Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler keeps needing to be reset

• 25-01-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I have a Firebird heatpac 90-120. Before christmas, we got the boiler serviced and found the the oil pump needed replacement. €120 later and we were up and running but the following morning heat wouldn't turn on. At first I thought there was frozen pipes but eventually I noticed soot everywhere.

The plumber returned and changed the air damper settings and pressed a reset switch on the stat and things worked grand... for a while.

Over the past month, I have had to continuously press that reset switch on the stat after the heat has been off for a spell (sometimes first thing in the morning, other times after getting in from work) The soot has not returned.

I have no idea what's going on and the lad who serviced it is pointing towards the stat, which worked fine before I paid nearly €250 in servicing and parts.

Help needed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

Rob, the only experience of oil boilers is in my Mum's house. Not sure if it's relevant, but she experienced the following problem over Christmas (during the extreme cold weather).

The boiler would only run for a while, and had to be continually re-set. Phoned the service guy, he was up the walls and was not available. He said that several people were having problems with the oil freezing.

So I disconnected the oil line where it is connected to the filter. I ran some oil into a clear bucket and couln't believe the amount of gunge that was in the oil. Got the oil supplier out as we thought it could be a bad batch of oil. But the oil in the tank was clean. Turned out that the extreme cold weather had dislodged the matter that had been sticking to the inside of the pipe (over several years). So a quick clean of the oil filter and she has been running away since then.

So just check the oil supply to see if it is related to the recent artic conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

most boiler have 2 reset buttons. The over temp reset or stat button you refer to or the lockout reset button which is on the burner and lights up orange

if you have to keep resetting the stat button it means the temp that the stat is seeing in the boiler is typically running at higher than it should be.

You basically have a controller stat to set your temp of water which is somewhere between 55-95 deg C I think.

Then you have an over temp switch that will trip the switch you are talking about of the temp hits somewhere in the region of 110C. Again I stand to be corrected.

This was happening to me years ago and I changed the controller stat, cost was about 15quid I think and hasn't troubled me since.

The gurus on here though might have other suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DCCC

robdunne wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Firebird heatpac 90-120. Before christmas, we got the boiler serviced and found the the oil pump needed replacement. €120 later and we were up and running but the following morning heat wouldn't turn on. At first I thought there was frozen pipes but eventually I noticed soot everywhere.

The plumber returned and changed the air damper settings and pressed a reset switch on the stat and things worked grand... for a while.

Over the past month, I have had to continuously press that reset switch on the stat after the heat has been off for a spell (sometimes first thing in the morning, other times after getting in from work) The soot has not returned.

I have no idea what's going on and the lad who serviced it is pointing towards the stat, which worked fine before I paid nearly €250 in servicing and parts.

Help needed!

Hi
    Turn your boiler temp down to 7 at the dial beside the reset button
    this should do the trick

Advertisement