Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lexapro - should I take it?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Yesterday my GP prescribed Lexapro for mild depression. I'm a 42 year old man. I have been feeling 'down' and very lethargic for an extended period of time. Probably the last 2-3 years. I am finding it very hard to get excited about anything. I have become unemotional. My libido has disappeared completely. This feeling has intensified recently (I lost my job last Sept and at the same time my mother was diagnosed with terminal C). I've lost interest in all hobbies. I feel kind of numb and am just getting through the days. I probably drink too much - 1 bottle + of wine every evening.

I have gone to a couple of interviews and while I am sure I have ticked all the boxes on the interviewers sheets ( 3rd level education, lots of experience at a senior level etc) I am sure I am coming across as less than dynamic. I just cannot rouse myself mentally. Physically I am fit and healthy but I have stopped exercising regularly over the last 4 months.

My GP has suggested that Lexapro will give me the 'boost' I need to get me kick started. I am very nervous about taking this kind of drug.

(1) I would be grateful if anybody who has been in a similar situation to me could please tell me how they fared on Lexapro?

(2) I would also like to know if there are any other avenues besides medication?

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Well if your GP has prescribed it, follow his advice and take it.

I was prescribed it 2 years ago and it does seem to make a diffence to me.

I had the same symptoms as you, then thy did blood tests and my Vitamin B12 was very low, so I get a shot of that every 2 months, also my testosterone was very low, I'm getting treatment for that, that has certainly perked me up, in more ways than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

OP, noone here can answer teh question "should i take it?".

we dont give medical advice here.

did you ask your gp about other avenues of treatment? we cant comment on your suitability for them.

lastly, theres a thread already open on depression, so i'll close this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement