Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Home SP3 "Limited or no connectivity"

• 25-01-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

For the past few days my mothers Laptop hasn't been connecting to our wireless broadband. It happend after I cleaning off some malware off the computer. The wireless connection kept giving a "limited or no connectivity notice". I've tried connecting directly to the router and the same "limited or no connectivity notice" pops up.

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mary
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-0B-45-C4
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.147.218
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-14-05-27

As far as I can tell the computer isn't getting the correct IP settings and reverting to some windows default.

I've tried the repair function on the wireless connection and it got stuck at the following stage.

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action connot be completed:
    Renewing your IP address

I've tried ipconfig \release and \renew and I get the following errors respectivly.

Windows IP Configuration IP Address for adapter Wireless Network Connection 3 has already been released. No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 3 while it has its media disconnected.

Windows IP Configuration An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 3 : The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized. No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 3 while it has its media disconnected.

I've reset the router(Zyxel P-660 HW - T1 v3) a few times to no avail.
    I've also tried running this. Again to no avail.

My laptop is connecting perfectly to the same network.
    Last night the router decided to throw a wobbly as well. I was getting a persistant red light under "internet". I unplugged it for a few hours and when I turned it on again it connected ok. I don't know if these problems are related.

The router seems to ok for the moment, but the same problem persists with my mother's laptop.

I'm beginning to think the only thing for it is to reinstall windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Try setting an ip manually to test if it's just an ip issue or something worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddywroks

Should i use the modem Ip address or the Wan Ip Address? I used the modem Ip address and it seemed to connect but there was no internet.

Have to go into college now so I won't be able to post for a few hours.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

http://www.home-network-help.com/netsh-winsock.html

Try this. It worked for me in the past.

I entered the IP address, along with the subnet mask,default gateway and dns servers, manually and I no longer had the "limited or no connectivity" notice. It came up as connected but couldn't load any web page.

Insurgent, i also tried your suggestion with the manual settings and without. It made no difference unfortunately.

Any other ideas?

Use a unique ip address but within the range of the router. copy the settings your laptop picks up but change the last number of the IP address.

• Advertisement

Nope. Still coming up as connected, but the icon stays dark blue indicating its only connected locally.

Thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Set the laptop to acquire an IP automatically. Run the Windows repair on the wireless adapter (right click on it and repair). Turn off the laptop. Turn off the modem.
    There should be a factory reset on the wireless router - it may be a button, or more likely a pinhole big enough for a straightened paper clip. Do a reset.
    Then start the modem.
    After 2 minutes start the router, then start the laptop.

If you factory reset the router, it will usually clear the settings back to default.
    You might have to setup the internet connection again

Sorry I couldn't reply. The router wouldn't connect again after I reset it. Still the same problem with the other laptop. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and reinstall windows.

In XP you can do a repair install over the existing windows. That usually fixes issues like this without losing programs, settings and files.

• Advertisement

XP home sp3

cool I'll try that tomorrow.

Reinstalled XP. All is well thank god :D Would love to have known what went wrong.

Advertisement