Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet South Sligo

Options
  • 25-01-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

We just moved to a house out by the Connacht Gold Co-op. Trying to find internet options as we can't get broadband (on the Dromard exchange).

The only two I could find were Fastcom and Three.ie. I was hoping some of you might be around the same area and have an idea between the two?

I'm a gamer, so ping speeds are pretty important, which is why I'm hesitant to go with three. But Fastcom want an arm and a leg to install the service and I'm not sure we have line-of-sight to the mast as it's on the water tower in Dromore West and we've a hill in the way. Also, if we move again in the next year or so we'd be screwed, whereas we could take Three with us.

Any info would be appreciated! I've no idea if there's enough signal, even with the repeater on the NBS for three to be viable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

When I was with Fastcom my ping was amazing, it was never more the 10ms and quite often 0 - 5ms. I still couldn't play online games though without serious lag ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Frezzin wrote: »
    Hi all,

We just moved to a house out by the Connacht Gold Co-op. Trying to find internet options as we can't get broadband (on the Dromard exchange).

The only two I could find were Fastcom and Three.ie. I was hoping some of you might be around the same area and have an idea between the two?

I'm a gamer, so ping speeds are pretty important, which is why I'm hesitant to go with three. But Fastcom want an arm and a leg to install the service and I'm not sure we have line-of-sight to the mast as it's on the water tower in Dromore West and we've a hill in the way. Also, if we move again in the next year or so we'd be screwed, whereas we could take Three with us.

Any info would be appreciated! I've no idea if there's enough signal, even with the repeater on the NBS for three to be viable.

Thanks!
    I moved and Fastcom just came and set me up in the new house. €60 if I recall correctly. Pretty much the same as Sky do when you move house.

And also: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056158063

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When I was with Fastcom my ping was amazing, it was never more the 10ms and quite often 0 - 5ms. I still couldn't play online games though without serious lag ect.

It sounds like that however you were testing your lag, it was using a server on the fastcom network. That's the only way it could be that low. It would also explain why online gaming was awful for you. I imagine you were using speedtest's Sligo server as that is hosted by fastcom and hence why your ping was so low.

@OP - I had fastcom for a while and it was truely awful. Slow speeds even for just browsing, newzbin downloads wouldn't worked at all (didn't try torrents) and it would frequently drop out on us. The thing was unusable most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It sounds like that however you were testing your lag, it was using a server on the fastcom network. That's the only way it could be that low. It would also explain why online gaming was awful for you. I imagine you were using speedtest's Sligo server as that is hosted by fastcom and hence why your ping was so low.

@OP - I had fastcom for a while and it was truely awful. Slow speeds even for just browsing, newzbin downloads wouldn't worked at all (didn't try torrents) and it would frequently drop out on us. The thing was unusable most of the time.
    I'd say you're right about the ping there AC. I actually find the ping to bloody awful whenever I do a speedtest (475ms just there a minute ago :eek:).

As I've said before, newsgroup downloads didn't work for me at first but I just gave them a call and they sorted it for me in a couple of minutes. I have great torrent speeds and the upload really helps with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

I have fastcom( 2 years now)
    I find the service pretty good, but it was poor at times for the first year.
    Now I can use Blueface, Torrentz and COD online on the PS3.
    A 6GB torrent takes about 24 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement