Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytime flights from US to Europe?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Howdy,

I do a bit of travelling from the US home to Irl and the jet lag on my last trip kicked my arse so badly! It might have been en exceptionally bad flight (Xmas) but I really dont want to suffer that badly again,I just cant seem to sleep.

Does anyone know of any flights from any East coast airport that might arrrive into anywhere in Europe before nightime (i.e. not 7am into Shannon!!!). I wouldnt mind staying in a hotel in say somehwere like paris if it meant a full night of sleep and daytime flights.

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

BA Bos Lhr 0815 1940
    AC Yyz Lhr 0820 2030
    AA Jfk Lhr 0825 2025
    AA Ord Lhr 0905 2245
    CO Ewr Lhr 0900 2120
    UA Iad Lhr 0943 2200

I'm sure there are more. Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

You are a star :pac: I tried Google but all I got were people bemoaning the fact there were no daytime transatlantic flights. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Or, you could try the old sleeping pill and glass of red wine routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I know British Airways have a few daytime flights from JFK to LHR.

Good idea but the problem is that you'll probably end up losing a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

dave2pvd wrote: »

I hear that Kirk Cobain and Sid Vicious were both big fans of this while flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

FatherTed wrote: »
    I know British Airways have a few daytime flights from JFK to LHR.

Good idea but the problem is that you'll probably end up losing a day.

To me its not like losing a day though, because when I have the jet lag Im sleeping til 2pm and awake till 3am so I loose at least 2 days when I arrive due to unsocialble hours!
    dave2pvd wrote: »

Im not sure about the pills because I want to have my wits about me in an emergency situation. The booze I should maybe try. I did the whole 'go out on the lash and dont sleep the night before' the flight at Christmas and I still couldnt sleep so it meant I was down two nights sleep when I got home! But that was a particularly bad/eventful flight...

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I hear that Kirk Cobain and Sid Vicious were both big fans of this while flying.

Yep. Sleeping pills are pretty hardcore. Not to mention the red wine.

Antihistamine. Naturally occurring in your body anyway. Let it occur a bit more...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

boarddotie wrote: »
    Howdy,

I do a bit of travelling from the US home to Irl and the jet lag on my last trip kicked my arse so badly! It might have been en exceptionally bad flight (Xmas) but I really dont want to suffer that badly again,I just cant seem to sleep.

Does anyone know of any flights from any East coast airport that might arrrive into anywhere in Europe before nightime (i.e. not 7am into Shannon!!!). I wouldnt mind staying in a hotel in say somehwere like paris if it meant a full night of sleep and daytime flights.

Thanks!

I always found west to east not to be to that bad.
    Try and get as much sleep on the flight as possible,
    When you wake up to land its morning!
    Then try to stay up as long as possible that day,
    if you can stay up until your normal bedtime even better.
    Good nights sleep and body well on its way to normal.

It's also better to stay off the wine and pills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I've never had a problem flying from the US to Ireland on an overnight flight. In fact I think it's the best way. Get a flight late in the evening, have your snack, sleep 5 or 6 hours, have your breakfast and arrive in ireland in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I've never had a problem flying from the US to Ireland on an overnight flight. In fact I think it's the best way. Get a flight late in the evening, have your snack, sleep 5 or 6 hours, have your breakfast and arrive in ireland in the morning.

I like to ramp myself up for a few nights before I travel back i.e. I usually travel JFK-SNN on a Friday. Normally during the work week I hit the sack around 11pm but starting on the Wednesday, I'll go to bed at 10pm and on Thursday at 9pm, setting the alarm for an hour earlier in the mornings. I don't get a lot of sleep on the plane, maybe 4 hours but I'm usually in good shape on Saturday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement