Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Brekkie in Athlone

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Just saw a thread in the Galway forum, and it made me think.
    Since the death of the diner (The Diner Special, with a pint of Milk - Delish!),

Where is the best breakfast in Athlone nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My kitchen on a Sunday morning

My special is "The Hangover killer"

Possible side affects:

Clogged arteries
    Weight Gain
    bloatedness

Other than that, hmmm, thats a good question really - i dont think ive ever had breakfast "out" in athlone, its normally something i do when im away from home, if im in town and i dont want to cook, generally go to a service station for some take away brekkie

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Has to be the Slice of Life on connacht street.
    They should just call it the "widow maker"

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

How ye folks

Defo Coffee haven (bottomless cuppa also). I think it is a savage place to head on a Sunday morning for a recovery brekfast and a read of the papers. Staff are dead sound too and it is a nice hideaway.
    I agree that Slice of Life is very good but if you head in any way late (round 4) there is no hot food left and you are told that the toasters etc have been turned off so no wraps etc.
    coffee haven is the biz.
    As for the worst, would it be Kilmartins N6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Funnily enough I used to be a weekend regular in Coffee Haven but found that it went downhill big time. I wouldnt even go in there as a last resort now.

I'm partial to Loaves & Fishes in Pearse Court whenever I'm in town for an early bite. Dont think they open on Sundays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Kilmartins serves its purpose, 7 o clock on a sunday, twisted eating brekkie rolls. Or after work, or up travelling early.No where else to get early breakfasts.

Must try the slice of life and Loaves and fishes. Think I am free on Saturday morning this week, so I will try one of them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I think it used to be the Palace but then they got lazy and don't open up for breakfast anymore.
    Slice of life is good though.
    My own personal favourite would be either Coffee Haven, or Poppy Fields

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

rarely out for breakfast myself, but when I am, it's usually Poppyfields, tasty and not too greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Sorry I switched off when you said not too greasy!

I think it used to be the Palace but then they got lazy and don't open up for breakfast anymore.

I heard they stopped doing food altogether!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I heard they stopped doing food altogether!

They were doin grub in the evenings up to last week anyway

• Advertisement

They were doin grub in the evenings up to last week anyway

Ah right, taxi driver told me on Friday that they had stopped! I haven't been in there in a long time so it could have closed down and I'd be non the wiser!

Maybe the Palace is closed. The last couple of nights I passed around 10.30/11 and the doors were closed and the place in darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Ah right, taxi driver told me on Friday that they had stopped!
    Gospel according to the taxi man!!!
    They are closing after food midweek as nobody goes out midweek anymore except the students and they just drink at home and go straight to Bozos.

Coffee Haven is a good spot alright. I love the chicken curry there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 uSmellLikeSoup

Poppyfields and dare I say it.......... Cleopatra in Golden Island do a yummy breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 philippeleblan

For me it has to be the Celtic Cafe.
    Simple,fast,tasty.hot and not greasy in a friendly little place behind the castle only a couple doors away from Sean's bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

For me it has to be the Celtic Cafe.
    Simple,fast,tasty.hot and not greasy in a friendly little place behind the castle only a couple doors away from Sean's bar.

Jesus christ man....
    6 year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I actually seen a similar discussion on facebook the other day - where's best for breakfast in Athlone.

For me it has to be Savoury Fare - we've been getting into the habit of going there for a late breakie every other Saturday.
    Recently discovered that The Corner House Bistro does breakfast - that was quite nice and we'll be back again to try more stuff off the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭boardtc

It's sad to see Slice Of life closed now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I passed Slice of Life on Saturday and there's a new sign outside saying Connaught Bistro. Good to see the unit being filled so quick.
    There's a great breakfast in Loaves & Fishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Corner house bistro and Savory Fare have a lovely breakfast. Best breakfast sandwiches: SPAR Garrycastle :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement