to get the an Aluminum rifle gun case about 44-54 inchs long for cheap enough, cant seem to find any under 100 euro and if i do find any under 100 euro delivery costs about 50-60 euro.Can anyone help please thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=38&Itemid=26

these do some nice ones. Can lock them too. Can't tell ya what shipping would be though. i Think the max they charge is 18quid regardless of size/weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,752 ✭✭✭DeBurca

South East Airsoft do a variety of cases here, at least one of them should suit your needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Cheers lads for taking the time to reply and thanks for the recommendations.
    Also deburca sorry still thinking about them mags, heading to cope hill down in april and i got aload of stuff to get and pay for first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

AirsoftEire have free shipping until the end of the month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

darman28 wrote: »
    Hi anybody know where to get the an Aluminum rifle gun case about 44-54 inchs long for cheap enough, cant seem to find any under 100 euro and if i do find any under 100 euro delivery costs about 50-60 euro.Can anyone help please thanks

Why are you after an aluminium case specifically? If you envisage using it for air-travel, I would really recommend against it and suggest you go for a plastic-derivative case instead.

Why?

Besides the whole metal > plastic = higher weight therefore possible airline weight charges, the plastic bodies have more 'give' in them and less likely to break so easily. I've seen several metal cases go through flights (both mine & others) for airsoft and to my recollection, about every single one of them has been damaged in some way; one of them significantly so.

Also, lots of the "metal" cases tend not to be quite so much metal as underlying wood flat surfaces around a metal frame and/or light skin.

All of the above applies to air-travel only.

If you're just concerned with travelling about by car/foot and storage, a padded soft-bag will do just as well, unless you have some need to store in a specific manner.

Edit: Looking at the links provided, I have one of those same "aluminium" aluminium-frame-with-lots-of-wood cases (identical by the looks of it). It didn't survive its first flight unscathed without lasting damage to one of those awful, awful combo-locks. And that was just Dublin to South-Hampton. Do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy a case with a combo-lock. If they break, then you have to bust them open and then the case is next to useless. Something that can have the lock removed is much, much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

To echo what Lemming has said, all of our aircraft engine parts in my job are shipped in plastic flight cases. Custom made for the job (ATA restrictions), but really not dissimilar in size, weight or shape to a Peli or Storm case.
    Metal cases are frowned upon for uses in transport (ground or air) because they're usually heavier, less secure and less robust. Give a metal case a bit of a kick and look at the damage you'll leave, at least a dent. Do the same to a plastic one and you might dirty it a bit, but the material resists damage.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Metal cases are frowned upon for uses in transport (ground or air) because they're usually heavier, less secure and less robust. Give a metal case a bit of a kick and look at the damage you'll leave, at least a dent. Do the same to a plastic one and you might dirty it a bit, but the material resists damage.

Take a look at some of the slow-motion 'test' videos for storm-cases (I'm sure peli have similar) where they drop them from a height. You can see the impact 'ripple' across the entire surface of the case, spreading the force of the impact across the case rather than a single point (e.g. kicking a metal case).

Obviously different cases come with different quality of materials, so whilst the above is true of Storm/Peli cases and others comparible, I wouldn't expect a €50 ABS case from maplins (to make an obvious example for argument) to similar harsh treatment.

I'd think about what I may need the case to do and whether or not there are events overseas that I'd like to attend and would involve air-travel or the potential for having a case tossed around like a rag-doll. The aforementioned cases are expensive, but in the long-run they are an investment (and tend to come with life-time guaruantees anyway).

I'm not suggest that everyone go out and buy such a case for the sake of it. If you can get a €50 soft case or ABS case that matches your needs then it's a better choice than €250+ cases. Just be aware of the limitations your choice imposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I have several ATA grade cases, a Peli and a copy of the Peli I got in Maplin. The ATA cases are just being used for storage, but the Peli case has seen my camera gear through some rather serious situations.
    The Maplin copy was about a quarter of the price and bought out of curiosity of performance. It's not a bad case, but it doesn't seal perfectly for water tightness and I wouldn't trust it for travel. It has it's uses, but you get what you pay for.

Cheers lads for advise, I think u sold me on a plastic rifle gun case because i want something that will last a good few years and protect my aegs when transporting even to my local site.I am thinking of going for the Plano gunguard 10586 that holds 2 rifles.What do u think
    http://www.airshooter.co.uk/acatalog/Rifle_Cases_Slips.html

Cheers lads for advise, I think u sold me on a plastic rifle gun case because i want something that will last a good few years and protect my aegs when transporting even to my local site.I am thinking of going for the Plano gunguard 10586 that holds 2 rifles.What do u think
    http://www.airshooter.co.uk/acatalog/Rifle_Cases_Slips.html

No idea of quality, but if it's just for storage and transporting to local sites I'm sure it's fine. A padded soft case would do just as well I should imagine.

• Advertisement

Hi lads would there be any chance u could post some links where to get a good airline rifle gun case that can hold two AEGs and not over priced please cheers.I thought of getting any old case for heading to senny in april but we are heading to the european continant to play in afew months so I will need an airline case anyway.

Opsgear

Even with shipping and import duty it'll cost less than sourcing in Europe.

Cheers lemming for that, they sure are pricey and delivery on top but thats for quality and life time guarantteed.Will have to see if the budget can efford it.Could i ask one more thing please? I was looking that this case for a plan b if the funds dont add up for the opsgear, what do u make of them.100 euro down in a shop in galway
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280552743024&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers lemming for that, they sure are pricey and delivery on top but thats for quality and life time guarantteed.Will have to see if the budget can efford it.Could i ask one more thing please? I was looking that this case for a plan b if the funds dont add up for the opsgear, what do u make of them.100 euro down in a shop in galway
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280552743024&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Enjoy the read.

Several very worrying comments regarding quality of construction & specifically one to do with being flight approved when it will fail rudimentary TSA requirements (we don't have to worry about TSA as it's USA-specific but you get the idea)

Hi lads I dont know if u all know but peli have a distributor in ireland if anyone is interested http://www.peli.ie/

I have to say thanks to lemming for recommending the airline gun cases u did, Just got one and they are real high quality with a lifetime warranty, U cant go wrong with that.Didnt go with opsgear but went with peli.ie just to keep it Irish.Thanks again dude

Advertisement