Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asset Manage Client PCs

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I'm looking for server side software that will help me manage the client PCs within the local domain/LAN, I need it to do the first item on the list at least. Anyone any recommendations?
    Cheers!
    • List applications installed on the PCs
    • Pull serial numbers / version from the applications
    • Apply an identifying serial number to the PC and be able to list it
    • List the Windows version
    • Add in other stuff line is AV working (I'm using Forefront)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Your probably looking at something like SCOM or SCE from microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat2000

thanks, I'm installing System Center essentials now to trial it. I think SCOM might be too much work for my deployment (~ 70 clients).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Spiceworks does it for free.

It covers every point on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

Hi Pat I would suggest Lansweeper.
    I used the free version for a while and upgraded after that its excellent.

Runs via logon script.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

We use EMCO Network Inventory here. Works well altough no intergration with AD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I second Spiceworks, works well for my client's sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The only thing with spiceworks you wont be able to do from your list is apply an identifying serial number to the PC. If you have Dell pcs then spiceworks can pull the service tag though (I think it pulls serial numbers from other brands too but not 100% sure on that).

It can with the help of plugins. Dell and HP are no problem (within reason of course!), other might work as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Does spiceworks do interactive desktop/RDP sessions? Might be something to look into if you're trialing the M$ product

LoGiE wrote: »
    Does spiceworks do interactive desktop/RDP sessions? Might be something to look into if you're trialing the M$ product

Not as far as I remember. Link: http://www.spiceworks.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Microsofts - System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) can do everything you are looking for there and a lot more. It used to be known as sms.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Microsofts - System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) can do everything you are looking for there and a lot more. It used to be known as sms.

Yes, it can but it also costs a lot more than the likes of Spiceworks ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

qwertz wrote: »
    Yes, it can but it also costs a lot more than the likes of Spiceworks ;)

Thats true! Not sure how much it would cost for 70 clients, we have over 7000 where i work.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Thats true! Not sure how much it would cost for 70 clients, we have over 7000 where i work.

Yep, that is a good justification for SCCM. You'd need multiple Spiceworks servers to serve that many clients. One Spiceworks installation would serve as the central server with multiple remote ones feeding data back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

NetSupport DNA is a good product for smaller networks. Also has optional remote control and a service desk.

Half price at the moment: http://www.netsupportdna.com/dnahalfprice.asp

Advertisement