Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[SPOILERS] Game endings.....

Options
  • 25-01-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

.....that haven't felt worth it.

I'm coming to this realisation after completing Halo: Reach. Pumping my fist in the air and crying like a big sissy boy during the credits (not really). Only to be met with Noble-6 still in the fight......kinda. And ending the game by
    dying.

Now, I know that this is only one game I'm nit picking at. But I've known this ending to be in at least two others (namely Final Fantasy: Crisis Core [psp] and Red Dead Redemption [multi]).

Is this a cop out by writers who just pen ".....fade to black. End." on a Friday evening, do you feel cheated or do you like this sort of ending to a game?

Or are there other examples where you felt cheated by the ending?

(PS: Mods if this is here already please delete\move it. I did a search but couldn't find anything! Cheers.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well in Reach, the ending was preordained wasn't it?

For Red Dead, I haven't finished it but I knew about the ending.
    I think it was a very brave thing for them to do, and narratively fit with the theme of the game (redemption).

I'm more frustrated by endings that don't give you a good payoff after pouring hours into a game. From recent memory, Borderlands ending was awful (for such a good game), Fable 3's ending was poor, and Enslaved's ending was frankly ridiculous (especially after the epic final level).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mr E wrote: »

True. :o

But, I think it's more the delivery than the ending itself. Just the futile battle. The heroic soldier. The pride! Snif.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

spoiler tags be needed here methinks, I already had the ending to RDR ruined for me, still wanna play it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've heard a lot about the Red Dead ending actually, as in I haven't heard what happens but that it is pretty fantastic. Must get around to finishing it - I'm near the end, just lost concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Devil May Cry 2. Two endings due to the two playable characters. Both endings equally bad.

Dante's ending has you
    fighting some Flame Boy, with absolutely no build up or any idea who he was. You defeat him, and Dante (who somehow brought his motorbike into Hell with him) rides off deeper into Hell.

Then Lucia's ending has her doing
    WHO THE F*CK CARES!

Don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a game. Such a let down after the superb first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've heard a lot about the Red Dead ending actually, as in I haven't heard what happens but that it is pretty fantastic. Must get around to finishing it - I'm near the end, just lost concentration.

As a warning, the last few missions suck balls but stick at it for the epic ending.

Barrington wrote: »
    Devil May Cry 2. Two endings due to the two playable characters. Both endings equally bad.

Dante's ending has you
    fighting some Flame Boy, with absolutely no build up or any idea who he was. You defeat him, and Dante (who somehow brought his motorbike into Hell with him) rides off deeper into Hell.

Then Lucia's ending has her doing
    WHO THE F*CK CARES!

Don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a game. Such a let down after the superb first one

DMC3 was a superb return to form though, a blast to play from start to finish, DMC4 was a bit meh though, had its moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    DMC3 was a superb return to form though, a blast to play from start to finish, DMC4 was a bit meh though, had its moments.

Couldn't agree more. DMC4s ending was alright, but the story could have been so much better. DMC2 just barely exists as far as I'm concerned. Never want to play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm going to edit some posts to add spoiler tags.... its only fair.

Barrington wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. DMC4s ending was alright, but the story could have been so much better. DMC2 just barely exists as far as I'm concerned. Never want to play it again.

I didnt even finish DMC2, was so excited about it and then lost interest in it about a quarter of the way through. DMC3 on the other hand was fantastic, any game that has you chucking a sword vertically down the side of a skyscraper then firing a bullet into it to make it go faster has got to be worth playing. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Borderlands is a recent one for me, the boss fight was pants, and the loot you got from it ... woeful. Surely the end-game boss should drop some pretty awesome loot, you'd think... no. The design of the boss/boss fight was also pretty pants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

Mr E wrote: »

Its not the destination but the road travelled which makes the journey... or something like that. Either way I loved the ending for Reach. Think it was the only way it could have been done.

Can't wait till they make another Halo game in about 10-20 years. Planning on pre-ordering it from game now to really start racking up those reward points :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo 2 is a lesson in how not to end a game and the series from 2 onwards a lesson in how not to write.

It's a shame that I have far too many games to list that had disappointing endings. There's some really bad game endings were it was like the writers coming to the end of development couldn't be arsed making a good ending and one was never prewritten until the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good thread.

For me last game with disappointing ending: k&l 2. The game it self was really damn good, one of the rare games that I was pushing to see the end.

And the ending was shocking. I couldn't believe it.

