Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I report domain registration spam mails?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

I got a spam email from someone at registerdomainservice.com saying that I need to send in my search engine registration for my domain - cost $75

Where can I report these chancers?
    Attn Damien Carbery

This letter is to inform you that it's time to send in your search engine registration for MYDOMAIN.COM.

Failure to complete your search engine registration by Feb 7, 2011 may result in the cancellation of this offer (making it difficult for your customers to locate you using search engines on the web).

Your registration includes search engine submission for MYDOMAIN.COM for 1 year. You are under no obligation to pay the amount stated above unless you accept this offer by Feb 7, 2011. This notice is not an invoice. It is a courtesy reminder to register MYDOMAIN.COM for search engine listing so that your customers can locate you on the web.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

daymobrew wrote: »
    I got a spam email from someone at registerdomainservice.com saying that I need to send in my search engine registration for my domain - cost $75

Where can I report these chancers?

This is just email spoofing as there is no domain registered to registerdomainservice.com used to trick people out by having a legit sounding name

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Report it to who you are buying your domain off I guess, or just email them back saying **** you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DrMorphine wrote: »
    This is just email spoofing as there is no domain registered to registerdomainservice.com used to trick people out by having a legit sounding name
    You're right. Unlike the letters that want you to transfer the domain to them for a silly fee, these guys are just spoofers.

I changed my WHOIS info so that my email address is no longer exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I like winding these guys up - it takes up their time to reply to each mail so I see it as a rewarding experience. Best way to do it is to appear completely insane.

Type really quickly in UPPERCASDE ANDE NEVER COERRECT ANY ERRORS YOU MAKE, ALSOE APPEAR TO BE RIGHT ON THE POIOPNT OF MAKING A PURCHASE TO KEEP THEM INTERESTED. ITS A SBGREAT WAY OF PASSING ANTY SPARE TIME YOU MIGHT HAVE AT WORJK. ITS ESPERCIALLY GOOD FUN WITH NIGERHTIAN SPAMMERS WHIO WILL PRETTY MUICH STOOP TO ANY LEVELS TO TRY GET A $ FROM YOU SO YOU CAN REALLY WIND THEM UOP.

Also throw in a few made up, ridiculously over-the-top parables from the bible;
    "ANS IT WA THE SEPRAPANT WHO BWELLOWED FROM THE BOWELS OF TEH DEDVIL. LUKE 3 CH.4"

Reporting them is completely pointless if they are outside Ireland so you may as well have some fun with them if the mood takes you.

There was a crowd in Ireland about 10 years ago sending confusing invoices to companies demanding money for search engine services or the likes, I reported them to the Garda Fraud Office who were well aware of them. Not sure if they ever did anything about them though.

Advertisement