Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fry in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

GALWAY ARMS MILLSTREET nothing more to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Lynch's Cafe, Shop Street is my favourite. They sell Colleran's pudding which is very tasty and it is not expensive.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hey some mates coming to Galway for a weekend and they are wondering about a few thinks, since I used to be a student and now dont drink I haven't got much experience of recovery fry ups in town. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

The Trappers Inn on the Tuam road makes a beast of a fry up , you can also get omelettes in there with whatever you want inside them - my personal fav being bacon, sausage & tomato!

In town itself i liked Finnegans (across the road from City Tribune) , huge portions in there so you wouldnt leave hungry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Homeplate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wouldnt go near Finnegans or its sister restaurant Riordans, serving up manky 'Irish' food to tourists. Had bad food in both on more than one occasion and will never be back.
    Kellys on Bridge St is good, Revive Cafe on Eyre St do great breakfast options from Scrambled Egg with Bacon and cheese, Frys, Breakfast Ciabatta etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The big breakfast in The Cellar. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

City centre the Galway Arms on Dominick St would be my suggestion

Has to be Feeneys in Salthill also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Finnegans, hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

homeplate, the cellar bar, jalapenos or freeney's cafe out in salthill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd go Trappers Inn or the Homeplate if ye're in town already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

table talk in parkmore om nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

The Royal Rock in ballybane gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Ok now i am seriously hungry!!! lol Trappers sounds good to me but do they do an "all day" breakie or does anyone know where does a good one and please dont mention finnegans - havent heard good reports of food in there!

karen89 wrote: »
    Ok now i am seriously hungry!!! lol Trappers sounds good to me but do they do an "all day" breakie or does anyone know where does a good one and please dont mention finnegans - havent heard good reports of food in there!
    Whatever you do,do not go to Finnegans, please you will only waste your money. Its muck, i hate how they serve up tasteless 'Irish' slop to tourists and thats how we come across.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Garveys do a nice brekie for 8 Eur pretty decent as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Fibbers in eyre square. Big and tasty

Garveys do a nice brekie for 8 Eur pretty decent as well
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wouldnt go near Finnegans or its sister restaurant Riordans, serving up manky 'Irish' food to tourists. Had bad food in both on more than one occasion and will never be back.
    Whatever you do,do not go to Finnegans, please you will only waste your money. Its muck, i hate how they serve up tasteless 'Irish' slop to tourists and thats how we come across.
    Everyone, please feel free to mention good places but keep the negative comments for some other site.
    "If you have nothing good to say..."

biko wrote: »
    Everyone, please feel free to mention good places but keep the negative comments for some other site.
    "If you have nothing good to say..."
    Fair enough but its just an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

shouldnt you be able to warn others of bad service/ food also ?

without slandering the place like,seems only fair to me.

anyway, i was in table talk earlier today.. after singing its praises earlier on the thread i can say today it was rank,

7.95 tho and you get plenty, the beans were hard and rashers undercooked today :(

This is not directed at ben.schlomo nor anyone in particular, just a reflection after seeing this so many times in the forums.

The problem is that so many people slag a place for all kinds of reasons.
    One bad review can mean others won't go there, even after whatever was wrong has been corrected.
    It's too common for people to not have the guts to speak to the manager about a problem they may have.
    Instead they go home and write the place down on internet forums.

How would you feel if your business was mentioned in this forum and some guy you never heard of was going on about how bad it was?

Remember that what you write here will last a long time. If someone googles the place in 5 years they'll read your comment here, but since then maybe the management/staff has changed once or twice.

And at the end of the day it's all opinions, the same place can get both bad and good reviews, then who should the reader trust?

Ok, that's my point of view as responsible for this forum.
    If anyone wants to discuss it further then start a thread in feedback, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

I too am a friends junkie, any time i am up in galway early, only thing on me mind is getting in for the fry up, would set any man rightly up for the day. Mouth is watering thinking about it.

Yeah Frends ftw :) Also sometimes they have meatballs for lunch, fantastic meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Eh, its a bit outside the city..but I reckon ya get the best fry in the arches hotel in claregalway, a fiver gets you pot of tea, few slices of toast and pretty much self service all-you-can-eat fry..(doesnt charge by the item!!) absolute bargain...served until 12 every day :)

Sounds like a good option if you're heading out of the city for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Frends FTW. That was until I tried the Arches last weekend. Tae, toast, brown bread, 6 sausages, 3 rashers, 2 eggs, 3 hash browns, White pudding and beans. For a fiver! Couldn't finish it, everything was delicious bar the rashers which weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

+1 on Frends.

Trisha's down by the backdoor of the Eyre Square Shopping Centre can be quite nice too and pretty cheap.. €6.50.

Damn you. Damn you all. Now I seriously want a fry.

Trisha's seems to have gone now and is replaced by something else. Haven't been in yet but will post when I check the breakfast.

Trisha's seems to have gone now and is replaced by something else. Haven't been in yet but will post when I check the breakfast.
    Its called Venice Cafe now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Massimos do a "Full irish" and a pint for €11.50 (pints can only be Guinness, Bulmers or Carlsberg)

Fry was okay but way too up its own hole. I love good food, I'd go as far as saying I'm quite 'cultured' when it comes to eating but a full irish is a full Irish and doesn't ever need to be pretentious. It was bout the size of a half/small breakfast in most other places, couple rashers, a sausage, 2 fried eggs on ciabatta (ffs), no beans iirc, 1 black pudding (no whjte) no mushrooms. Didn't even come with ketchup, so I asked and waited 10 minutes (had eaten most of it by now) before the silent waiter brought over the most ridiculous ketchup I've ever seen. It was in this minuscule little fancy bottle, about 4" tall, absolutely freezing cold, and not even ketchup! Some sort of homemade tomato sauce. Service was pretty poor too.

I get the impression the food offers they do on other days is probably very good so I will be back for that, but I would avoid this place for a breakfast. I guess if you actually fancy a pint with it then it's decent value. I was surprised there was no option for tea/coffee or anything though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement