Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer rights

Options
  • 25-01-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can someone please highlight the exact line where it says people are entitled to these massive warranties on products. Some of the things on this forum really pi55es me off. "Oh my tv is 5 years old and stopped working, oh thats the shops fault.." Would love to just see the hard copy of where it gives these remarks that shops and manufacturers are to blaim the whole time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It doesn't, as is constantly pointed out here. All products must be fit for the purpose they are sold for, and last a reasonable time. No specific time limits are mentioned for any product.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There isn't a hard copy to that effect. What you do know is this...

(a) Your contract of purchase is with the retailer. Therefore, that's where you go first.

(b) The law states that
    • Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    • Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    • Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

Now note the first two comments - they reference durability and what the item can be reasonably expected to do. There is no precise timeframe set out because you can't cover everything. Every case has to be assessed on it's own merits.

So, let's say it's 5 years after I purchase a TV - the question to be asked is "Is it reasonable that this TV should fail after 5 years? (assuming no unusual treatment i.e. normal usage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Yeah but thats your opinion. Unless a manufacturer states otherwise do you not have a 12 month warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Yeah but thats your opinion.

What exactly is my opinion? That statement is a bit vague to me.
    Unless a manufacturer states otherwise do you not have a 12 month warranty?

The warranty is offered by the manufacturer. It will vary from product to product. It is in addition to your statutory rights and does not supercede them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

The offer of a warranty does not remove your statutory rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yeah but thats your opinion. Unless a manufacturer states otherwise do you not have a 12 month warranty?
    What you are talking about is a manufacturers guarantee.

This is dealty with under the sale of goods act... 1980
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html#sec18
    Where it states that the guarantee cannot exclude or limit the rights of the buyer.

Its your opinion as to what is the amount of time?

I love the statitory rights, they're so vague!! The manufacturer has given you a warranty of 12 months, most places will give you the option to buy an extended warranty. Now what gives you the right to a new tv, if you are outside the warranty period, you were silly enough to not purchase extra cover, and now you're cribbing that a part has become faulty. Surely thats a case of tough sh1t.

Now I'm not sticking up for retailers but I have seen some ridiculous cases were a customer would come in with something that has developed a fault, they were talking to "the guy for the rights place" (this magic man) who has told them well you should expect to get x amount of years and you have a 6 year warranty, when in fact you don't.

I bought a laptop from dell for €600, it broke down after 2 years, Its not covered by warranty, accept it. I was sick i dint buy their extended warranty, but hey I learned a lesson and now buy it with evrything within reason, and its worth evry cent.

I just don't like the word "entitled", most people are clueless and basically take the pi55

The buyer and seller can try and negotiate first but if that fails then its ultimately a judge's decision.
    I love the statitory rights, they're so vague!! The manufacturer has given you a warranty of 12 months, most places will give you the option to buy an extended warranty. Now what gives you the right to a new tv, if you are outside the warranty period, you were silly enough to not purchase extra cover, and now you're cribbing that a part has become faulty. Surely thats a case of tough sh1t.
    Under law its not tough sh!t so thats all that matters no matter what people's opinions are. Basically people should expect things to be of proper quality (taking into account price and other relevant factors). If its not of that quality then its only fair for the seller to remedy the situation. You dont need insurance to guarantee you get what you paid for.
    Now I'm not sticking up for retailers but I have seen some ridiculous cases were a customer would come in with something that has developed a fault, they were talking to "the guy for the rights place" (this magic man) who has told them well you should expect to get x amount of years and you have a 6 year warranty, when in fact you don't.
    Many people think this is a blanket 6 year warranty which is incorrect. Misuse/abuse of a product means it would be very difficult to make a claim. It also depends on the price and other factors such as comparing to similiar goods etc. as to how long a product should last. The reason why there are no hard fast time lines is because every situation is completely different.
    I bought a laptop from dell for €600, it broke down after 2 years, Its not covered by warranty, accept it. I was sick i dint buy their extended warranty, but hey I learned a lesson and now buy it with evrything within reason, and its worth evry cent.
    If the reason it broke was due to a faulty part then you should have looked for a remedy under law but that is your choice. The law is there to protect consumers - it is reasonable and fair but nobody if forced to use it.
    I just don't like the word "entitled", most people are clueless and basically take the pi55
    People are entitled to redress if they meet the conditions laid out by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's up to the consumer and seller to come to an agreement between them as to what is reasonable, for any particular product or case. If they can't, the case can be referred to a judge in the Small Claims Court, and the judge will make the decision. Either party is free to argue what is the reasonable time, in their opinion. There is no time limit or guarantee in law. The 6 year limit comes from the statute of limitations in a contract, which means that after 6 years you would have no legal recourse. It does not mean that you have recourse for 6 years though.

Generally speaking, extended warranties (more often than not are actually an insurance policy, not a warranty) are not worth the money paid for them. It depends on the type of policy being bought, and what is covered. This varies from supplier to supplier, but in now way can you say they are all worth every cent.

Statutory entitlements may entitle you to more than the manufacturer's warranty, or it may not. Most people probably aren't aware that they have any entitlements beyond the manufacturer's warranty, and those that do are often confused as to what entitlements they have. In the majority of cases that I've ever heard of, the manufacturer and retailer deny all claims of entitlement that go beyond the warranty.

Each product and case must be looked at individually, and in some cases an extended warranty may well be a good move. Extended warranties give specific time frames, and specific details of what is and isn't covered. The law does not do this, and with good reason.

So what your saying is I should basically have a 10 year warranty on my €600 tv but not on my €300.... now thats ridiculous.

Good for one not for the other. The 6 year rule is the manufacturer must stock parts if somethiing fails, they don't have to repair, replace, or refund.

These "rights" are to grey. The amount of money something costs shouldnt effect your warranty. Your contract is with the shop, yes? At the bottom of your invoice/receipt it says how long your warranty is, if you accept this then you take it. You cant decide after 5 years that "Oh, this tv has stopped working, I think I should get a refund" Thats like me taking a 6 month contract at work, After 6 months my job has ended and I stop getting paid. So I go to court for unlawful dismissal.

People really need to get over themselves and stop trying to take a moral high ground and be realistic

• Advertisement

"Generally speaking, extended warranties (more often than not are actually an insurance policy, not a warranty) are not worth the money paid for them. It depends on the type of policy being bought, and what is covered. This varies from supplier to supplier, but in now way can you say they are all worth every cent."

No an extended warranty is an extension of your warranty, simple. You damage the product its your own fault. I bought my laptop with a 2 year extended warranty. Comletely crashed after 2 years, brought it back. Fair enough had to wait I think 2 weeks but it was replaced under the extended warranty to a slightly better spec laptop, First thing I did "how much is it for a 2year extended warranty"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No an extended warranty is an extension of your warranty, simple. You damage the product its your own fault. I bought my laptop with a 2 year extended warranty. Comletely crashed after 2 years, brought it back. Fair enough had to wait I think 2 weeks but it was replaced under the extended warranty to a slightly better spec laptop, First thing I did "how much is it for a 2year extended warranty"
    You seem to have a misunderstanding of what a warranty is. It's an extra agreement between you and either the manufacturer or the store. A warranty is offered on top of the statutory rights. There is no 'implied' warranty if no warranty is offered. Your statutory rights have nothing to do with warranties

If you bought a TV which came with a warranty of 30 days (or no warranty at all), and it broke down after 35 days, would you just say "F*ck it, it's out of warranty"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So what your saying is I should basically have a 10 year warranty on my €600 tv but not on my €300.... now thats ridiculous.
    Do you think your €600 or €300 tvs should be reasonably expected to last 10 years?
    Good for one not for the other. The 6 year rule is the manufacturer must stock parts if somethiing fails, they don't have to repair, replace, or refund.
    not sure what you mean here?
    These "rights" are to grey. The amount of money something costs shouldnt effect your warranty. Your contract is with the shop, yes? At the bottom of your invoice/receipt it says how long your warranty is, if you accept this then you take it. You cant decide after 5 years that "Oh, this tv has stopped working, I think I should get a refund" Thats like me taking a 6 month contract at work, After 6 months my job has ended and I stop getting paid. So I go to court for unlawful dismissal.
    Except you didnt expect your job to last longer than 6 months. When you purchase a tv for example you do expect it to last longer. Would you be willing to pay €600 for a new tv every 6 months? or even every year?
    People really need to get over themselves and stop trying to take a moral high ground and be realistic
    Step back here and realise that you are the ones bringing in what you think morals wise. The law is there already - thats the way it is - morals dont come into it.

No an extended warranty is an extension of your warranty, simple.
    No it is insurance. People are already covered for faults etc.
    You damage the product its your own fault. I bought my laptop with a 2 year extended warranty. Comletely crashed after 2 years, brought it back. Fair enough had to wait I think 2 weeks but it was replaced under the extended warranty to a slightly better spec laptop, First thing I did "how much is it for a 2year extended warranty"
    Yes, if you damage it then it is your fault and the law wont help you there - thats where insurance, if taken out, comes into action but insurance is not necessary for faults that are not your own fault - get it?

Its not insurance, hence if your gearbox goes on your new car your warranty will cover it not your insurance.

Im not saying that I expect it to work for just 6 months but if your using price as an indication for working life then its silly. My tv I paid 2k for 2.5 years ago by todays standard is worth about 300€ new, How much of a comeback do I have if it breaks down next year when its worth next to nothing.

I just don't think people appreciate depreciation and once they paid 1000€ for something then its always worth €1000, but who makes the valuation.

Its just too grey

Listen I understand you can get annoyed but i'm reading other threads on here and I'm just thinking how thick some people are and how unrealistic peoples expectations are.

Definition of warranty:
    a written guarantee given to the purchaser of a new appliance, automobile, or other item by the manufacturer or dealer, usually specifying that the manufacturer will make any repairs or replace defective parts free of charge for a stated period of time.

Outside of that, tough!

ssmith6287, didn't you say before you worked in Harvey Norman?

To be honest, as silly as this may sound, your posts in this whole thread seem to telling people to buy warranties because they're not otherwise covered.

Its not insurance, hence if your gearbox goes on your new car your warranty will cover it not your insurance.
    No, your statutory rights cover it. If there is a warranty with it, you can claim under that as it's normally faster and easier
    Im not saying that I expect it to work for just 6 months but if your using price as an indication for working life then its silly. My tv I paid 2k for 2.5 years ago by todays standard is worth about 300€ new, How much of a comeback do I have if it breaks down next year when its worth next to nothing.
    You are the only person who brought up price as an indication for working life
    Definition of warranty:
    a written guarantee given to the purchaser of a new appliance, automobile, or other item by the manufacturer or dealer, usually specifying that the manufacturer will make any repairs or replace defective parts free of charge for a stated period of time.
    And once again, that is on top of your statutory rights. As in: extra. As in: supplementary to.
    Outside of that, tough!
    Outside of that, you can no longer claim under your warranty. You are still entitled to excerise your statutory rights

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

used to work there, its been a while though. Thats irrelivent, I'm looking at other threads on here and just making a general feeling known.

I didnt bring up the thing about the price reflecting on lifetime, I think your warranty should be the same whether you spen €10 or €1000.

What i'm giving out about is people saying that they have the right to refund, repair or replace after 4 and 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There are a good amount of threads on this forum with people whose electrical equipment has given up after a couple of years and there are a few people who immediately tell them to go the small claims court as they are "entitled" under Irish law and f*ck the retailers guarantee.

It really does depend on the individual item - eg a washing machine that
    a)
    Is in constant use for a family (say twice a day) that wears out after 5 years - I wouldn't expect any retailer or small claims court to entertain a claim like this.
    b)
    Is used occasionally (maybe twice a week) for a single person, that stops working after 18 months. This is where you would expect a claim to be made as it's outside the retailer guarantee but barely used.

The same can be said for most appliances - my sister puts on the TV when she wakes up in the morning and just has it on in the background all day. She's gone through 3 TVs in 6 years.

I didnt bring up the thing about the price reflecting on lifetime, I think your warranty should be the same whether you spen €10 or €1000.
    Price has nothing to do with it, and you are the only person who has brought it up in this thread
    What i'm giving out about is people saying that they have the right to refund, repair or replace after 4 and 5 years
    They do, if it is reasonable to expect the product to last that long.

I don't know why you insist on bringing warranties into the discussion. Warranties are completely and utterly irrelevant to consumer rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

My tv I paid 2k for 2.5 years ago by todays standard is worth about 300€ new, How much of a comeback do I have if it breaks down next year when its worth next to nothing.

It's up to you really to decide what your happy with.

