Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food prices

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just this week I noticed that all Big Al's products have gone up by 10% in my local Tesco.
    I was wondering is this a move by "Big Al's" or a solo run by Tesco?

Seems fairly hefty and certainly means that I'll be switching to other products and I'll certainly let Kepak know what I think.

Also I have an annoyance about Tesco's pricing structure.
    For certain items where you would think that bulk buying would be better off it actually is worse.

E.g.s

3Lt containers of Tesco milk are more expensive per litre than 2Lt containers.

Rice Krispie cereal bars(marshmallow ones) 8pks are more expensive than 2x4pks of the exact same product.

Tesco 12pk toilet roll more expensive than 3 of the 4pk variety(this may have changed as haven't bought in a few weeks).

There are other examples that people may not notice and assume the bigger buy is better value-be aware!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JackieChan wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just this week I noticed that all Big Al's products have gone up by 10% in my local Tesco.
    I was wondering is this a move by "Big Al's" or a solo run by Tesco?

Seems fairly hefty and certainly means that I'll be switching to other products and I'll certainly let Kepak know what I think.

Also I have an annoyance about Tesco's pricing structure.
    For certain items where you would think that bulk buying would be better off it actually is worse.

E.g.s

3Lt containers of Tesco milk are more expensive per litre than 2Lt containers.

Rice Krispie cereal bars(marshmallow ones) 8pks are more expensive than 2x4pks of the exact same product.

Tesco 12pk toilet roll more expensive than 3 of the 4pk variety(this may have changed as haven't bought in a few weeks).

There are other examples that people may not notice and assume the bigger buy is better value-be aware!

I was in Tesco earlier on and a 3 litre is marked at 74c per litre, the 2 litre marked at 75c per litre. This is the opposite of what you're saying.

Didn't notice the rest, because I wasn't buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lornakg

Aldi have 4 packs of 6oz burgers that are identical to big al's at 2.69 a pack, in

comparison to a fiver for the big al brand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tesco Weetabix a pair of 24's is cheaper than a 48

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tesco Weetabix a pair of 24's is cheaper than a 48

I'll raise you 6 separate tins of SuperValu cat-food being cheaper than a 6-pack.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

This has come up many times before and the explanation is very simple.

Take for example the 6 pack of whiskas tins. - This is by a long long way the most popular way to buy cat food.

It is delivered by the pallet load and made in the tens of thousands.

Then take the 12 tin pack which retails at more than 2 x 6 packs. Per unit, it is more costly as it is not bought by pallet load and is made in much smaller runs hence higher delivery & manufacturing costs.

Effectively in many cases, you are getting better economies of scale buying the most popular size rather than a multipack.

In the case where an item is loose filled - such as cereals / pasta / washing powder, the bigger pack will normally be cheaper as the savings in packaging brings the unit costs down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

also something to consider....

the "offers" in Tesco are indeed fantastic at times.
    Often so fantasic that Tesco is selling big name brands at a loss.

Now riddle me this Batman!

How does Tesco sell some things at a loss, advertise these great deals in the nationa media at a great cost AND still make 100's of millions of profit?

(Hint- selling big al burgers at twice the price of the Lidl equivalent might be a start in finding out!!
    Or my example from student times, pack of 2*2ply bog roll for 70p and at the same time a half kilo of mince for a pound! They give with one hand and take with the other!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was in Tesco earlier on and a 3 litre is marked at 74c per litre, the 2 litre marked at 75c per litre. This is the opposite of what you're saying.

Didn't notice the rest, because I wasn't buying them.

I suppose I'm going by my local store.
    They charge 1.49 for 2lt and 2.25 for 3lt...fair enough it's nit going to break the bank but just an observation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Went into Tesco today to buy 1litre of Premier Milk. Was 97c now it's €1.15!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

also something to consider....

the "offers" in Tesco are indeed fantastic at times.
    Often so fantasic that Tesco is selling big name brands at a loss.

Now riddle me this Batman!

How does Tesco sell some things at a loss, advertise these great deals in the nationa media at a great cost AND still make 100's of millions of profit?

(Hint- selling big al burgers at twice the price of the Lidl equivalent might be a start in finding out!!
    Or my example from student times, pack of 2*2ply bog roll for 70p and at the same time a half kilo of mince for a pound! They give with one hand and take with the other!)

they are called 'loss leaders'.

they sell a product on special at below cost in the hope that when you got to buy it you will stay and do a full grocery shop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

tesco 1l milk: 0.75
    tesco 2l milk: 1.49
    tesco 3l milk: 2.22

never mind that aptimal no1 baby milk went up by 50c in tesco 2 weeks ago now all other supermarkets put it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Went into Tesco today to buy 1litre of Premier Milk. Was 97c now it's €1.15!:mad:

Your better off going to Iceland in the ilac centre, they sell 2 litres of milk for 99c. That's the cheapest I have seen around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    tesco 1l milk: 0.75
    tesco 2l milk: 1.49
    tesco 3l milk: 2.22

never mind that aptimal no1 baby milk went up by 50c in tesco 2 weeks ago now all other supermarkets put it up.

This happens on a regular basis, don't know if it's to do with production costs or if it is "price fixing/matching" by Dunnes/Superquinn/SV but they do seem to watch each other very closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OI think its price fixing, especially in health and beauty and baby, if Tesco change a price Dunnes and Superquinn follow, but the larger size doesn't change so it puts prices out. You notice it esp in Tesco because they have 'cheaper than Dunnes' printed on the label. Then Dunnes bring the price back up and then the Tesco price goes back up.

Advertisement