Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about Harvey Norman coming to galway? I remember last summer there was some articles in the locals saying they were looking for suitable premises. There is certainley enough empty places in Galway. Maybe the downturn has changed their minds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I heard it opened but its closing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Harvey Norman admitted that coming to Ireland was the worst decision they could have made. I can't see them opening any new stores, I can see them liquidating however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Skyuser wrote: »
    Harvey Norman admitted that coming to Ireland was the worst decision they could have made. I can't see them opening any new stores, I can see them liquidating however.

Opening more stores would actually make sense. It improves the economies of scale thus slightly improving the consequences of having opened in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

this thread just caught my eye as i seen them list a job on some site earlier today while trawling through jobsites, fas, irishjobs and jobs.ie...so assume they must be planning on opening up soon. no more info that that tho i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

this thread just caught my eye as i seen them list a job on some site earlier today while trawling through jobsites, fas, irishjobs and jobs.ie...so assume they must be planning on opening up soon. no more info that that tho i'm afraid.

Any link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Do you think Galway is missing something without Harvey Norman ?

It's just like, say, Reids and Currys beside one another with just the one entrance door.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do you think Galway is missing something without Harvey Norman ?

It's just like, say, Reids and Currys beside one another with just the one entrance door.

I think people are thinking about jobs, not whether Galway needs a Harvey Norman. No we're not missing out, harvey norman is essentially what o'connors was (the o'connors that went out of business, the one that used to be where aldi in the Galway Retail park is)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Mactard wrote: »
    I think people are thinking about jobs, not whether Galway needs a Harvey Norman. No we're not missing out, harvey norman is essentially what o'connors was (the o'connors that went out of business, the one that used to be where aldi in the Galway Retail park is)

O'Connors Incredible Planet didn't got out of business.

They sold out to Electricworld around 10 years ago, who kept changed the name to Electricworld @ O'Connors.

Electricworld then fcuked off back to Belfast on the back of three lorries overnight about five years ago. After locking the staff out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They sold out to Electricworld around 10 years ago, who kept changed the name to Electricworld @ O'Connors.

Electricworld then fcuked off back to Belfast on the back of three lorries overnight about five years ago. After locking the staff out.

Thanks kindly for clarifying.

Is ****in right, it was 8 yrs ago this month. I was one of the staff who got shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Harvey Norman are losing a fortune in Ireland due to crazy rents and long-leases. Don't think they are even expected to break even until 2014 or 2015. Their investment is too big to pull out though. At least for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daithiard

I know for a solid fact HN have been looking to get into Galway as recently as a 2 months ago as they have been in negotiations with a few businesses etc. Their problem is finding a place A/ big enough B/ without nearby competion(galway people are notorioiusly loyal to local business as Capet-rite and reids found out) C/ with parking. Don't be surprised if you see them opening in the briarhill/oranmore area.

And yes before anyone says it, Carpet-rite and Reids did also suffer from high rents and being in the centre of a the carpark that is moneenageesa, but neither business ever took off. Worked in the industry, knew suppliers and staff in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

this might actually be a very good time for hv to move to galway, as they'd be able to negotiate a great deal on a premises with low rents and favourable lease terms, or they could just buy a building on the cheap outright,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Skyuser wrote: »

They said Ireland today was worse than during the famine!!

daithiard wrote: »
    I know for a solid fact HN have been looking to get into Galway as recently as a 2 months ago as they have been in negotiations with a few businesses etc. Their problem is finding a place A/ big enough B/ without nearby competion(galway people are notorioiusly loyal to local business as Capet-rite and reids found out) C/ with parking. Don't be surprised if you see them opening in the briarhill/oranmore area.

And yes before anyone says it, Carpet-rite and Reids did also suffer from high rents and being in the centre of a the carpark that is moneenageesa, but neither business ever took off. Worked in the industry, knew suppliers and staff in both.

Good to know, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Heard the same. I was told about a premises they looked at near enough to McDonaghs (well its in that general area anyways :) )

Reids never did well because they charge silly prices

carpet whatever sold lower quality carpets than other places for the same prices

loyality had nothing to do with it. Is there even such a thing as loyality to a carpet shop lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ianlee

hv will open store in galway end of may

ianlee wrote: »
    hv will open store in galway end of may

Any location?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

who is hv

• Advertisement

I presume they mean Harvey Norman

hv - harvey norman
    east of galway
    ta

ianlee wrote: »
    hv - harvey norman
    east of galway
    ta

Briarhill??

hi
    don't know
    is possible, or maybe in Oranmore
    ths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Looks like they are coming alright from the flyer that was in the paper (Galway independent) today; but I couldn''t make it out. Is it opening just for 10 days or is it just an initial 10 day sale? Haven't it with me now but it's going to be up in Briarhill.
    Have they good stuff available, seemed cheapy from the ad but I supppose that must be the MEGA sale items. Only decent furniture retailer left now is Easy Living; and they're local as far as I know so hope it doesn't squeeez them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

:mad: Hmm and todays the day i didn't get the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I dont agree with this special ten day sale only, its not fair on established retailers in Galway and County that thay can just come in rent a unit for ten days then gone again, they are almost the same as the guys who come in have a weekend sale of sh..e and off again. I thought they were moving into Galway full time, if I was operating any of the competition shops here in Galway I would be very annoyed at this, I like a bargain as well but just dont think this way is fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

they will be massive competition for Curry's/PC World, who are already struggling and trying to consolidate the two stores and locked into a long lease in welpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

Seaneh wrote: »
    they will be massive competition for Curry's/PC World, who are already struggling and trying to consolidate the two stores and locked into a long lease in welpark.

Just wondering as too how long the lease in wellpark is?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Seaneh wrote: »
    Never realised they were electrical, always thought they were just furniture. Had a quick squint around their website, the prices don't seem that CRAZY as those beautiful ads always belt out.
    Any bargains here
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/services/march-madness?cat=2071
    ?

Advertisement