Your entitled to redress under law and in this case a repair would be more than adequate and reasonable, IMO.

As a side note, if you paid €2000 for a television 30 months ago and you can get the exact same spec'd one now for €300, you might have a case for a robbery charge. :)

Extended warranties are insurance policys. A manufacturers warranty (this is really a guarantee under law) is not insurance. There is a difference.
    If it turns out to be a manufacturers fault then the fault is deemed to have existed when you purchased the TV. You may not get a refund (and partial refunds as opposed to full refunds can be awarded too) and you may not get a replacement - you might just be awarded a repair. It depends on the circumstances and what is reasonable (ultimately a judge decides this if negotiations fail).
    I just don't think people appreciate depreciation and once they paid 1000€ for something then its always worth €1000, but who makes the valuation.
    This has nothing to do with the worth of the TV. In the case of above I would think it is reasonable to accept a repair of the TV, failing that then a replacement or a partial refund (i.e. to the value of replacing the tv with a similiar spec model which should be cheaper 2.5 years later than the original cost of the broken TV).
    Its just too grey
    It would not be possible to legislate for every scenario thus it comes down to what is reasonable. Yes, it can be subjective but most law is not black and white law due to the amount of possible circumstances. Black and white in law is bad imo - grey law is why we have judges.
    Listen I understand you can get annoyed but i'm reading other threads on here and I'm just thinking how thick some people are and how unrealistic peoples expectations are.

Definition of warranty:

Outside of that, tough!
    Thankfully consumer law does not follow your line of thinking.

Really I dont see the consumer issue here - this is more like a humanities thread since you are trying to argue the morals of the law - not the reality of the law.

That makes sense now but the general style on this is the people that sold you the product is out to get you, its their fault your tv stopped working, its their fault your microwave broke, so lets bad mouth them all and sue the holes off them till they all shut down and leave us be ....

I know i'm been dramatic but as theat person said, I used to work in retail and it bugged me that people would come in and try to recourgitate to suit them what their statitory rights say. Now I'm reading here, and a guy said he owned the tv for 4 years, it after breaking down. The next guy says go to small claims... Like comon

That makes sense now but the general style on this is the people that sold you the product is out to get you, its their fault your tv stopped working, its their fault your microwave broke, so lets bad mouth them all and sue the holes off them till they all shut down and leave us be ....

I know i'm been dramatic but as theat person said, I used to work in retail and it bugged me that people would come in and try to recourgitate to suit them what their statitory rights say. Now I'm reading here, and a guy said he owned the tv for 4 years, it after breaking down. The next guy says go to small claims... Like comon
    As opposed to people who state that all you're entitled to is what the shop decides to offer a warranty for? Or that buying extended warranties are a good idea?

28064212 wrote: »
    You are the only person who brought up price as an indication for working life
    Price has nothing to do with it, and you are the only person who has brought it up in this thread
    I think I brought it up.

Price can be relevant as to how long goods should last. See here:
    (3) Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances, and any reference in this Act to unmerchantable goods shall be construed accordingly.
    I would expect a €1000 tv to last longer than a €300 tv all things being equal e.g. same size etc. i.e. some models are cheaper than others and not as reliable as a result.

I dont think it is fair to say that a cheaper model product should be expect to last as long as a more expensive model - when features etc are taken to be the same.
    It is possible to have those rights but it completely depends on the circumstances as to whether it is fair to assume that a fault existed at the time of sale.

axer wrote: »
    I think I brought it up.
    Touché, but you certainly didn't suggest that it was a linear scale and a direct reflection of the length of a warranty

I am a strong advocate against such behaviour.
    It totally depends on the circumstances involved. I would let such a person know that they may have a fight on their hands depending on what the fault is i.e. is it a fault that could have been caused by misuse/abuse.

Touché, but you certainly didn't suggest that it was a linear scale and a direct reflection of the length of a warranty
    No, I think the OP might have misunderstood that. I should have been more clear with the "if relevant" part.

• Advertisement

OP I think your issue is simply explained in that there are chancers and ignorant people all over the place. Both consumers and business reps.

You have consumers that think a business should sing and dance for them and you have businesses that effectively tell you to f off.

In the middle you have reasonable consumers and reasonable business reps who deal with each other and look at the situations and the law in a reasonable manner.

People often forget that those working in shops are regular consumers too.

Advertisement