Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars in Blanchardstown village harassing people

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed how aggressive the beggars in Blanchardstown have become?

I just witnessed a pack of them harassing two people up the road, following them across the road even, begging them for money. I dunno what the story was, but I just overheard one of the people saying that if they didn't stop following them they'd be following them next to the police station.

I noticed myself lately that they just seem to be a lot more 'aggressive' about physical space now too, I've had some of them walk out in front of me, and so on. I've seen them siding up to people and walking with them briefly etc. etc.

I think probably anyone from Blanch knows the beggars I'm talking about... Would the gardai not go down and have a chat with them? Are the gardai even aware? Or just don't care?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's a Roma woman who sits in the passageway between Superquinn and the Main Street begging but apart from that I've never seen any other begging activity in Blanchardstown village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LookingFor wrote: »
    I think probably anyone from Blanch knows the beggars I'm talking about... Would the gardai not go down and have a chat with them? Are the gardai even aware? Or just don't care?

Do they read the boards even....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you talking about the one(s) outside Mace? There is usually at least one person and they can make it difficult to turn the corner if you try to get away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 EdwardHopper

Lookingfor - have you contacted the Garda yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

The Gardai don't give a crap about them. They move them from time to time but that's all. They've been dumping domestic waste in my housing estate and the police did nothing (they said they'd send a car around, yada, yada). Fingal CC didn't even answer the phone. I personally hate them. The live in 3-beds semis in my estate and do they pay for housing? God no! They drive fancy cars while mine won't pass the next NTC. Crime does pay, mark my words.

Also, it's been widely reported about a couple of (foreign) individuals driving a red/burgundy van and stealing clothes from the Enable Ireland clothes bins located in the Superquinn car park. I saw them with my own two eyes. I must have disrupted them when I parked behind them to drop glass at the bottle bank because one of them displaied a very threathenign attitude and basically ran me. I informed the police. I read on various forums that these individuals have been reported before. The police know them. Is anything being done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There's a Roma woman who sits in the passageway between Superquinn and the Main Street begging but apart from that I've never seen any other begging activity in Blanchardstown village.
    I believe I know the general area where this woman lives (I won't mention it here). I keep meaning to report her begging to the Dept of Social Protection to evaluate her rent allowance entitlement.

They're above the law and laughing at us all the way to the bank. Irish people's houses are being repossessed whille these locusts live the high life. I often see them around town with wads of money.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, enough with the xenophobic comments please. Beggars of any nationality, including Irish, are an unwelcome sight on the streets for a variety of reasons, so there's no need to start hurling abuse at any particular group purely because they're foreign.

That's the problem with society today. No one can voice their opinions for fear of being branded as racists. A lot of people share my views, they're just afraid to voice them. I lived on mainland Europe for a number of years where people's views of beggars are radical. It's a relatively new phenomenon in Ireland. I have no problem with Irish beggars, genuine people down on their luck whose houses have been repossessed (I actively support Focus Ireland and the Simon Community). I've been a leftie for years but it's time to wake up, people, they're bleeding us dry. Wake up and smell the flowers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That's the problem with society today. No one can voice their opinions for fear of being branded as racists.

Maybe it's not branding, they are just being racist.
    Like your comment earlier that you 'Hate them'. Sounds like racism to me.
    It's a relatively new phenomenon in Ireland.
    Not true, we've had beggars in this country for many hundreds if not thousands of years
    I have no problem with Irish beggars,
    So beggars are ok if they're the right race? More racism then.
    Wake up and smell the flowers!

Wake up and read the boards.ie terms of use, especially Section 4.

This thread is closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement