Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein 1-D

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Because sometimes less is funnier.

http://wonder-tonic.com/wolf1d/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Haha brilliant !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Isn't a line 2d?

It's still got to have x,y coords to draw it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Isn't a line 2d?

It's still got to have x,y coords to draw it.

I think they're defining it as one dimensional movement i.e. you can only move along the x axis.

It's a rough definition, but it's funny, and that's all that really concerns me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Nah, lines are 1-D all right, even diagonal ones :) Just have to tilt your head the right way!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If you draw a line between two points that is one dimension. A single point is a point, not a dimension. So yes, it's a 1-D game.

It's also really hard.

• Advertisement

Is it just a horizontal line or are there vertical ones too? Took me a few tries to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Zillah wrote: »
    If you draw a line between two points that is one dimension. A single point is a point, not a dimension. So yes, it's a 1-D game.

It's also really hard.
    Yea I know what you mean but the problem comes when drawing the line. How do you a draw line that has no depth. That line must have two dimensions to be shown on a screen. It must have a width of at least 1 pixel a, 1d line has no width just length.

I know it doesn't really matter and I'm just being anal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is it just a horizontal line or are there vertical ones too? Took me a few tries to finish.

Nope, horizontal only. Only having a single plain to navigate is what separates this from a 2D game, in which you would have control over the y axis too, i.e. up and down as well. A 3D game allows you to navigate a third dimensional plain in which you can negotiate the Z axis as well.

But yes, it is hard. Those three blue pixel guys are bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Wow really? I thought it was incredibly easy. Is there more than the one level, or am I just some sort of god of 1-d gaming?

Wow really? I thought it was incredibly easy. Is there more than the one level, or am I just some sort of god of 1-d gaming?

Took me around three goes. Not very hard, and very short, but more challenging than I expected from walking along a line and pressing 'ctrl'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Yea I know what you mean but the problem comes when drawing the line. How do you a draw line that has no depth. That line must have two dimensions to be shown on a screen. It must have a width of at least 1 pixel a, 1d line has no width just length.

I know it doesn't really matter and I'm just being anal.

Well technically a line is an abstract construct so it has no depth/width but in this case, yes it has a depth so it can be graphically represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I thought that it was a video first. They didn't have the chain gun! :(
    At least I didn't need to fight off a boss with no strafing.

Advertisement