You fight your way to the plane.
    Then both of them go on the plane. Credits. No final clip etc.

Can mod put spoiler? As I am writing it on the phone in mobile version of boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I did enjoy the ending for Dead space 2 when he looks over and she says, what ??.

Generally cliff hanger endings annoy me a bit because i have to wait 2 or 3 years to get the next chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's not just the ending that is so great, it's what happens after the ending that really makes it great for me.
    One particular side-mission (random encounter) i.e.
    Meeting the Man in Black and his eerie ramblings
    that happens across three portions of the game sets up the finale pretty well.

I think it was the perfect way to end that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I did enjoy the ending for Dead space 2 when he looks over and she says, what ??.
    I was waiting for her to pounce onto him like the end of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Yeah, that was nicely done.

The end to Demon's Souls was
    disappointing. I know it wasn't a narrative-heavy game but it still could've rewarded the achievement of beating such a tough game! Last boss was pathetic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I must say it's like any film, it can be really hit or miss. There have been some rubbish game endings, and some absolutely brilliant ones.

Boarderlands was terrible. I really did not understand what the last boss had to do with it at all. It was just so out of place.

Gears of War 1 final boss
    Vs Raam was epic. Fighting against an enemy who you knew was strong and combining it with the Kril, something you were forced to fear was an excellent combination.
    GoW2 was very disappointing.

Bioshock has had the best ending to all of the games I can remember. It is something that prompts a second play through.

Fable 2: Learning that
    your family was murdered while you were away and that you had to choose between them and what you have been fighting for
    was a hell of a way to end the game.

Fable 3: Learning that
    your brother was kind of good
    was a crap 'mid plot thing. Ending was pants

The ending of GoW2 was just diabolical -
    the last boss fight was just absolutely useless! Way too easy for the amount you would have put the game itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

cheers for that shadow hearth I was debating whether or not to pick that game up and think I'll give her a miss now.

Anyone had a look to see how the story for bulletstorm goes? As in, is the storyline any good? I played the demo and while it seemed fun initially I could see myself getting bored pretty quickly with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well I can add Far Cry 2
    Esp. the last side mission to get the mercenary diamonds and you find that all the "friends" who've died are actually alive and will fight you; with out any explanation of why... The two optional endings are also crap as they go through to the same point; of course you trust the Jackal to do the right thing etc. and you're not going to try to survive, sure...
    to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Never mind the ending, all of Far Cry 2 was a terrible pile of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Anyone want to tell me the overall story line to Assassin creed? I recently finished the first one, and though it was terrible, I would still like to know where it went in the sequels. I assume it has something to do with a battle
    over alien technology that can control the minds of men or some such rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone want to tell me the overall story line to Assassin creed? I recently finished the first one, and though it was terrible, I would still like to know where it went in the sequels. I assume it has something to do with a battle
    over alien technology that can control the minds of men or some such rot.

Someone actually put a lot of thought into that story, its a it crap tho.
    Those who came before made mankind, mankind revolted. They died/left.They made the pieces of eden to control man, world gonna end only present day dude can save it.

in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Despite loving the games, I was actually disappointed by the endings of both Uncharted games

In the first one,
    after fighting your way off the island to land on a boat and have to go through a gunfight to get to the bad guy, the last thing you do in the game to finish it and kill the bad guy, is a QTE
    :confused:

As for the second one,
    I thought the final boss battle was disappointing but liked that you still had to run over a collapsing bridge and the last thing you do is shoot a guardian in the face - but it ends with Drake talking about clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Daemos wrote: »
    Despite loving the games, I was actually disappointed by the endings of both Uncharted games

In the first one,
    after fighting your way off the island to land on a boat and have to go through a gunfight to get to the bad guy, the last thing you do in the game to finish it and kill the bad guy, is a QTE

As for the second one,
    I thought the final boss battle was disappointing but liked that you still had to run over a collapsing bridge and the last thing you do is shoot a guardian in the face - but it ends with Drake talking about clowns

uncharted 1 , fair enough
    uncharted 2 i thought was badass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I finished Darksiders the other night. I felt that
    the final boss was just far too easy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I finished Darksiders the other night. I felt that
    the final boss was just far too easy

The final boss was easy, but at least you got a badass ending scene.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i felt ripped off with street fighter 2. all the way through guile is laughing at the guy he just beat saying "go home and be a family man" then when i beat bison instead of going to a strip club he goes home with his frickin family!

Advertisement