Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

economic impact of the floods

Options
  • 25-01-2011 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

I’ve been following the devastation caused the floods.

What is the opinion on the ground on the affects the on the wider economy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I could not find a bag of spuds today for less than 6 Bucks....

We are all doomed

Insurance will go up

There is talk of a tax rise.

Food fruit & Veggies will go up for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

"Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?" Professor "Yes I would, Kent."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Levy of 0.5% for most people, apart from those affected by the flooding. Why are they getting away with it? Its like the property crises in Ireland all over again, in that the people who made silly decisions (by buying property in areas of constant flooding) get off scot free, while the rest of the country has to pick up the pieces and foot the bill. Fcuking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Levy of 0.5% for most people, apart from those affected by the flooding. Why are they getting away with it? Its like the property crises in Ireland all over again, in that the people who made silly decisions (by buying property in areas of constant flooding) get off scot free, while the rest of the country has to pick up the pieces and foot the bill. Fcuking disgrace.

In fairness, the CBD of Australia's 3rd largest city is in a flood prone spot. Also, Toowoomba is on top of a mountain. Some things were just outside people's control, though take the point for some lower lying residential areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Article from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0127/australia.html

It reads to me like a levy to offset the loss to GDP from the coal mines that cannot operate and the farmland lat will not produce anything this year or probably next year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The irksome part of a new tax is a few weeks ago many of us dug deep and gave to the appeal. Only less than a few weeks later they say we are going to take money of you anyway.

Its not that heavy a tax on my measley income it will be less than a cup of coffee a week.

Advertisement