Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Florida this summer

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I am moving to Sarasota this summer and wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me.
    My plan is to move and stay in a hotel or something similar for about three weeks while i look for accommodation.
    Is it possible to get a lease while waiting for ssn to be sent out? Will i just need a large deposit.
    Also is it even possible to open a bank account without your ssn.
    I plan on using the hotels address for the ssn to be sent too.
    Do i need my bank account first to set up for bills, or can i pay a deposit like here in ireland to open accounts for elc,gas,phone.
    I am traveling with a young family so my main conern is leasing a place to live in as soon as possible.

Any thoughts or coments much appricated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

- Is it possible to get a lease while waiting for ssn to be sent out?
    Yes, though you may need a bigger deposit (often two months instead of one), and print something off showing you are in the country legally (or show your passport with visa).

- Also is it even possible to open a bank account without your ssn.
    Depends on the bank; regional banks tend to be better at being flexible like that. They may open it but require you to bring in SSN within 30 or 60 days; this should not be a problem, you'll have it in 2-3 weeks.

- I plan on using the hotels address for the ssn to be sent too.
    Look into self-catering apartments too; there are lots in Florida. This may be a cheaper and nicer option, especially with kids.

- Do i need my bank account first to set up for bills, or can i pay a deposit like here in ireland to open accounts for elc,gas,phone.
    Probably depends on the state; here in Arkansas, you can pay a deposit and pay bills in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Thanks for that.

I was just a little worried it was going to take much longer than expected.Hopefully like you said we can leave a higher deposit for most things which is not a problem.
    We have permanent residencey(green cards) already,so hopefully it will all be straight forward.
    Thanks once again at least it has put my mind to rest:)

Advertisement